Author Topic: Car help?  (Read 579 times)

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
Car help?
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
So, I've been gone forever and a day, but seems like I've gotten myself in a pinch. My mom's 01 Ford Taurus SES has bit the dust. Getting a click-click-click-click-click-click when I try to start. Having had the issue before in another car where the problem was the starter, I changed out the starter. We had a new battery around so put that in too. Went to start it up and there was a bit of a "pop" and the battery was all but dead. Had a friend out, so while I hooked up the jumper box, he fired up the car. It started up no problem with the jumper box. Let it run for a few minutes to let it charge some, and tried to start it under its own power again. When he tried to start it, I noticed a spark come out of the negative battery terminal and again it was dead. Wondering what the issue could be as I've been trying to fix it up as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for the replies,
Trig
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
Re: Car help?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:18 PM »
Needs a new battery...  Rapid clicking is usually battery,  single clicks usually starter.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »
Possibly the negative cable has come loose where it connects to the frame. Cap1 will probably be able to give you a better idea though.
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »
Sounds like you need to replace the battery and the cables.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:03:42 PM »
Possibly the negative cable has come loose where it connects to the frame. Cap1 will probably be able to give you a better idea though.

ya shoot him a PM  Cap1 is a good guy and will probably be able to tell you what you need to do. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:28 PM »
Definitely sounds like something surrounding the battery.  Most people don't have a new battery just 'lying' around, how do you know it was a good one?  Get the batteries tested, see if they will hold a charge, check your cables for obvious problems.  Seems like sparks should not be happening.  Sure you have a good connection just between the battery and the cable?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:31:05 PM »
So, I've been gone forever and a day, but seems like I've gotten myself in a pinch. My mom's 01 Ford Taurus SES has bit the dust. Getting a click-click-click-click-click-click when I try to start. Having had the issue before in another car where the problem was the starter, I changed out the starter. We had a new battery around so put that in too. Went to start it up and there was a bit of a "pop" and the battery was all but dead. Had a friend out, so while I hooked up the jumper box, he fired up the car. It started up no problem with the jumper box. Let it run for a few minutes to let it charge some, and tried to start it under its own power again. When he tried to start it, I noticed a spark come out of the negative battery terminal and again it was dead. Wondering what the issue could be as I've been trying to fix it up as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for the replies,
Trig

more often than not, that starter was ok. this car has what's called a "permenant magnet" starter. it's much smaller than what starters of the past have been, yet produces a lot more torque. when this type of starter goes bad, it generally doesn't make any noise of any sort. you also cannot "tap" test it like the old style starters.
 the rapid clicking you mention could be a couple of different things.
1)bad battery. remove the old one, and take it to a shop to be tested....or just put a new one in.
2)bad solenoid(if the vehicle has one...i believe this car does not)
3)dirty/bad/loose connections. this i believe is your current problem. you said it sparked from the negative terminal. this is indicative of a loose, and/or dirty connection here.
 remove both cables, and use a wire brush to clean the inside circumference of the cable ends....the part that contacts the battery terminals. wear safety glasses...DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT SAFETY GLASSES. reconnect both cables, and tighten them. wiggle em to make sure they're tight.......sometimes these things wear a bit, and although the bolts are tight, the end may not be tight on the terminal.

once you've done this, i think that if the battery is good, she should start up for ya.

lemme know if ya need anything else, ok?

john
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:35:34 PM »
Trigg,

Which metro area are you the closest to?  I know it's an odd question.  Depending on the area you live in AAA offers battery service (if you're a member).  The will come to your home, test your battery, clean terminals, post, check the charging and starting systems.   This a free service to all AAA members. 

AAA providers will also carry batteries on their light service vehicle, and some even new terminal ends and cable. 

Its a very good service. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:44:58 PM by 5PointOh »
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »
It's the negative terminal that's bad.  You have corrosion or a poor connection there.  Even with a bad starter there should be no sparks coming from the negative terminal.  Clean the battery posts and the cable ends and you should be good to go (also make sure the new battery is fully charged).  Sometimes the bolt can strip out, or the cable end itself can crack causing a not-so-good connection.

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:54:10 AM »
eh i has a question to!! 90 ford merc HORRIBLE smells come from battery when u been driving for a bit (we have replaced alternator and many battries) anyone got any ideas?
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 06:00:17 AM »
Dead cat under battery compartment?

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »
eh i has a question to!! 90 ford merc HORRIBLE smells come from battery when u been driving for a bit (we have replaced alternator and many battries) anyone got any ideas?
Alternator overcharging?
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 08:40:19 AM »
more often than not, that starter was ok. this car has what's called a "permenant magnet" starter. it's much smaller than what starters of the past have been, yet produces a lot more torque. when this type of starter goes bad, it generally doesn't make any noise of any sort. you also cannot "tap" test it like the old style starters.
 the rapid clicking you mention could be a couple of different things.
1)bad battery. remove the old one, and take it to a shop to be tested....or just put a new one in.
2)bad solenoid(if the vehicle has one...i believe this car does not)
3)dirty/bad/loose connections. this i believe is your current problem. you said it sparked from the negative terminal. this is indicative of a loose, and/or dirty connection here.
 remove both cables, and use a wire brush to clean the inside circumference of the cable ends....the part that contacts the battery terminals. wear safety glasses...DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT SAFETY GLASSES. reconnect both cables, and tighten them. wiggle em to make sure they're tight.......sometimes these things wear a bit, and although the bolts are tight, the end may not be tight on the terminal.

once you've done this, i think that if the battery is good, she should start up for ya.

lemme know if ya need anything else, ok?

john

All good advice.  :aok 

Also make sure the "hot" cable that brings power to the starter has a good connection on each end.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:00:14 AM »

what kind of smell? kinda like rotten eggs? if that's what you're smelling, your battery's being overcharged. what model car? some fords in the early 90's still had external mounted voltage regulators.......and you can throw all the alternators you want at it...if that regulator's bad, you're gonna have a problem.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)