Author Topic: Win XP - SP1 - any of you have problems installing?  (Read 385 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Win XP - SP1 - any of you have problems installing?
« on: September 21, 2002, 07:14:58 PM »
Hi guys

Finally downloaded SP1 for Win XP Home.  After installation I rebooted though it took longer than usual.  Did a chkdsk /F and defrag and everything seemed nearly as fast as before, though still a little slower.  The problem I am having though is that MS Outlook Express fails to launch.  It's not even showing up on the Task Manager as trying to start.

So, anyone else encountered this, or is anyone aware of this being a common problem?  

Regards
NEXX

Offline Hussein

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 12:48:51 AM »
I wouldn't touch XP sp1 with a mile long stick.

Prepare to be buggered by microsoft sooner or later - XP has features which enable them to stop you from using your computer freely so at least back up your data and have a spare OS available.

The EULA basically grants them the right to not only disable playing mp3's etc. on your computer but to actually delete without your consent. Nice eh? :)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 08:23:55 AM »
Originally posted by Hussein

Prepare to be buggered by microsoft sooner or later - XP has features which enable them to stop you from using your computer freely so at least back up your data and have a spare OS available.

The EULA basically grants them the right to not only disable playing mp3's etc. on your computer but to actually delete without your consent. Nice eh? :)

Huh?  I do believe thats a legal matter still being hashed out in congress.  Whats it doing on the EULA?  Please post txt (I'm too lazy to look it up)
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 09:23:16 AM »
Originally posted by Hussein

roadkill.  The only thing XP SP1 does is invalidate some heavily pirated CD keys.  As long as you have a legal copy, you have nothing to worry about.    Go spout your anit-MS propaganda elsewhere "Hussein", or at the very least post some facts... like the lines from the EULA that supposedly do all this evil stuff.

Replicant,

I've put XP Sp1 on 3 different machines now and it has worked fine on all of them.  I have not experienced problems with XP SP1.  I recommend you try re-installing IE 6 and Outlook Express comes with it.  You could try XP SP1 again as well, in case something got corrupted somehow.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 10:34:01 AM »
I tried to install SP1 and it simply would not install. Then I lost system files.....ended up refomatting back to Win 98 because I didn't feel like calling Microsoft to get their 40 digit Enigma machine code to reactivate my XP.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2002, 11:53:54 AM »
Same thing happened last weekend and this weekend Raub. I tried some new hardware on a brand new installation of WinXP and then tried installing the SP on it and went into a constant reboot cycle like I did last weekend. I know it was the software because it was a brand new motherboard/CPU/RAM setup that I borrowed just to do the test.

So with that failure of the test since I had a stable running setup onder WinXP before trying twice to install SP1 that is what I will be staying with. At least until someone gets AH and a few other games running on Linux. Then I go to Linux for everything.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2002, 04:14:21 PM »
Originally posted by Lephturn

Replicant,

I've put XP Sp1 on 3 different machines now and it has worked fine on all of them.  I have not experienced problems with XP SP1.  I recommend you try re-installing IE 6 and Outlook Express comes with it.  You could try XP SP1 again as well, in case something got corrupted somehow.

Well I managed to check out some MS BBS forums and it appears that hundreds of people are having different problems with XP SP1.  I guess you've been lucky Lephturn, though many haven't.  Kinda strange that I've got problems and yet this PC is only a few weeks old!  So... I've download Eudora and will be using that for now instead of Outlook Express. :)
NEXX

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 08:02:18 PM »
Unfortunately Lephturn, Hussein is not totally off base with that statement.  SP1 currently won't do that, but installing it does add the following into the EULA, which does give Microsoft the right to do that should they wish to do so.  Windows Media Player 9 adds a copy protection capablilty as well.  You can currently turn it off in the beta as of right now though...

Additions to EULA with SP1:

Security Updates. Content providers are using the digital rights management technology ("Microsoft DRM") contained in this Product to protect the integrity of their content ("Secure Content") so that their intellectual property, including copyright, in such content is not misappropriated. Owners of such Secure Content ("Secure Content Owners") may, from time to time, request Microsoft to provide securty related updates to the Microsoft DRM components of the Product ("Security Updates") that may affect your ability to copy, display and/or play Secure Content through Microsoft software of third party applications that utilize Microsoft DRM. You therefore agree that, if you elect to download a license from the Internet which enables your use of Secure Content, Microsoft may, in conjunction with such license, also download onto your computer such Security Updates that a Secure Content Owner has requested that Microsoft distribute. Microsoft will not retrieve any personally identifiable information, or any other information, from your computer by downloading such Security Updates.

They also add this to the EULA:

Internet-Based Services Components. The Product contains components that enable and facilitate the use of certain Internet-based services. You acknowledge and agree that Microsoft may automatically check the version of the Product and/or its components that you are utilizing and may provide upgrades or fixes to the Product that will be automatically downloaded to your Workstation Computer.

This is in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 as well.  In Windows 2000 you can manually kill the Automatic Update service, curiously the disable option under the control panel does not stop the service from running.

Microsoft hasn't done anything yet, but they now have the legal right and capability to do so.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2002, 08:07:14 PM by bloom25 »

Offline TheBudz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2002, 01:27:29 AM »
I tried installing it but it would try to load windows and then say something like "Windows has detected an error and has stopped loading to prevent damage to your computer."

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2002, 10:23:12 AM »
No problems here using SP1 for XP Pro.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2002, 01:14:19 PM »
Originally posted by banana
No problems here using SP1 for XP Pro.

Ditto, but then again, I loaded it onto a brand new build of XP Pro.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2002, 03:46:01 PM »
Running SP1 with no problems on one box with Home and another with Pro.  I don't plan to install Media player 9.
DJ229
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2002, 04:57:29 PM »
Okay, managed to reinstall Outlook Express so everything is working now.  However, if anyone uses different identities then there seems to be a regular problem with that, especially in Outlook Express.  Other people have had other probs with other MS products associated with the SP1.  Therefore I'd recommend everyone just to check their main applications and swapping identities (if applicable).

For those that have had problems I found the following newsgroup very useful (also includes a lotta SP1 probs). http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
NEXX

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2002, 07:00:27 PM »
If you don't do SP1 for XP, them make SURE you get this fix!

http://grc.com/xpdite/xpdite.htm

Serious security hole there.