Author Topic: Resolution vs. Depth Perception  (Read 293 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Resolution vs. Depth Perception
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »
I've been helping out a few squad-mates with their video settings, and it has come to my attention that they are having problems hitting things and judging distances under certain resolutions.  At first I just played it off as just something 'to get used to' but after doing a bit of testing on my own, I have drawn the conclusion that this might be a legitimate bug in Aces High.

I had one squaddie who was running 1280X1024 stretched out on a widescreen monitor who feels the image is now distorted at 1680X1050 (and to be fair he did go FROM a distorted image) so I told him to just deal with it until he gets used to it.

Then I had another squaddie who had issues judging shots at 1920X1080 but then claimed everything was fine at 1600X900.  Again I thought it was all in their heads.  I told him to make sure that the Field of View was being assigned the same amount for both resolutions to make sure that isn't the problem (and it was - at 106).

Then I played with a couple of resolutions on my own.  Using a 1920X1200 monitor, I selected it, 1680X1050, and 1440X900 and took screenshots at all three resolutions sitting in the same hangar with the same plane at the same base offline to see if there were any noticeable differences.  Oddly enough, at 1920X1200 and 1440X900 I could see the ack firing in the background while sitting in the hangar, but at 1680X1050 I could not see the ack tracers from inside the hangar (yes I verified enemy drones were flying around from f3 mode).

The biggest difference I noticed between all three screenshots is the text in the text buffer.  At 1920X1200, the same text is about 15-20% less wide, taking up less space and much less 'blockier'.  At 1440X900 the text is VERY blocky.. almost in BOLD formatting... and at 1680X1050 it is less blocky, but just as wide.

Anyway, this makes me wonder.. if the fonts can vary so much with different resolutions (keep in mind that Aspect Ratio and Field of Vision remained unchanged) then perhaps the 'distance' of an enemy plane or tank can vary greatly as well.  I hope HT can look into this deeper and see what they can do to keep it an even 'playing field' across the board of resolutions.

Here are the screenshots I took below.  The ONLY thing I did to manipulate the images was to resize them all to 1440X900 so that all three screenshots end up being the same size in the post so they can be compared evenly:

1440X900:

1680X1050:

1920X1200:

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Resolution vs. Depth Perception
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »
I don't think so........

I would assume the text(font) has a specific pixel distance so changing resolution resizes the text but not necessarily anything else. 

Not saying you are wrong, but I don't think the text would be a good "litmus test." 

:salute
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:43:26 PM »
I don't think so........

I would assume the text(font) has a specific pixel distance so changing resolution resizes the text but not necessarily anything else. 

Not saying you are wrong, but I don't think the text would be a good "litmus test." 

:salute

See that's not the case either.  If you look at the width of the text at the 1440 and the 1680 resolutions, it is exactly the same length, whereas at the 1920 resolution is is much more narrow.

I will agree though... the size of the text does not necessarily have anything to do with the size of enemies at certain distances (as proportional to the size of other objects such as the gunsight) BUT it does open up the possibility that if they did get the text wrong, then perhaps they got the distance sizing wrong as well at certain resolutions.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »
That is a tad bit strange, I didn't see that they were so close. 

I bet Lusche knows..............   :eek:
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.