Author Topic: Strange display 'happenings'...  (Read 346 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Strange display 'happenings'...
« on: April 10, 2001, 12:29:00 PM »
I've had my system for a couple of months now and have had no problems, except for one.

After running AH and exiting, not a single icon would be clickable and no program could be loaded from the Start menu. I posted here about it and got some great advice.

I decided that maybe it was a driver issue, so I installed the new Hercules 7.52 driver (based on the Nvidia driver) for the Prophet II Pro card I have. Things seemed a bit better - the problem detailed above became more intermittant. I thought I would try the Detonator 6.50 drivers from Nvidia (which are older than the Hercules 7.52 drivers).

My frame rate in AH went up by 10FPS and smoke seemed to slow down the computer less. The GUI 'freezing' seemed to go away.

But now I have a new problem. While using the dial-up program within windows the picture seems to flicker at the edges. Weirdly, as soon as I close the dial-up program connection to the internet (just done it now) the flickering stops and the picture is perfectly still. I re-installed the 7.52 drivers, but the problem is still there.

An idea I have is that the sudden power needs of the modem somehow affect the video card. But why didn't I get this before I installed the new drivers?

I'm really, really stuck with this one. Has anyone heard of this or experienced it?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
I had the same problem <and still do>. I found that my HD's would spin down 'cause I have them set to do so. What I found is that if I try to open "My Computer" the HD's would eventually spin back up and the 'puter would function properly. Sometimes it takes a full minute to do so though. I will leave it like this because I'd rather save wear n tear on the HD bearings since they are idle for the 1-3 hours I fly daily.

------------------
Lars
***MOL***
Men Of Leisure

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2001, 07:51:00 PM »
S!

What I have noticed is that every single time I play AH and exit it,I have to reboot BEFORE starting any new games or programs.In a some weird way AH messes up the system and makes errors like: ddhelp.exe or <unknown> in blahblah.To ensure smooth operation,I reboot before starting something new.Anyone elsa having this prob?I am running WinME,DX 8.0a,Ati Radeon 64Mb,Abit KT7A,1 GHz AMD.Drivers are newest available and settings are far from highest,more on the "stable settings" side.

------------------
DB603
3.Lentue
Lentolaivue 34

MrSiD

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2001, 01:10:00 AM »
I've had no stability problems whatsoever in W98SE or W2k pro when playing Aces High. And take into notice this is with heavily overclocked computer using NED's.. LOL

Only lockups have happened when hosting h2h games, even those are now gone due to patching.

WinME could be the cause of your problem, I havenīt heard anything good about it.

OTOH if you have random system errors, flickering windows etc. crap, there is a strong chance your problems are in hardware not software. Try a CLEAN reinstall of the whole operating system and drivers (I hope you have partitioned C: for system files only  ), if that won't fix the problems, I'd start looking for the reason in hardware setup. Might be something as simple as false agp bus speed or irq conflict.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2001, 07:52:00 AM »
That's just it. I'm using Win98 and this 'flickering while modem on' problem didn't occur until I started messing around with the drivers. It was rock solid before.

There are no conflicts according to Device Manager.

I'm sure a re-install would work, but I really don't want to do that.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2001, 10:23:00 AM »

Originally posted by DB603:
S!

What I have noticed is that every single time I play AH and exit it,I have to reboot BEFORE starting any new games or programs.In a some weird way AH messes up the system and makes errors like: ddhelp.exe or <unknown> in blahblah.To ensure smooth operation,I reboot before starting something new.Anyone elsa having this prob?I am running WinME,DX 8.0a,Ati Radeon 64Mb,Abit KT7A,1 GHz AMD.Drivers are newest available and settings are far from highest,more on the "stable settings" side.

DB603, I know what your problem is.  I bet you upgraded to the Radeon from another video card and did not remove the previous video drivers properly before upgrading?
Read this http://www.benchdata.com/hints/install.html

The DDHELP.EXE error message is almost always associated with incorrectly installed video card drivers.

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2001, 05:48:00 PM »
S!

Thanx Skuzzy for the link!Only upgrade I made though was from 32Mb Radeon to 64Mb Radeon.I will take a look in the registry etc. to see if there's something left of the old stuff I had ages ago.Thanx again guys!Great info and useful tips.

------------------
DB603
3.Lentue
Lentolaivue 34