Author Topic: X36 USB, CH Pro Pedals USB, Windoze ME.. loss of axis calibration  (Read 718 times)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Hi guys,

Each time I start up the computer, I have to remove and reattach my USB CH Pro Pedals in order to 'wake them up'.  

OK, I can live with that.  But what really bugs me is that each time I start AH, my joystick axis assignments have gone to hell.

My rudders are on the X36 throttle axis, elevator is on the Pro Pedals Z axis etc.  Every single time I start AH I have to go into Joystick setup and reset all axes to their correct flight control.

Anyone else having this problem?  And if so, did you find a workaround?

I'm using DX 7.0a just in case anyone thought I was running an old version  

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Aces High Training Corps

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
X36 USB, CH Pro Pedals USB, Windoze ME.. loss of axis calibration
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2000, 01:54:00 PM »
What are you running for the rest of your machine?

Specifically, what mainboard chipset is it?

VIA chipsets have "issues" with most of the Microsoft OS's when it comes to USB that can usually be solved with a patch from Microsoft and VIA's latest "4 in one" driver package.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 11-01-2000).]

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »
Not sure if I read this right. If you are going under the game software joystick settings and reassigning the axis, I would go and check to see if the Game Controller IDs have switched in Windoze (control panels/game controllers) This happens every so ofter to me under WinME when I had it and also under Win98se.
Personally I think it is a SGE1.4 and Saiteks HID wierdness but this ver is still much better than the previous ones.
I also find it a good idea to use the AH calibration routine before ever taking off. The USB pedals tend to start off in full deflection with out a good cycle before rolling.  my $.02

JimBear
VMF111 =DevilDogs=

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2000, 01:52:00 AM »
OK, well I still don't know how to cure the problem, but at least I now know what causes it.

I have both the X36USB and CHPro USB Pedals running under Win ME.

Now, since I fly other flight sims, I like to have the X36 combo assigned as #1 controller in Control Panel, the Pedals are #2.

BUT, from time to time, when I lose axis calibration within AH, I find that in Control Panel the controllers have switched assignments, so that the Pedals are now #1 and the X36 is #2.

So the question is this... is there any way to have the X36 assigned as #1 controller, and MAKE IT STICK?

Windows ME running on Duron 650 o/c 800 on an Asus A7V motherboard.

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2000, 11:42:00 AM »
"BUT, from time to time, when I lose axis calibration within AH, I find that in Control Panel the controllers have switched assignments, so that the Pedals are now #1 and the X36 is #2."

If you find out how, let ME know also. This happens under Win98se as well. Have tried plugging in the controlers in different ports on the usb hub, uninstall/reinstall the SGE software. It always comes back. It is habit now to check the controller IDs upon starting windoze. takes a sec but is worth it (still a pain)

funked

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2000, 01:49:00 PM »
Here's how I did it:  Removed both controllers in the control panel.  Then I shut down and restarted with no controllers.  

Then I added the controller I wanted to be #1.  Added it, shut down, restart.  

Then I added the controller I wanted to be #2.  Added it, shut down, restart.

From that point on they always came up with the right assignments.

I am still having the loss of calibration problem though (CH Combatstick USB).  Appears to be a Winblows problem and not just AH.

Win98, DX7.0a.  I'm using a CH Combatstick USB along with a gameport CH Combatstick/Pro Throttle/Pedals rig.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 11-04-2000).]

Offline gospel

• Zinc Member
      • http://http://www.ropescourse.org/flying.htm
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2000, 02:22:00 PM »
I've the same setup as you Funked.

When my usb combat stick goes out of calibration, I just move it to upper left and lower right and it calibrates itself.

I got in the habit of doing this every time I enter aces high and it seems to take care of the problem.

Sure is nice to be able to use a usb stick with analogue throttle and rudders, isn't it   .

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2000, 06:46:00 PM »
Salute aces

I recently ran into a similar problem:

I am using my X36 USB combo with CH Pro pedals without any problems for some time now. But last week the X-axis suddenly went off calibration (noticed it in AH). Flying AH is no problem because AH offers a very good (<S> HTC) stick setup and calibration routine - but it's impossible for me now to fly sims that use Windows calibration routine (like CFS2). As far as I know there is no way to recalibrate the X36 in Windows - tried everything:

- erased calibration info in windows registry
- used ctfj utility froms stickworks to center axis
- nuked and installed X36 again

NO EFFECT!!

Anybody out there who can help me? Heard of bad sticks that had such problems from the start - but mine worked fine until now.

system specs:

Duron700
Asus A7V
128RAM
GeForce256
SoundblasterLive
Microlink USB ISDN adapter
MS Intellimouse Explorer USB
Windows98
DX7.0a

[This message has been edited by Kirin (edited 11-04-2000).]
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
Ditch winblows ME (Mongrel Edition) and go back to win98 SE or win95 C

Faster, smaller, more reliable, less 'fail-safe treat-the-user-like-a-moron' features
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2000, 09:05:00 PM »
I have the same problem in win 98 with my
CH pro pedals. I sometimes have to recalibrate in mid-flight. It always is right
rudder. Beemer is having same problem as me.
Same systym, same controllers.
sax

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2000, 05:36:00 PM »
Never had the calibration problem myself, but I used to have the problem Jekyll mentions of having to wake the rudder pedals. (Saitek X36 USB with CH Pro Pedals USB here.)

I don't know if you noticed, but everytime you unplug your rudder pedals and plug them again, they go to another ID spot. I think that's why the joystick assignments go to hell. Maybe if you manually assign ID#2 to the CH Pro Pedals everytime, you won't loose the joystick axis assignments.

When I bought my X36 and my rudder pedals last July I had already been due for a complete reinstall, and I didn't want to spend time troubleshooting what I considered a minor problem. I finally reinstalled everything a month ago. That fixed my problem.

Incidently, that also fixed my problem with the "mouse" button, which had stopped working a few months ago. Now everything works fine, and I'm still quite happy with my HOTAS.

FunkedUp's suggestion should work. Use the NukeUSB and RemoveJoy utilities on the Saitek installation CD (they're not available on Saitek's web site) after you unplugged the USB controllers and removed them from the Device Manager (or whatever the English name is for that tab in the System control panel). Make sure you go to  Ron Hunt's Saitek Help web site and read the section about re-installing everything. He explains the use of NukeUSB and RemoveJoy.

Do as FunkedUp suggests. Install the Saitek combo first, shut down, restart, then install the CH Pro Pedals. Shut down. Restart.

That's what I did last time, and now my Saitek combo is on ID#1 and my pedals on ID#2.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2000, 02:20:00 PM »
Yes, Jekyll, I've had exactly the same problems with the same hardware that you have. For about three nights in a row I went through the same drill as you. Night four... evrything was fine, and has stayed that way for over a month now (unless I've just jinxed myself).

No idea what the problem really was... tried everything INCLUDING redownloading AH.

Sorry that's not much help, but you're not alone.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.