Author Topic: New Panther Tank  (Read 21223 times)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
Re: New Panther Tank
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2010, 04:16:11 AM »
Most WWII tanks used braked or controlled differential steering systems that could not neutral turn.

The Tiger was the first production tank with the Maybach double differential steering system, allowing it to neutral turn. It was designed by Henschel based on the Merritt-Brown gearbox used on the Churchill tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWSYa7b3Vjo

"STEERING UNIT
Steering is effected by imposing different speeds on to the sun wheel of an epicyclic, whose annulus is positively driven by a bevel meshing with the main gearbox output bevel, and whose planet carrier carries the output flange to the final drive. There is one of these epicyclics at each end of the bevel shaft meshing with the gearbox output bevel.

The direction and speed rotation of the sun wheel and the choice of left or right hand sides are governed by the engagement of two or four hydraulically operated multi-disc clutches. These clutches connect the sun wheels through a lay shaft meshing with the small bevel on the extension of the gearbox input shaft. In this way a choice of two speeds both proportional to engine speed, is imposed at will upon the sun wheel of the epicyclic whose annulus is already rotating at a multiple of engine speed according to the gear engaged. In addition, in neutral with no output from the main gearbox bevel, a drive is still obtained from the bevel on the extension of the gearbox input shaft, and this produces with the engagement of the appropriate steering clutch opposing rotations of left and right sun wheels. As the annuli are unable to rotate in opposite directions owing to their being secured to the same shaft this opposite rotation of the sun wheel, of necessity, produces opposite rotation of the output flanges, resulting in a neutral turn. For one full revolution of both output flanges the gearbox input flange performs 117 revs.

Oil pressure from a pump driven by an extension of the fore and aft gearbox shaft is admitted to the required steering clutches through ports in the steering assembly casing, the opening of which is controlled by a piston valve. Movement of piston valve is governed by the driver's steering wheel. In this way two distinct radii of turn are available for each gear engaged, and identical for left and right turns. A mushroom shaped knob on the gearbox casing operates hydraulically a brake on one section of the main shaft, thereby eliminating clutch drag and making the neutral turn more positive.

The tank can also be steered when required by steering levers on each side of the driver which operate the right and left brake assemblies."
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2010, 09:12:21 AM »
 :aok :aok
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2010, 09:51:26 AM »
Panthers were delivered in plain dark yellow from the factory up until late 1944. This was standard camo for German armour in the 43-44 timeframe. The army depots or front line units camouflaged the vehicles with green and red brown paint as needed. From Sept 44 the tanks were camouflaged in the factory. Three colour camo schemes were applied direct to the primer to save paint and unseen areas were just left in primer. In 1945 the official scheme changed again, Panthers were supposed be painted base green with the other two camo colours applied above. However in reality all sorts of schemes were used as paint supplies dwindled.

The default Panther is from Kampfgruppe Peiper and was knocked out in an ambush near Stoumont in the Battle of the Bulge. It has a late 1944 MAN factory three colour camo scheme applied onto primer. I picked this scheme because it has more green in it than an earlier Panther and so would blend in with the MA terrain better.

I've done several skins for the Panther with earlier schemes and zimmerit paste applied, I'll post screenshots in the skins forum once the new version is out.

Hi Greebo, great work as always!

So are all those extra skins earlier schemes? I was just thinking that the so called ambush camo that was intruduced rather late in the war would look mighty cool on the Panther! ;)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2010, 10:55:58 AM »
die hard got it for me but bighorn i cant find anywhere in that where it says it would...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »
Hi Greebo, great work as always!

So are all those extra skins earlier schemes? I was just thinking that the so called ambush camo that was intruduced rather late in the war would look mighty cool on the Panther! ;)

One of my skins is done in what is termed "disc camouflage", which is the MAN factory version of the ambush scheme. The other two are earlier schemes, base dark yellow with red brown and green mottling. What I think you mean though is the Mercedes factory's ambush scheme, which has lots of dots covering the camouflage. I haven't done one of those, but may do so when I get time, assuming someone else doesn't do it first.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »
where's all the world of tank guys w/ their 2 cent input ????
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »

they spent their 2 cents on tank up grades and now they are broke!
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »
Seems this thing is a beast long range i cant wait  :x :x
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »
lol, I just wanna wait to see the dispute !
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2010, 11:28:13 AM »
One of my skins is done in what is termed "disc camouflage", which is the MAN factory version of the ambush scheme. The other two are earlier schemes, base dark yellow with red brown and green mottling. What I think you mean though is the Mercedes factory's ambush scheme, which has lots of dots covering the camouflage. I haven't done one of those, but may do so when I get time, assuming someone else doesn't do it first.

Yeh, I'm talking about that one, small dots applied over the basic camo. Looks cool. :)

Something like this:

(A nice 3D-model but maybe not the best depiction of the paint scheme itself.)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline chris3

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »
moin

i have to say thank you very much HTC to bringing this tank :salute.

cu christian

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2010, 01:45:38 PM »
die hard got it for me but bighorn i cant find anywhere in that where it says it would...

Here, it's marked in bold:
...opposite rotation of the sun wheel, of necessity, produces opposite rotation of the output flanges, resulting in a neutral turn.

You can see that clearly on that animation die hard posted.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2010, 01:59:36 PM »
Here, it's marked in bold:
...opposite rotation of the sun wheel, of necessity, produces opposite rotation of the output flanges, resulting in a neutral turn.

You can see that clearly on that animation die hard posted.
ty <S>
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »

I swore I would have no say in this. So I'll say .....

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2010, 11:32:19 PM »

Probably busy playing WoT.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song