Author Topic: 325th Checkertail Documentary Released  (Read 906 times)

Offline Swoop73

• Zinc Member
325th Checkertail Documentary Released
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »
Folks, I'm only posting this here on FSO because most of you flying FSO are one way or another, into WW2 history.

For the last 3 years, an all volunteer project has been underway to make a documentary of the 325Th FG; mostly because, as an MTO FG, they got precious little coverage during the War. A little over 3 years ago, at the Gathering of Mustangs, a guy involved in making amateur movies about WW2 aviation met Checkertail ace, Barrie Davis. One thing led to another and soon, Neil Pugh "MysticPuma", actually an IL2 movie maker with an established reputation got talked into doing what he thought would be a 10 minute CGI based short on the 325Th. Cutt, Myself and JohnnyMac along with volunteers from Europe and the U.S. all started and as material begin to come in ...Photos, Film footage, and we begin to videotape interviews with surviving pilots, the whole thing snowballed into what is arguably the most ambitious project if its kind. All volunteer. No money has or will be made from it. After 3 years, "Checkertails, Part 1-The Legend Begins" has been released. It is in no way a "video" to be watched on a computer. It is a nearly 6 Gigabyte Hi Def ISO file you can download and burn to a duel layer DVD. Run time is an hour and 40 minutes. No...No footage was created with AH due to certain limitations of the AH film editor. I've been flying Aces High for over a decade and we all know how great the flight model and a lot of the graphics are but other software had to be used to create some of the aerial battles in the documentary. Just take it for what it is....a 3 year labor of love dedicated to some amazing people who went to war before most of us were born. This is for them and Cutt, JMac and I are very proud to have had a small part in it.

http://community.history.com/topic/24870

This link should get you to where you can download the file in a couple of formats. Enjoy.

"Had to...Had to keep 'em from the bombers"
325th Ace Art Fiedler on why he and 3 other Checkertails
charged into 40 FW 190's over Regensburg, Germany in Jan., 1945.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Re: 325th Checkertail Documentary Released
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »
Wow. Very cool Swoop!
I will see about downloading it.  :aok
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Swoop73

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »
Best bet is to go for the Torrent download of the Dual layer ISO file as this is meant for a large screen TV. There are instructions for grabbing uTorrent, a simple bit Torrent client. Once you have the approx. 6 gig .ISO, you do a "burn iso image" to a dual layer DVD and you are in business. There are other options. Neil Pugh has tried to give everyone an option, including streaming a highly compressed version that gets the story ac cross but is nothing like the real thing. You can Google "Checkertail movie" for other options.
"Had to...Had to keep 'em from the bombers"
325th Ace Art Fiedler on why he and 3 other Checkertails
charged into 40 FW 190's over Regensburg, Germany in Jan., 1945.

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »
took a quick look and it has my interest, so off to buy dual layer dvd's  :aok
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:24:27 AM »
A truly amazing movie!!!!  Everyone needs to watch this.  The interviews with the pilots and their actions while flying combat mission's are priceless.  Having had a chance to spend a few previliged hours with both Art Fielder and Barrie Davis (325th FG Aces) I can tell you there are many more stories to be told and part 2 will be even better than part 1 if you can believe that.

Listening and watching an interview with a pilot of P-40 that conducted Carrier takeoff's is worth watching just for the experience in itself.  Other interviews with the ground crews and pilots just isn't something your going to see on TV.  The details provided in sorties, ordnance dropped, destroyed enemy aircraft and friendly loss's tells a story all on to itself.  There are just to many details to discribe here and you need to watch it for yourself.

This is a outstanding movie and everyone needs to take the time to watch it.  It is a must for every AHII pilot in this game.

Offline Tippo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
Thank you for your time and effort. It was one of the best documentary on WWII I have ever seen. I was pleased with how much detail was provided.  No doubt, I will show it to others and watch it again many times.  Looking forward to part 2!

I chose the "mediafire" option and the video quality was excellent.
Swampdragons