Author Topic: the best spit  (Read 6780 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: the best spit
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 07:49:15 AM »
in game... that would be spit 8

its got power of spit 16, extended range of spit14, and the turnability of spit 9

Well I would say almost the power of a 16, almost the turnability of a 9, and a bit more range than the 14.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 07:49:31 AM »
It has as much fuel as the spit8 but it burns it fast so you have to use cruse setting very often and cruse at the right altitudes. I don't remember a single time when I could not get somewhere and stay in a fight for a long time because of the fuel.

Full internal, the 8 has 149 gal, the 14 has 133 gal.

And using cruise settings will still give you no "extended" range over the 9, if you chose to fly the latter one the same way. You can take the 9 to altitude and bring back RPM & throttle too.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 07:51:28 AM »

Full internal, the 8 has 149 gal, the 14 has 133 gal.

And using cruise settings will still give you no "extended" range over the 9, if you chose to fly the latter one the same way.

When I said that I meant 100% + drop, and yes your right the bottom fuel tank is smalled on the 14. If you cruse at the right altitude you will get pretty far, 9 might be able to do it but it would take really long.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:53:25 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »
When I said that I mean 100% + drop, and yes your right the bottom fuel tank is smalled on the 14. If you cruse at the right altitude you will get pretty far, 9 might be able to do it but it would take really long.

At Max cruise, the 14 is only about 9% faster than the 9, but has less flight time. Not only is the flown distance the same in both planes, but that 9% speed difference is hardly noticeable: The distance you cover in 5 minutes in a Spit 14 takes you only about 30 seconds longer in a Spit 9. Hardly what I would call "really long" ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:59:25 AM by Lusche »

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 07:59:07 AM »
At Max cruise, the 14 is only about 7% faster than the 9, but has less flight time. Not only is the flown distance the same in both planes, but that 7% speed difference is hardly noticeable: The distance you cover in 5 minutes in a Spit 14 takes you only about 20-30 seconds longer in a Spit 9. Hardly what I would call "really long" ;)

You really calculated to cruise speed to 7%? How exactly did you get that number? I mean I don't even know the exact cruse speed. (just curious)

30 seconds can make a big different and note that I never said "really long range". I just said that it's perfectly enough for me.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 08:02:03 AM »
You really calculated to cruise speed to 7%? How exactly did you get that number? (just curious)

I have actually tested all that stuff.  Just like, for example, I could tell you all climb times to various altitudes from 5-30k for all different fuel & bomb loadout configurations in a B-17  ;)

note that I never said "really long range". I just said that it's perfectly enough for me.

Note that I was never saying "you can't fly a long distance / long time in a XIV. If you read my initial statements, You will see that I'm just opposing the notion that the 14 has "extended range" compared to the other Spits, because that is what has been stated.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:04:06 AM by Lusche »

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 08:05:59 AM »

I have actually tested all that stuff.

wow.....well on 2nd thoughts hearing this from a guy who always make thous cool charts I should not be surprised.

Would you mind giving me a copy of a numbers you collected (for the speeds that is)? I would really appreciated it.

Just like, for example, I could tell you all climb times to various altitudes from 5-30k for all different fuel & bomb loadout configurations in a B-17  ;)

I assume you have thous memorized to the decimals of a seconds  :D

Note that I was never saying "you can't fly a long distance / long time in a XIV. If you read my initial statemnts, You will see that I'm just opposing the notion that the 14 has "extended range" compared to the other Spits, because that is what has been stated.  ;)

Right  :)  :noid  :bolt:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:16:01 AM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »
Hey snail didn't you post these in a chart one time?  Someone did and I have a copy of it somewhere packed in all my stuff, I'll look for it and if I can find the right box I will repost it.

SALUTE
ab8aac/dmdchief/aac
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 08:24:50 AM »
Under "Max Cruise" settings, the Spit 9 and Spit 14 have almost the exact same range at full internal . The higher cruise speed of the 14 is completely neutralized by the higher fuel consumption.

true, but AH's max cruise settings are very different from the book's recommended method for cruise. eg. climb full power to 15k, book cruise at 320ish - the IX wont get close to the 50mins the XIV gets.

edit: by the book method I mean adjust the rpms at full throttle to get the desired boost.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:30:01 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 08:26:54 AM »
While I am not really a Spit pilot. I do like the Spit 9 best. I have had problems in the Spit 14. I have had some strange stalls in it and would need a lot of time in it to get use to the thing. The Spit 1 is by far the funnest to fly and I have got kills in it. The Spitfire may be one of the prettiest fighter of the war.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 08:29:40 AM »
wow.....well on 2nd thoughts hearing this from a guy who always make thous cool charts I should not be surprised.

Would you mind giving me a copy of a numbers you collected (for the speeds that is)? I would really appreciated it.

No, I will not do that.

Because if I did, you would notice that I didn't read my own chart closely enough. You would notice that it's not 7% but 70 (mph) speed difference (@20k). You would notice that my claim in this threat and my own records do not match. You would notice that thus the XIV has indeed -at altitude- a significant range advantage.

You would notice I made a complete donkey out of myself in this thread.

This I can not allow  :noid

(And there went my credibility.... *sigh* back to reading school for me  :o)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:33:31 AM by Lusche »

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 08:31:43 AM »
Hmm nobody said Seafire.  Not that I am, since I don't really fly Spits....

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 08:39:55 AM »
Because if I did, you would notice that I didn't read my own chart closely enough. You would notice that it's not 7% but 70 (mph) speed difference (@20k). You would notice that my claim in this threat and my own records do not match. You would notice that thus the XIV has indeed -at altitude- a significant range advantage.

You would notice I made a complete donkey out of myself in this thread.

Precisely! I knew something was wrong.  :old:

It's all good, we all make mistakes, well most of us anyways.  :noid
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »
Hmm nobody said Seafire.  Not that I am, since I don't really fly Spits....

a seafire is simply a spitfire with a tailhook
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »
a seafire is simply a spitfire with a tailhook

I would classify it as a Spit5 with a tailhook and a lot of extra weight.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn