Author Topic: Unperk everything in Latewar  (Read 13029 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Unperk everything in Latewar
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »
No K-4 in mid war :(

Hell no.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2010, 03:40:08 PM »
I could at least respect you guys if you argued that the game is balanced now.  But your complete neglect for the concept of balance is what is really riduculous.

+ 1000

They're only "discussing" by deliberately misunderstanding and misstating what the other side is saying.

In NFL and NCAA football, it takes 10 yards to get a first down. If you made it 30 yards, the game would be terrible. All games would be 3-0 "defensive struggles" in which 9 out of 10 series would be three and outs. This is not because quarterbacks suck or receivers are whiners or running backs have no 733t skillz, it is because in a game which balances skilled offensive players against equally skilled defensive players, the rules must create an arbitrary and artificial balance by making the goal for the offense something that is reasonably achievable, but not so easy that it's impossible for the defense to prevent. Given equally skilled offensive and defensive players, it will be relatively rare for the offense to gain 30 yards in 3 plays consistently enough to move the ball downfield and score touchdowns.

Likewise, given equally skilled offensive and defensive players, it would be so easy to move 5 yards in three plays that it would happen every series and no one would ever have to punt or try a field goal, there'd be a touchdown every time.

10 yards strikes a good balance and makes for good gameplay.

What a lot of us have been saying is that the base-taking aspect of AH has gotten out of balance. It takes 30 yards to get a first down, therefore first downs are rare and no one ever scores a touchdown. This isn't because the offense sucks - after all, 90% of the people who care about base-taking and war-winning play both defense and offense in this game - it's because the arbitrary balance created by the game is out of whack. Given equally skilled play by offense and defense, the defense will usually win. It's not impossible to take bases, but it's difficult enough that no one can take enough in a short enough amount of time to win the map. There are no reasonably achievable strategic goals.

(The exception being the situation we saw earlier in SFMA, where two sides ignore each other and gang up on the third for an unusually extended period, but then of course you can't win the war that way either, as we've seen, all you can do is create an incredibly lopsided game.)

A bunch of people on thse forums read that, and somehow translate it to "I suck and haz no skillz and this game is 2 hard." Which is not remotely what is being said.

I think the root of the problem here is what grizz has identified: some of the "furballers" here don't care about that balance and don't even recognize its existence or the validity of the concept, because they despise the entire base taking/strategic aspect of the game. What they wan't isn't for base taking to be appropriately difficult, it's for base taking to be infinitely difficult, so that no one bothers with it and everyone plays the way they want, which is to mindlessly furball with no strategic goal in mind. Why should anyone ever want to end a perfectly good fight by taking the base?

That is, of course, not what HTC are trying to achieve - they are trying to make it appropriately difficult and strike a proper balance. The criticism is that they are in error and what we have now isn't a proper balance, it's an endless 3-0 "defensive struggle" (complete with massive hordes since that's the only remaining practical way to take defended bases). Their changes have not produced the results they intended.

And what unperked 262s have to do with any of this, I can't imagine. It's just something deliberately stupid that has been tossed out to derail the discussion. Guppy is trying to make the people he disagrees with look ridiculous and stupid, by saying something he knows is ridiculous and stupid and pretending it's what they're saying when it is perfectly obvious that it isn't.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »
I'd forgotten my old game id from the old DOS Kesami days a few years ago and ran across a scrap of paper I'd written it down on while I was going through some old books.
I can't believe what I paid to play that game once a week for an hour or two. I had to pay long distance charges at the time while I was stationed in Valdosta GA in pre internet days.
None of the guys I used to fly with are around as far as I know.Drum, SEeagle, and Totenkopf. Sheesh it won't be long now until that was 20 years ago...  :confused:

Actually you are one of the guys I think I can remember  :D  I can also feel your pain because I was based at Moody
during the early 80s.  I had a cruddy old Atari computer and modem that apparently did not hang up when I did.  So one
month in 1983 I got a $1,000 bill from AT&T and a $2500 from Compupuke. 

I was able to get AT&T to drop alot of the charges when the bill showed simultaneous calls from the same number
to the same number, but the expletive-deleted's at Compuserve charged me the full amount.  Rough when you were
only grossing $12K a year. 

Other than that, Moody was ok  :aok
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
     I notice alot more drama coming from the landgrabbers.  Unless you are screwing up the furballs, the air to air
guys don't seem to give much of a toss.  

