Author Topic: Task Group Battles in the FSO?  (Read 294 times)

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
Task Group Battles in the FSO?
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:38:33 PM »
To the CM's:

I was wondering if were possible to have a set up in which Task Group's (minus the CV), just the CA's and DD's could be intergrated into a scenario.  The scenario would have to be one in which either surface ships were used historically or the scenario has to have a large body of water in the mapsheet.  Much in the same way the GV battles have been run except with 2 Task Groups positioned say 18 miles from each other to start.  No PT's just the big guns and go at it.  Maybe extra hardness to keep the battle going for a while.  And if wishes were fishes the Task Group would be made up of nothing but 8 CA's against 8 CA's for a big gun shoot out.  Keep it all in a grid.  This would allow surface ship tactics to be used.

During the ship battle pilot lives would not be limited so that as guns got knocked out you could man another.  But you would be limited to only the ship battle until it was over (last ship sunk).

Allow AC into the engagement zone as well but make all of the guns manable.  AC could be used as spotters or to attack the ships.  And provide points like normal.

Once the Ship battle was over (H+60) those squads could get a second life in a fighter.

I don't know if there would be an issue with the logs or not.  But it would be fun to try I think.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Task Group Battles in the FSO?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:29:01 AM »
Its already been done. So the short answer is yes and I am sure we will see another FSO with a TG battle in the future.  :aok

Found the setup here is an excerpt. From "Guadalcanal, The Green Hell" FSO:

NAVAL SURFACE BATTLE
====================
Guadalcanal and the Solomans campaign saw significant naval surface action (1st Battle of the Soloman Sea, 2nd Battle of the Soloman Sea, etc.). To represent this portion of the campaign at T+75 2 Japanese fleets and 2 U.S. Fleets consisting of 2 CA and 8 DDs each will be moved within visual sight of each other (8 inch gun range). The CiC for each side will designate 2 fleet commanders who will be in charge of steer the ships and dead pilots may man any of the guns on the ships (8 inch guns, 5 inch guns, 40 mm, 20mm).

At T+90 the fleets will be allowed to spawn PT boats. Dead pilots may spawn a PT boat. They only get one life in a PT boat .. so the spawning will be at T+90 to say T+92.

The naval surface portion of the event is only meant to give flavor. Results will be announced for the surface action but the air action will be scored seperately.

NOTE: These ships and their battle area will be marked on the map. Any air attacks on these CAs, DDs, or PTs will not count for the air scoring or naval scoring. In sort planes don't attack these ships!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:50:30 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:04:27 AM »
Yep, I have had surface fleet actions twice now in my designs. In a Guadalcanal setup and the Invasion of Greece setup. Both times players really enjoyed them. So I work them where I can. None in Dodacenese simply because the Germans never had a Med. Fleet and the Italian Fleet was interned or went over to the Allies after Italy surrendered.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:05:45 AM »
Appreciate the quiet responces from you both.  I must have missed those scenario's in the past.