Author Topic: Imowface's La-5FN wright up  (Read 834 times)

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
Imowface's La-5FN wright up
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:38:38 AM »
I have taken a break from the K-4, and have now moved on to getting a good handle on the La-5FN,
in my opinion, its sadly overlooked in aces high because of its big brother, the La-7. In reality though, the La-5FN, and La-7 are not as far apart
as many people think, the biggest similarity that some people may not know about is that both planes share the same Shvetsov M-82FN engine, with the La-7s M-82 being
slightly better tuned to squeeze every drop of performance out of it, due to their similar engines, the La-5, can almost match its brother for top speed on deck.
as far as compressability, the La-5 is a bit better then average, and will handle speeds of up to a bit over 500mph, any speed over 500 is not recommended though, as
you will most likely need to use trim to pull out of the dive. When I say handle, I also don't mean it will roll like a spit 16, but it wont break apart, and also at speeds above 450mph the controls get quite heavy. Now, as we slow things down a bit in the La-5 ( something I would recommend trying to avoid) the best turning speed for the La-5, from what I have found is about 180mph, when getting slow though, you really have to be carefull, as both La's will drop a wing without much warning,  and if you are to close to the ground, there is little or no chance that you will save it. so for the end of the speed part of my wright up, I will share my rule for the La-5, if you cant out run it, you can out turn it, which hasn't let me down so far, speed and energy do come in to play here, so I leave it to you to be the judge. as far as the cannon goes on the La-5, well, the ShVAK cannon are famously inaccurate in AH, they are not like the tater, as it is not as random and there is a trick to aim it, but the 20mm ShVAK's are hi and miss, you want to be in between 400yd out and 0yd and don't be upset if you find yourself missing allot of easy shots, I have held the dot right on the tail of a straight flying enemy and missed every single shot from about 300 out, so make sure you take the time to get used to how the guns fire, and try to guess how the bullets will fly out of it. and last but not leased, durability. I find that the La-5 is actually quite durable compaired to its adversary's, (spitfire,fw190,bf109)sometimes it can absorb damage like a P47, other times, it will lose parts, but still be flyable, also another thing to be noted, when your hit and get an oil leak, the M-82FN will last quite a long time before finally seizing up, while we are talking about fluids, I would also like to add, that due to the M/A's fuel burn, the most you can get out of the La-5 is about 30min with throttle and RPM settings, that is all I can offer right now, but as this is my first wright up, I'm sure I have missed things, so feel free to add/detract from it, as I hope this can be a good source of information for pilots new to flying the La-5FN

Thanks for your time guys  :salute
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Re: Imowface's La-5FN wright up
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
I would add that the La5 is a bit more responsive than the 7 and that it is easier to avoid overshoots and follow targets in moderate turns. You won't be able to run down the fast-movers in a tail chase, but they won't be able to extend and break away as easy. You can also employ the high-yo-yo more effectively, especially on those pesky Spits.

So if you want a more maneuverable but slightly less speedy and hard-hitting version of the La7, the La5 is a great ride to try out. I generally prefer flying it to the 7 if you really don't need the speed. Like my esteemed colleague says, it's probably one of the most underrated rides in the game.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
thanks you for your input Muzzy, I agree with what you have stated, I also forgot to add, as far as survivability goes, you really have to pump up your SA in the La-5FN, as until your enemy is D800 away, they will assume you are an La-7, so you will a rather hunted plane, as far as visibility from inside the cockpit I would say it is about on par with late war 109's, I say on par because though it has lots of frames up front, the straight back view  is what ties it up with the 109.
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:53:31 PM »
It kind of feels like flying in a bathtub as the pilot seems to sit rather low in the cockpit.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 06:03:50 PM »
It kind of feels like flying in a bathtub as the pilot seems to sit rather low in the cockpit.

It kinda gives me that supercar feeling. It's not super fast, but it will to generally everything generally well/good. In the right hands, it is definitely a ride to be wary of.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 04:49:58 AM »
the views is what kills it for me.

the views out of the yak and the la7 are both fantastic and i get spoiled.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »
La-7 has the same field of veiw as the La-5FN  :)
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 11:31:50 AM »
Keep flying the La5. You'll find more secrets in time. Just dont go telling everybody.     :D
325th Checkertails

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
Like the iPod dock and wicked sound system and the vodka dispenser?  O r should I not have said that?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows