Author Topic: WHOO HOO I MADE CAPTAIN!!!!  (Read 2695 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: WHOO HOO I MADE CAPTAIN!!!!
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2010, 11:29:34 AM »
At long last you get to fly left.

I guess Swoop's previous job wasn't flying for NASCAR....
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2010, 01:12:16 PM »
Does that mean we get discounts on flights you are being the captain for??

LOL great job and  :salute
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »
A most hearty congratulations!

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2010, 03:19:43 PM »
WTG swoops  :salute

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
Congrats
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Barrett

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2010, 03:36:51 PM »
Congrats Swoops!   :airplane:
BONDEN1 9GIAP VVS RKKA

_____________________________ ______________
I'm so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here...

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »
Dont ho with the real thing.......  Congrats....  :D

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »
Thank you gentleman for the congrats, I appreciate all the sentiment.

Bagrat:  I started flying at the age of 16 in 1995, washing planes pumping gas, etc,. Was supposed to start at another Regional Airline in September 24th, 2001.  Obviously, there was a "major" downturn in the industry beginning that month all new hire classes where canceled and we were told to re-apply in 6 months.  The regionals didn't really start hiring again until 2003 with minimum time requirements "through the roof" ,3,000 - 4,000 hours,then as the demand for pilots started increasing and the minimums came down to 1500 hours total time I was hired in 2004.  It took me 6 years at American Eagle before I was awarded a captain bid and I'm 31 now, still with 34 years left to go in the Airline Industry.  For anyone interested, there will be a huge sucking sound in the airline industry, barring another major catastrophe.  The demand for Pilots starting well...now is starting to soar amongst the regionals and the major/legacy carriers will follow soon here in the US due to the massive amounts of retirements expected.  According to the FAA, they haven't issued nearly enough new "student" pilot certificates to offset the projected amount of retirements forecast to begin here in the near future.  The military is not training and releasing pilots into the major airlines like they once were and with the implementation of new more strict experience requirements imposed upon 121 air carriers the pool of available pilots is shrinking quite rapidly.  The industry is going to suffer a huge "labor shortage" here in the near future and those that are already qualified will be in great demand.

thx! big  :salute again!
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »

Bagrat:  I started flying at the age of 16 in 1995, washing planes pumping gas, etc,. Was supposed to start at another Regional Airline in September 24th, 2001.  Obviously, there was a "major" downturn in the industry beginning that month all new hire classes where canceled and we were told to re-apply in 6 months.  The regionals didn't really start hiring again until 2003 with minimum time requirements "through the roof" ,3,000 - 4,000 hours,then as the demand for pilots started increasing and the minimums came down to 1500 hours total time I was hired in 2004.  It took me 6 years at American Eagle before I was awarded a captain bid and I'm 31 now, still with 34 years left to go in the Airline Industry.  For anyone interested, there will be a huge sucking sound in the airline industry, barring another major catastrophe.  The demand for Pilots starting well...now is starting to soar amongst the regionals and the major/legacy carriers will follow soon here in the US due to the massive amounts of retirements expected.  According to the FAA, they haven't issued nearly enough new "student" pilot certificates to offset the projected amount of retirements forecast to begin here in the near future.  The military is not training and releasing pilots into the major airlines like they once were and with the implementation of new more strict experience requirements imposed upon 121 air carriers the pool of available pilots is shrinking quite rapidly.  The industry is going to suffer a huge "labor shortage" here in the near future and those that are already qualified will be in great demand.

The minimum hour requirements being put in place in the wake of the Buffalo / Colgan crash are only going to make things worse.

Congrats BTW.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »
Say hello to Nick Simmons.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »
 :salute

Well done sir, your father is hopefully still with us and will tell you how proud he is of you I am sure.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »

Swoops, first I want to say congratulations!  That is flat out awesome news and I am so freakin' jealous of you right now I just want to shake your hand.  (Great Missions too BTW I'll try to talk the LCA into joining more of them).

I had a huge passion for flying as a kid, but I grew up in a family that was less than... encouraging... for anything.  Growing up I was told constantly that I would be the first of our family to ever see the inside of a college, but in my Senior year after waiving my right to a social life in order to work full time and maintain reasonably well grades, all I got from my parents was a 'You're on your own.. we can't help.  If you go away to college I don't know what we'd ever do!'  I guess in a way a sense of 'Thank God for what you have, but don't ever expect anything better' was instilled in me.

I took the easy way out...  I turned my back on college to work full time.. I followed my dad's footsteps in the Auto Repair industry despite his multiple warnings otherwise and here I am about to go back to work after a long stint of unemployment to once again work my butt off for a fraction of what I used to make.. just to have a job.  After watching him get Fired for getting too old to keep up, with no savings or retirement to fall back on I have become extremely weary of any future this industry might offer for me.  Basically, it's just a paycheck to me anymore... and having to get up every morning for the sake of only a paycheck is increasingly disturbing to me.

Even if I HAD the connections or the ability to pursue a career in flying today, at the age of 35 I can't help but to feel that by the time I was able to make a career out of it, it would be time to retire.  With no money, extremely poor credit (ex-wife issues).. and a lack of motivation I just see it never happening.

Looking back I would have done a LOT of things differently.. but that's easy to say but not so easy to do at the time.  When you're a teenager going into unknown territory and scared out of your mind at what the future has to hold, it really does help a LOT to have a family that supports you... who will encourage you to take that first step... who will NOT let you back down... and who will offer you open arms should you ever need it.  Without this, it becomes EXTREMELY EASY to just turn around and run away, and settle for a life of mediocrity like I did.

Let Swoops' story of success motivate you guys!  Especially you kids!  If you're interested in flying professionally, *NOW* is the time to start... and regardless as to where your passion leads you, do NOT give up.. do NOT be afraid and don't EVER settle.  Life's too short.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2010, 03:00:25 PM »
congrats swoops!
now if i fly your airline, can you show me a proper rolling scissors?
 :D :D :D