Also, could someone remove the hook from vLoki before he has a stroke or something  :lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:53:44 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
I think the root of the problem here is what grizz has identified: some of the "furballers" here don't care about that balance and don't even recognize its existence or the validity of the concept, because they despise the entire base taking/strategic aspect of the game.

First off, I must call you out and say that is the most ignoramous statement Ive heard so far. Furballer/landgrabber/milker/porker..whatever are in TOTAL agreement that the providing the base taking element is a crucial dynamic to the game.
Without it, would make for a very boring game. No reason to fly into enemy territory, no reason to pork, no reason to GV other than just to land kills and get your name in lights.
The whole base-taking premise is there for 2 countries to duke it out and have the victor win.  In other words, give a sporting chance, use skill and strategy instead of sneakiness. You'll get a lot more <S> and respect that way.

Most consider the old way to be unbalanced. Too easy to smash grab, so consider the revisions that are more challenging to counter it.

Too many whines and too many egos are shattered because of lack of patience. The base take is still there for you to play, but as there is a huge learning curve to be a fighter in this game..now accept that its in base-taking
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2010, 04:35:21 PM »
First off, I must call you out and say that is the most ignoramous statement Ive heard so far. Furballer/landgrabber/milker/porker..whatever are in TOTAL agreement that the providing the base taking element is a crucial dynamic to the game.

You must have corky and shuffler on bbs ignore then because they are completely ignorant to this point you make.  :lol

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »
Furballer/landgrabber/milker/porker..whatever are in TOTAL agreement that the providing the base taking element is a crucial dynamic to the game.

You must read a different BBS and play a different game than me...  :confused:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »
 Late war would become another DA lake with most in Temps or 262s.

~AoM~

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2010, 05:01:43 PM »
Late war would become another DA lake with most in Temps or 262s.

Just in one arena. The other arena will be the same as it is now. That way the folks who like the way it is now can fly in their arena..... the folks who think it is too hard, too perked, too whatever can fly in their arena.

The wide open arena would be doomed IMHO but folks will go there initially thinking that is what they want.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:20 PM »
wish I could quote......this particular player would LOVE for the ''war'' aspect of this game to be gone.......an all gv arena.....sonds awesome..........I think the war in AH is lame at best........someone said the game is about taking fields.........WRONG the game is about combat......Aces High........not aces low.........it aint about the war and i dont give a ...... how many people come in here and say it is.   im done.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »
wish I could quote......this particular player would LOVE for the ''war'' aspect of this game to be gone.......an all gv arena.....sonds awesome..........I think the war in AH is lame at best........someone said the game is about taking fields.........WRONG the game is about combat......Aces High........not aces low.........it aint about the war and i dont give a ...... how many people come in here and say it is.   im done.

Careful Ink, Grizz will be after ya for that one.  Trust me, I know :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2010, 05:36:16 PM »
I blame Snailman for this thread.  How can you let non logic run so rampant?  :furious

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »
I blame Snailman for this thread.  How can you let non logic run so rampant?  :furious

I'm too busy thinking of new ways to ruin the game...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2010, 05:48:18 PM »
I'm too busy thinking of new ways to ruin the game...

:lol

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
+ 1000

They're only "discussing" by deliberately misunderstanding and misstating what the other side is saying.

In NFL and NCAA football, it takes 10 yards to get a first down. If you made it 30 yards, the game would be terrible. All games would be 3-0 "defensive struggles" in which 9 out of 10 series would be three and outs. This is not because quarterbacks suck or receivers are whiners or running backs have no 733t skillz, it is because in a game which balances skilled offensive players against equally skilled defensive players, the rules must create an arbitrary and artificial balance by making the goal for the offense something that is reasonably achievable, but not so easy that it's impossible for the defense to prevent. Given equally skilled offensive and defensive players, it will be relatively rare for the offense to gain 30 yards in 3 plays consistently enough to move the ball downfield and score touchdowns.

Likewise, given equally skilled offensive and defensive players, it would be so easy to move 5 yards in three plays that it would happen every series and no one would ever have to punt or try a field goal, there'd be a touchdown every time.

10 yards strikes a good balance and makes for good gameplay.

It's a really good analogy. 

Dadsguns has a differing opinion that I can respect.  He has stated that he thinks the game is balanced still but it will just take more time for land grabbers to maximize base taking efficiency.  I disagree, but I at least respect that point of view.