Author Topic: For the 190A5 fans. Paul Allen's real 190A5 has flown.  (Read 1607 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: For the 190A5 fans. Paul Allen's real 190A5 has flown.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 02:44:14 PM »
Pretty sweet, 190 is a tank with wings.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »
Now there is a living example of A5, HTC can rectify now the stall characteristics and turn radius data of our carton plane.

Doesn't work that way... It's rebuilt. Does it have pilot armor? Guns? Ammo? Armor on the ammo bays? Armor on the oil ring? What engine does it have? Is it even remotely similar to the original?

Even IF it could be ballasted somehow to represent the real aircraft weights, and IF that ballast was all in the correct spots so as to simulate historical center of gravity, it would never be run at war emergency power for flight testing when (assuming it has the real engine restored) there are few spare parts and the thing is so rare it must stay safe for the rest of its life.

It will fly, for sure... But I doubt it'll ever reach historic war-time performance numbers because it will either be underpowered, overpowered (if they use a newer engine to replace the old and it has more power) or seriously underweight.

Too many variables, and I doubt that Paul Allen wants to go through all that effort just to appease nerdy (yes! Nerdy! I said it! I'm in that group too!) flight sim cartoon jockeys.

The man's a multi billionaire probably. He flies WW2 aircraft FOR FUN. Doubt he cares about the flight sim debates on the modeling of Fw190s and turn radii.

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 06:42:54 PM »
Doesn't work that way... It's rebuilt. Does it have pilot armor? Guns? Ammo? Armor on the ammo bays? Armor on the oil ring? What engine does it have? Is it even remotely similar to the original?

Even IF it could be ballasted somehow to represent the real aircraft weights, and IF that ballast was all in the correct spots so as to simulate historical center of gravity, it would never be run at war emergency power for flight testing when (assuming it has the real engine restored) there are few spare parts and the thing is so rare it must stay safe for the rest of its life.

It will fly, for sure... But I doubt it'll ever reach historic war-time performance numbers because it will either be underpowered, overpowered (if they use a newer engine to replace the old and it has more power) or seriously underweight.

Too many variables, and I doubt that Paul Allen wants to go through all that effort just to appease nerdy (yes! Nerdy! I said it! I'm in that group too!) flight sim cartoon jockeys.

The man's a multi billionaire probably. He flies WW2 aircraft FOR FUN. Doubt he cares about the flight sim debates on the modeling of Fw190s and turn radii.

Have to agree with Krusty on this one.

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »
 :aok
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 11:10:11 PM »

For what it's worth, Allen has made sure to rebuild his birds to factory specs so it would have the guns, armor etc.    Would he send it out to play?  Doubt it. Way too rare.  First real 190 to fly in 60 years.

It is a BMW engine.  The real deal all the way
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »
It is a BMW engine.  The real deal all the way
i would love to hear it do a flyby, just once.    :aok
-AoM-

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 12:11:54 PM »
what's the U3 designation?

"Fw 190A-5/U3 - fighter-bomber with the ETC 501 bomb rack and without MG FF cannons. After a change of designation this was serially produced as Fw 190F-2. There was also a desert variant with dust filters designated as A-5/U3/tp (F-2tp)."

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »
It always impresses me to see an old piece of equipment brought back to life. Neat stuff :aok

Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 12:53:26 PM »
It always impresses me to see an old piece of equipment brought back to life. Neat stuff :aok

Pipz

That sounds like Mrs Pipz talking  :D 

P.S. PLEASE don't serenade me Pipz, it was just a joke..I promise!

Phan
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 09:02:47 AM »
i would love to hear it do a flyby, just once.    :aok

I'll get to see it at his museum along with the 262 next door   :D
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »
     That sounds like Mrs Pipz talking  :D 

P.S. PLEASE don't serenade me Pipz, it was just a joke..I promise!

Phan

Oh I cant wait to get you in Vox range.....maybe I can get Silat in on this.......whats that wingman command again?........<G>

Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 10:58:25 PM »
nice!
-AoM-

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:55 AM »

Where is that by the way?  :headscratch:

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
id love to see a 262 on display somewhere.  :)
Proud member and Flight Leader of the 125th Spartan Warriors
<<S>> SWkiljoy