Author Topic: Miles Sound System glitch - vox dropouts  (Read 582 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Miles Sound System glitch - vox dropouts
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:20:26 PM »
If anyone is having this problem could you please post whether you are

1) behind a router
2) using the wave in option

Thank you
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
Re: Miles Sound System glitch - vox dropouts
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:36 AM »
If anyone is having this problem could you please post whether you are

1) behind a router
2) using the wave in option

Thank you

Been having this for a while now, somewhat irritating too.  I am not currently behind a router and still have it, however, until fairly recently I was behind a router, and I had it that way as well.  I am not using the wave in option. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Closer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »
 There is allready a thread about this problem. See "VOX"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »
There is allready a thread about this problem. See "VOX"

This is a separate thread with two specific questions. Adding a new reply to the other thread isnt going to see answers if you understand my meaning.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Been having this for a while now, somewhat irritating too.  I am not currently behind a router and still have it, however, until fairly recently I was behind a router, and I had it that way as well.  I am not using the wave in option.  

madda... do you understand how to set up port range forwarding? and was it setup on your router previously?

Also... I have to recommend that anyone seeing this problem should have "Use Wave In" selected at least for the time being.

EDIT: The way we are testing this online ("we" being my squadron) is to have anyone with the issue just talk a blue streak with the wave in option off and then after thirty minutes or so turn it on. "On" seems to be better. I am thinking that more people than realize it are having this issue but that most people only use short transmissions so they dont notice the problem. I think its also possible that using "Port Range Forwarding" for the AcesHigh.exe (router setup) really helps but thats really just a guess. We dont really know what the "wave in" thing does this is just a report on practical experimentation.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:01:40 PM by Chalenge »

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 02:25:26 PM »
madda... do you understand how to set up port range forwarding? and was it setup on your router previously?

Also... I have to recommend that anyone seeing this problem should have "Use Wave In" selected at least for the time being.

EDIT: The way we are testing this online ("we" being my squadron) is to have anyone with the issue just talk a blue streak with the wave in option off and then after thirty minutes or so turn it on. "On" seems to be better. I am thinking that more people than realize it are having this issue but that most people only use short transmissions so they dont notice the problem. I think its also possible that using "Port Range Forwarding" for the AcesHigh.exe (router setup) really helps but thats really just a guess. We dont really know what the "wave in" thing does this is just a report on practical experimentation.

First time I've ever heard of port range forwarding to my knowledge.  It would not likely have been set up on the router when I was behind it.  I set the router up, so unless it came that way as a default it wouldn't have been setup.  I'm not behind the router anymore however, though I'll probably get one before too long. 

Next time I have squaddies on I'll give the wave in test a try.  It's worth a shot anyway. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »
You really should use a router even if you are a single system on the internet with a full time connection.

The first thing you need to do is setup your individual computer with a static IP. You do this so that the router knows precisely which IP to send your packets to. This process changes slightly depending upon your operating system. This page explains more:

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

To setup Port Range Forwarding you go into the router setup routine (log in to the router) and choose the "Applications and gaming" option (your router may be slightly different). Next you will have options for Single Port Forwarding and Port Range Forwarding and Port Range Triggering which is where you select Port Range Forwarding (of course). For the application name you enter "aceshigh.exe" with a starting port of 2000 and an ending port of 6000. You want to make sure you choose both protocols (UDP and TCP) and once enabled anything tickling those ports will be sent to aceshigh.exe and if you have the same success I have your connection will not only drop less often but the connection will improve greatly (bear in mind I have a dozen systems on the home network).

Using the "Wave In" option seems to greatly improve the quality of the audio and lost vox occurs only about 10% of the time compared to not using it. Results of the "Port Range Forwarding" option seems to reduce lost vox to 10% of that but tests are still ongoing ... yadda yadda... dont spend any money yet.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 06:50:47 PM »
With me being the squad member Chalenge is talking about. I know for a while now I have frustrated the hell out of the rest of the guys with the constant Vox dropping out issue.

So was asked if wave option was on? It was not so I activated it & now for me & the rest of the squad I don't seem to drop off as much. Early days still :pray How ever it is a start that may work for the rest of you all. :aok

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:04:20 PM »
That whole sound system is a piece of garbage. Not like the old. Some sound files are WAYYY to loud, to the point of clipping or distorting. (no it cant be fixed by simply turning each one down).Some are so compressed and digi sounding its goofy. The wind you hear coming in stages now instead of a gradual fade in. (cheap sounding to me)

The old system was better. This is coming from someone who makes their living with sound. I could do a better job myself with the sounds.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:06:26 PM by BiPoLaR »
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
 :cheers:
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 01:03:35 AM »
HTC... I fully realize your frustration levels now.  :salute

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 03:14:37 AM »
... For the application name you enter "aceshigh.exe" with a starting port of 2000 and an ending port of 6000....

Recently Skuzzy updated this to ending port of 7000.