Author Topic: How about arena polls for issues players REALLY care about?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: How about arena polls for issues players REALLY care about?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 04:35:59 PM »
Reading the forum always makes me shake my head at the complete disconnect between what people say here and what I hear/read on country and vox in the game. I just don't think this forum represents anything remotely approaching an accurate cross-section of the views of people actually playing the game. But then, I suppose anyone could say that.

So why not put it to the test?

We had arena polls - polls that reflecting the view of each individual who actually logged on and played, not the loudest-mouthed forum warriors - on new planes, so why not have them on issues that are probably more important to most people playing?

First up, arena caps. I'd bet $100 right now that if HTC put up a simple, one-question poll - "Should arena caps be done away with?" - at least 75% of the players logging on would vote "Yes". After that we could discuss questions like the new off-peak arena system, ENY, and whether the recent changes have put the base-taking aspect of the game out of balance, or whether people regard base-taking and strategic goals as an important part of the game at all. One good use to which the forum *could* be put might be suggesting and refining future poll questions.

Of course, HTC being a privately-owned business and not a democracy, there's nothing to say the results would have to be implemented or even disclosed. But at least it would give the company much more accurate feedback on how the people who actually pay the bills feel. After that they can decide whether to listen, or to go on introducing unpopular "solutions" that are worse than the problems and let the game keep shrinking at the rate it is now so they can all be looking for new jobs (and we players for a new game) in a year or two.

I'm sure this idea will bring plenty of flames from the usual forum blowhards who insist their opinions (expressed at LENGTH and with many spelling errors) are superior to and should carry more weight than those of the unwashed masses who actually, you know, PLAY the game (and yeah, by the way, also make its existence possible financially). Which is exactly my point.

So come on, HTC how about it? Don't you want to know what your paying customers really think? What have you got to lose?

...and if HTC followed the advice of that pole they would be out of business.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »
The real and only meaningful poll is the voting with dollars or money...

That's your vote OP...

There is a reason (and a good one) that HTC is NOT driven by the transient emotional sentiment of its customers...likewise...its a good thing this nation is not a democracy...and rather a Constitutional Republic...

When followers lead...tragedy, chaos and mayhem follow...

NO POLLS...

:salute

Oneway

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
...and if HTC followed the advice of that pole they would be out of business.
the base taking aspect has changed... people have noticed this. i just havent cared THAT much about that aspect to post on the forums about it
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »
polls are all very good but we must not lose sight of the point that whilst we play this game the employees of HTC earn their livelihood from it. Its serious business and not something to experiment with in a manner that induces any form of risk to the core revenue source.

Further that we opine about this or that  which may or may not make the game more favourable to the style of game we might want to play HTC have to ensure that any gameplay change does not  start a series of change and counter change that could cripple the game in a short period of time. For all that we here may have suggestions or opinions,  HTC has a wealth of experience in MMOG air combat game play and know how some decisions affecting game play also affect the bottom line.

Polls that are ignored do not enhance the reputation of the polsters. HTC should only  have polls when the are ready to carry out the results. If there is a possibility that the poll could suggest a strategm that HTC know to be bad for business then such a pole should not be posted.

From time to time there may be an increase in debate over gameplay but this does not mean  there is  a crisis of gameplay.    
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:23:35 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 05:18:50 PM »
Who wants to be polled every time they log on:

[ ] Me
[ ] Not Me
I want to be fallatiod.  Can I get that everytime I log on?  :)
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 09:07:20 PM »
Well he brought up a good point if you go into scores and look at a category that you havent scored in yet...

Today we see numbers around 3,072

When I started the game around tour 98 the numbers were---  5,913

Whether or not this actually means people are leaving I can't say.

But less people are playing actively it seems.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
Well he brought up a good point if you go into scores and look at a category that you havent scored in yet...

Today we see numbers around 3,072

When I started the game around tour 98 the numbers were---  5,913

Whether or not this actually means people are leaving I can't say.

But less people are playing actively it seems.

I think multiple people can have the same score.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 10:09:16 AM »
I do agree with Belial, I don't I have seen a ranking over 3500 in quite sometime.You can't go by the arena's being full either as an indication.This game is like anything else, after awhile it change/evolve whether we want it to or not.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 11:57:43 AM »
I think multiple people can have the same score.

The plane stats give you all players that had a kill or a death in any plane, gv, gun. Thus you can get all "active players" during a tour. The number went down to about 2/3rd during the last two years. Which is very much corresponding with the number of players logged in. The low point was once about 100 players (around mid day local time), now it's often below 60.

Of course, this is not meaning AH is dying, nor can you blame any single design decision or so for that. It's complex matter, and on top of that, we do know nothing about the business side of affairs.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:00:56 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 02:46:13 PM »
  One thing with the "polls" on AH is that when presented with the polling window, one is not advised
as to whether they can vote later or if "right now" is the deal.
  IMHO many, if not most guys didn't know what most of the initial plane choices were, and just jumped
at something they had heard of in the past.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
Who wants to be polled every time they log on:

[ ] Me
[ ] Not Me

[ ] Me
[ x ] Not Me
Lighten up Francis

Offline Amaazee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 06:38:25 PM »
[ ] Me
[ x ] Not Me

[ x ] Me
[ ] Not Me

Not.
[In-Game: Amaazee]
Road to Rangoon 2011
Überprüfung Sechs

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »
 :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »
Reading the forum always makes me shake my head at the complete disconnect between what people say here and what I hear/read on country and vox in the game. I just don't think this forum represents anything remotely approaching an accurate cross-section of the views of people actually playing the game. But then, I suppose anyone could say that.

So why not put it to the test?

We had arena polls - polls that reflecting the view of each individual who actually logged on and played, not the loudest-mouthed forum warriors - on new planes, so why not have them on issues that are probably more important to most people playing?

First up, arena caps. I'd bet $100 right now that if HTC put up a simple, one-question poll - "Should arena caps be done away with?" - at least 75% of the players logging on would vote "Yes". After that we could discuss questions like the new off-peak arena system, ENY, and whether the recent changes have put the base-taking aspect of the game out of balance, or whether people regard base-taking and strategic goals as an important part of the game at all. One good use to which the forum *could* be put might be suggesting and refining future poll questions.

Of course, HTC being a privately-owned business and not a democracy, there's nothing to say the results would have to be implemented or even disclosed. But at least it would give the company much more accurate feedback on how the people who actually pay the bills feel. After that they can decide whether to listen, or to go on introducing unpopular "solutions" that are worse than the problems and let the game keep shrinking at the rate it is now so they can all be looking for new jobs (and we players for a new game) in a year or two.

I'm sure this idea will bring plenty of flames from the usual forum blowhards who insist their opinions (expressed at LENGTH and with many spelling errors) are superior to and should carry more weight than those of the unwashed masses who actually, you know, PLAY the game (and yeah, by the way, also make its existence possible financially). Which is exactly my point.

So come on, HTC how about it? Don't you want to know what your paying customers really think? What have you got to lose?

+1     I am sure that HTC reads all forums and does take into account what people are talking about..

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game