Author Topic: new cap method: a visual comparison  (Read 3003 times)

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
Re: new cap method: a visual comparison
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 06:57:05 AM »
I wonder what would happen if there was another button - one that said "collect 5 free perk points" but placed you in the least populated arena on the least populated side for 10 minutes. It'd have to be the AH version of the Webkinz Wishing Well though, and only let you use it once per day.

<S>

NICE +1  That would work!
I can build em better than I can fly em
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/hotwire_2009/?

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
Switched orange to pink a while back. Result one on top gets the most.
Swaped the arenas with out name change I.E. blue on top , result more in top arena.
Swaped arenas but kept the orange name on top. Result more people in the top arena.

HiTech

Dynamically order the late war arena list by current # of players - the one with least players always on top
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Hey HTC, what do you think about the concept of removing the player #s entirely?

If we have caps that are dynamic, the caps work on both arenas equally, and the only two factors that typically change where people join are the order in the list, or the number next to the arena... remove the number, and set each arena to one of three status "Closed", "Full", "Open", and perhaps people will start caring less that they can't fly with the arena with 50 more?
Other suggestion? Have the client software flip which arena is is the top one. I.e. for one login blue is on top, next login, orange is on top.

I think by doing both, both arenas would grow together more smoothly (hopefullly), as opposed to 1 grow, 2nd then grows long enough for the first one to get more in again, and repeat ad-nauseum.

I think it might not be a bad idea for other arenas either, as I suspect some people avoid other arenas strictly because of the numbers.
(except give Lusche the ability to see numbers, because his charts are dreamy ;-) )
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 10:46:07 AM »
changing the names, dynamically ordering the list or flipping the list wont make any difference because most players want to play in the arena with most players. so whichever arena has most players will fill up quickest.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »
changing the names, dynamically ordering the list or flipping the list wont make any difference because most players want to play in the arena with most players. so whichever arena has most players will fill up quickest.

yep, thats the theory - and its probably right - but until now, experiments has only shown that people chooses the upper - and hence most populated - arena. By reversing, one factor is removed, and we then know for sure.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Spite

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »
I'm never against an experiment.  But not being completely clueless, I will look at the new "arranged" arena numbers and where ever the numbers are ... guess where I'm going.  ;)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »
As large map preference was mentioned, I tend to gravitate toward them as well. More airspace to eat up on climbout in bombers. Just a personal preference, nothing more.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
Hey HTC, what do you think about the concept of removing the player #s entirely?

I've mentioned this on numerous occasions.

At the very least it would stop the "arena X is dead" comments.

Are the numbers there as an advertising type gimmick?  "Look at how many play" thing?

I used to play a MMORG that actually started hiding its numbers to keep its business ups and downs away from its competitors.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
At the very least it would stop the "arena X is dead" comments.

You mean nobody would notice there ain't nobody in EW playing anymore just because the number at the door is missing? ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
Due to the popularity and cap limits of Orange, our squad flies Blue.  Otherwise, squad members are isolated from their squad due to limits. 

Unless I am reading it wrong, the chart does not show a 24 hr sample.  Perhaps, the bottom line for HTC would be the total number of players collectively. 

I can only speak for myself, playing "off hours" with slightly higher LW player base is more attractive.  The transition period  between booted players is reasonably a drop in numbers, but questionably are all of those booted re entering the LW arenas or logging off entirely.   It looks pretty consistent between the two graphs with the new system showing slightly higher numbers overall.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »
I'd also be curious to see some input from some of the more "win the war" type players.  I would imagine if they're trying to reset a map they would tend to stick to one arena as long as that map is up.  Can't say for myself because I don't really pay attention to these things but I would think if I put in several hours on a map trying to capture real estate on Monday night and the map hadn't been reset yet I would be inclined to log back into the same arena on Tuesday to try and continue the effort.
Just a guess though.

Hi Soulyss,
  I guess if I have to characterize myself, I'd say I'm a "win the war" type of guy, but I'm not a fanatic. ie: whenever a Rook mission gets posted, first thing I ask on country channel is "Is it an NOE?". If it is, I opt out, and say so on country channel..usually with a comment like: "It's for people afraid to fight the enemy.", etc...
  Anyway, the level of commitment/enthusiasm  by "win the war" guys is to me personally, and from what I can see of the Rooks in general these days
dependent upon the map in use at the time. I can tell you that the general consensus unless one is a dedicated "GV guy" is that the 250 field
maps are a unwanted and unliked. I'll leave it at that as this is not a "what kinda map do I want?" thread.
  What I will say is that if major decisions are being made, or in the process of being made with regards to gameplay, CAP numbers, that those making those
decisions should know that player methodology/interest is directly tied in to the current map(s) in use.
  Be wary of listening to a select few who utilize this BBS.
And, in the interest of "disclosure", I'll say here and now that I am a "Arena CAPs killed the squadron mentality" kind of guy, with the exception of fighter ops only squads.

Regards, Oddball

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 05:34:01 PM »
OK lushce,I realize you are trying to get a job with HTC HR.. :lol

But I must know how you come to the numbers on your chart..Statistics can be very maleable depending on how one looks at them,and I am curious to know.. :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 11:15:12 PM »
But I must know how you come to the numbers on your chart..

Login screen  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:21 AM »
I realize log in screen,but did you just sit and hit refresh for hours or what?? :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 10:40:12 AM »
In case someone is interested:
Two mondays with almost exact the same total population. One under the old caps system, the other is showing todays numbers.

(Image removed from quote.)

Time given is my local time (CET). The main difference is the time LWO needs to recover and get growing again past the 100 player limit.

Lusche always has interesting graphs.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)