Author Topic: Before Wishlisting it Sea Hurricane  (Read 1913 times)

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Re: Before Wishlisting it Sea Hurricane
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 05:55:41 AM »
Seafire III, I think full wing though.
A 1942 Sea Hurry would be fine. Either the middle one or the final one. Would make fun in Med ops. Tunisia for instance....

For a second there, i thought you wrote "1942 Sea Fury"... ahhh, if only Sydney Camm had worked weekends...

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 06:47:40 AM »
you may find that the sea hurricane only had the 8 .303 load out  as it was a MkIa
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline SDGhalo

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 12:04:45 PM »
you may find that the sea hurricane only had the 8 .303 load out  as it was a MkIa

Sea Hurricane Mk IA
The Sea Hurricane Mk IA was a Hurricane Mk I modified by General Aircraft Limited. These conversions numbered approximately 250 aircraft. They were modified to be carried by CAM ships (catapult armed merchantman), whose crews were entirely civilians and whose Hurricanes were crewed and serviced by RAF personnel, or Fighter Catapult Ships, which were Naval Auxiliary Vessels crewed by Naval personnel whose aircraft were operate by the Fleet Air Arm. These were cargo ships equipped with a catapult for launching an aircraft, but without facilities to recover them. Thus, if the aircraft were not in range of a land base, pilots were forced to bail out or to ditch.
Both of these options had their problems - there was always a chance of striking part of the fuselage when bailing out and a number of pilots had been killed in this way. On the other hand, ditching the Hurricane was problematic too. The radiator housing acted as a water brake, pitching the nose of the fighter downwards when it hit the water, while also acting as very efficient scoop, helping to flood the inside of the Hurricane so that a quick exit was advisable before the plane sank.[73] Then the pilot had to be picked up by the ship. In all, more than eighty modifications were needed to convert a Hurricane into a Sea Hurricane, including new radios to conform with those used by the Fleet Air Arm and new instrumentation to read in knots rather than miles per hour.[70] They were informally known as "Hurricats".
The majority of the aircraft modified had suffered wear-and-tear from serving with front line squadrons, so much so that at least one example used during trials broke up under the stress of a catapult launching. A total of 50 aircraft were converted from Hurricane Mk Is. CAM launched Hurricanes were used on 8 operational sorties and the Hurricanes shot down 6 enemy aircraft, for the loss of only one Hurricane pilot killed.[74] The first Sea Hurricane IA kill was an FW 200C Condor, shot down on 2 August 1941.[75]

Sea Hurricane Mk IB
Hurricane Mk I version equipped with catapult spools plus an arrester hook.[76] From July 1941 they operated from HMS Furious and from October 1941, they were used on Merchant aircraft carrier (MAC ships), which were large cargo vessels with a flight deck enabling aircraft to be launched and recovered. A total of 340 aircraft were converted. The first Sea Hurricane IB kill occurred on July 31, 1941, when Sea Hurricanes of 880 squadron, operating from HMS Furious shot down a Do 18 flying-boat.[77]

Sea Hurricane Mk IC
Hurricane Mk I[76] version equipped with catapult spools, an arrester hook and the four-cannon wing. From February 1942, 400 aircraft were converted. The Sea Hurricane IC used during Operation Pedestal had their Merlin III engines modified to accept 16 lb boost, and could generate more than 1400 hp at low altitude.[78] Lt. R. J. Cork was credited with 5 kills while flying a Sea Hurricane IC during Operation Pedestal.[79]

Sea Hurricane Mk IIC
Hurricane Mk IIC version equipped with naval radio gear; 400 aircraft were converted and used on fleet carriers. The Merlin XX engine on the Sea Hurricane generated 1460 hp at 6,250 ft and 1435 hp at 11,000 ft. Top speed was 322 mph at 13,500ft and 342 mph at 22,000 ft.[74]

Sea Hurricane Mk XIIA
Canadian-built Hurricane Mk XIIA converted into Sea Hurricanes.

I found these on wikipedia  and the Mk IC was equipped with fore wing cannons. and the Mk XIIA was a fighter bomber