Author Topic: G2 vs. G14  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
G2 vs. G14
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »
ok, so i am not a big 30mm fan, I belive the 20mm is a great tool for killing - i was wondering what the difference beteen the g2 and the G14 are (to me the best peforming 20mm 109 platforms) - the strengths and weakness' of each of the planes are.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: G2 vs. G14
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:51:35 PM »
The G-14 is heavier, but has a far more powerful engine. It will thus flat turn somewhat worse than the G-2 (about 5% larger turning radius), but is about 20mph faster at usual AH altitudes (over 20k the G-2 is actually slightly faster). The biggest difference is probably in climb rate, up to about 16k the G-14 adds some 500ft/min to the G-2 already top-notch rate of climb.
This additional power comes at a price, the torque effects are much bigger and more pronounced than in the G-2. Spoken in common terms, you give up some nimbleness and flat turn performance for some additional nose-up performance and a better ability to catch runners.
And of course, there is an increase in firepower by substituting the 7.9mm machineguns with 13mm ones.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
What Lusche said. The difference in speed isnt that much, the g-2 owns the g-14 without wep (311 vs 321mph on the deck). With wep on the g-2 can reach 344mph on the deck vs the g14s 355mph. The difference in the wep speed is decreasing with altitude, at about 18k they are equal, above that the g-2 is faster, 408 mph at 20k vs the g14s 400mph at same alt. Turn rates: in the g-2 it takes 18.3 seconds to do a sustained circle (full ammo, no gondolas, wep on and 20 mins of fuel, on the deck), in the g-14 it takes 19.1. In the other hand, the g-14 can outclimb everything in this game between 3-6K, still can cause some damage when you get outta cannon rounds, and has the way better Erla Haube canopy.

But g-6 über alles  :D
AoM
City of ice

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:52:09 PM »
i was looking at th g2 as a faster accelorator down low since its light and has a nice little engine.  But how does acceleration match up.

I have been in Yaks and LA7s for awhile now, and I really want to master the 109, but picking one has been a real challange - the K4 is my favorate for haneling and just the pure power of it, but hte 30mm is just no fun - its not taiming, i am can get good at the aiming - its th 65 ound staying power and the one hit and its over 'this is no fun' aspect that gets me. 

Plus the 20mm is a might fin wepon. . .shots ar clear and constant out very far, and concetration with the 2 MGs makes for a very fine package - respect to the germans for such a fine plane really.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »
i was looking at th g2 as a faster accelorator down low since its light and has a nice little engine.  But how does acceleration match up.

G-14 accelerates slightly faster. See details here: http://www.gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php?p1=109g2&p2=109g14

If your coming from the Yak, I'd suggest the G-2. Personally, I feel it's a bit closer in handling, but this is a very subjective view by someone rarely flying the Yaks ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:06:35 PM by Lusche »

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:27:54 PM »
All of you forgot the most important part of the g14. It has a 30mm. This sounds minor, but it changes the way you think about fights. When using the 30mm, its all about planning ahead to create crossing shots where you can get your nose out enough to have enough lead for the shot. It also changes the way you fight, because your not interested in getting the 6 shot but rather a full crossing shot.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »
All of you forgot the most important part of the g14. It has a 30mm. This sounds minor, but it changes the way you think about fights.

I was deliberately skipping that part because of the OP's intitial posting. ;)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:09:54 AM »
I was deliberately skipping that part because of the OP's intitial posting. ;)
ahh duh... stupid me for not seeing that...lol
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
The G-2 is more capable in ACM's for the most part, but the G-14 is tough to beat in acceleration and climb.  With WEP on, it is very close to the K-4 on speed/climb performance. 

In a dogfight, I prefer the G-2 or the F-4.  If I am chasing bombers or BnZ'n, the G-14.

Oh yeah... if you think u need the gun pods, the G-14 can handle the extra weight much better.  Keep in mind that all advantage you in in the G-2 ACM's is now gone.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 05:54:25 AM »
Any hit from a .50 in the rear of fuselage of a g2 renderer a pilot wound ,wheras the g14 is not inpressed by same treatment.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »
The G2 is by far a lot closer in feel to the Yak 9 then the G14, and is a little slower on the acceleration and climbrate.  But its a lot more stable, especially in the vertical - which is the only place it seems to want to be.  

Th Yak is a much more stable airplane near the stall I find, but the 200 rounds of that fantastic 20mm round is very nice. . . You can really seet up accurate shots with it.  If it were my plane, I would get the galland canopy installed asap.

my problem with the 109 is its stalls - in a tight turn, espcially to th left - it has a nasty habit of pulling me right to th ground. . . do I need to be more gentle with it? (maby I just nd to spend a lot more time in it and get used to its littl tricks - its a very tempermental airplane)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:55:20 PM by Ruah »

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 12:59:22 AM »
Usually the 109 needs a pretty gentle hand, especially when doing maneuvers that requires fine throttle management. But when flaps are out and you arent in extreme low speeds (above 70mph) it can stall pretty nicely and still remain controllable, even after making some mistakes. Spend some time in them and the sense will come.

Debrődy
AoM
City of ice

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »
my problem with the 109 is its stalls - in a tight turn, espcially to th left - it has a nasty habit of pulling me right to th ground. . . do I need to be more gentle with it? (maby I just nd to spend a lot more time in it and get used to its littl tricks - its a very tempermental airplane)

With only slight exaggeration, proper management of the throttle is almost more important than management of the control surfaces.

As you progress, the issues presented by a high-torque engine in a light-weight airframe will become less a problem and more an azzet.

(EDIT:  Seriously?  "Azzet" flags the language filter?)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:26:58 AM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 01:47:38 PM »
thats why i am working with teh 109 mainly - I really feel that I have the yak down - its a very calm very stable platform and a great plane to learn in.  But I have seen magical things from 109s, using that massive torque to twist the plane and line up shots that would otherwise be impossible.  I feel like the 109 is a plane I can spend the next few years working on and constantly getting better at - and that makes it attractive. 

i still think the tater is a buz killer though - I mean, I can se how some magnificant 30mm shots can cause great joy in the pilot - but I prefer the 20mm more for its staying power and its lazer like percision. the G2 seems like the perfect balance between a light agile plane and great engine performance and can hold its own in any MA situation (and it has grat skins to boot) even if its misisng the gallan canopy which really helps with views.  Forward, up and side views are decent, but th back view is a pain. . .

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 03:05:15 PM »
i still think the tater is a buz killer though

That will change as well.