Author Topic: Tanks MG's Linked?  (Read 760 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Tanks MG's Linked?
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
I'd like to see the MG's of a tank linked in some manner, especially the hull and co-axial MG's as I can understand not linking in the pintle MG due to it not being used generally while the crew is buttoned up.

The 2 MG's (of separate calibers, I may add) on the LVT2 are linked, so why not the tank MG's?  The benefits would be to rake fire over running troops, help take down a building or 2, and maybe with a bit of luck destroy a jeep, M3, M16, or SdKfz 251.

Oh, and at this time I'd like to also wish for (again) many many more variants of the M3 and SdKfz 251.  Adding in an M3/T30 HMC (Howitzer Motor Carriage) with the 75mm or 105mm HE cannon, or the M3 with the 3in (76mm) AT gun would be "easy" and fun.  Also, the SdKfz 251 had a huge number of variants as well.  The 251/9 (75mm Inf gun), 251/2 (81mm mortar), 251/22 (75mm PaK 40 AT gun!).  The base is there, lets branch out!!!   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: Tanks MG's Linked?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:48:49 AM »
+2.. or 3... Hmm..
M3s, SKDs, linking of..

Yeah, +3!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 04:17:21 AM »
the hull guns are rarely used for good reason. There's nothing for it to shoot (aka troops, unless dropped by M3/C47) it would be useless to link them really.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline spitfreak01

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:59 AM »
i shot down an offline drone with it! xD
My favourite Planes: Spitfire MK XIV, BF109, B24, B17
I play also:
Black ops
MW2
IL2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »
the hull guns are rarely used for good reason. There's nothing for it to shoot (aka troops, unless dropped by M3/C47) it would be useless to link them really.
I disagree and +1 linking as I have used both to smoke plane engines.  This would simulate having more than 1 crewman in the tank.   :salute

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »
only prob i have is the traverse rate of the coax vs the traverse of the hull mg.

if you were in the hull mg, the coax shouldnt move the same speed (espeically something like a tiger). so how would it be done, make the hull mg move slower?
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 12:14:10 AM »
I disagree and +1 linking as I have used both to smoke plane engines.  This would simulate having more than 1 crewman in the tank.   :salute
then youre one lucky SOB cuz most flyers try not to go straight down the barrel of a tank in the MAs for good reason. the main gun does better than the MGs. (why didnt you just main gun the tard?)
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 01:52:48 AM »
only prob i have is the traverse rate of the coax vs the traverse of the hull mg.

if you were in the hull mg, the coax shouldnt move the same speed (espeically something like a tiger). so how would it be done, make the hull mg move slower?

It would be the same as the 2 different MG's on the LVT-2.  They only fire linked when they both are within each other arc of fire. 

I'm thinking having them linked would give them some usefulness, first and foremost they'd see more use taking down buildings.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 02:01:09 AM »
then youre one lucky SOB cuz most flyers try not to go straight down the barrel of a tank in the MAs for good reason. the main gun does better than the MGs. (why didnt you just main gun the tard?)

I've only ever done this once in the MA's. Is it a fairly common event?

I wish I had filmed that P-47 losing its tail section to  my panzer.  :rofl
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 02:21:36 AM »
It would be the same as the 2 different MG's on the LVT-2.  They only fire linked when they both are within each other arc of fire. 

There is a big difference. The second MG instantly changes the direction is pointing at once you start shooting the first one and the target is in the second ones general arc of fire. Thats the same way as it works for plane turrets. On a tank, the coax MG doesn't move on it own, it's the turret that moves. Now what if they are linkend the same way as in an LVT and you start to shoot with the hull MG? Will the turret jump around? Or will the coax only shoot when the turret is exactly at the necessary position, which effectively would amount to no link at all?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 08:36:03 AM »
Tank commanders position should be able to fire all guns, at least all guns that bear on the target.

IMO you shouldn't be able to link them from the Hull MG.

Currently however tank commanders position is really incomplete.
As he should have binoculars, etc for spotting and calling targets.

Then if a plane dove in from straight ahead all guns including the tanks main gun could fire on target.
Including hull and pintle guns. But only from the TC's position, in my opinion.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »

its a VERY common event :aok :t I've gotten good enough to knock out planes at the 2k mark at angles and vectors only LTARs can pull off :devil

But its been a long time since i GV'd for the majority so im most likely rusty now :(
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline GreenEagle43

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dickweedhbg.com
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 12:49:59 AM »
Ive shot down lots of plane with my main gun in he rounds. :aok  lots of fun doing that. and I'm sure it pisses them off to. :x
Recruiting Officer GrnEagle  DHBG
Dedicated to Bish Country. 16 YEARS of BOMBER SERVICE

AN Aces High BOMBER SQUADRON. www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »
Ive shot down lots of plane with my main gun in he rounds. :aok  lots of fun doing that. and I'm sure it pisses them off to. :x

The ability of the main tank gun to shoot down aircraft rates right up there with dog-fighting 163's and dive bombing heavy bombers as the biggest travesties in the game. 

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »

Yes. The new M4s are like an American version of the Osti.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com