Author Topic: Reducing lag  (Read 911 times)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Reducing lag
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:39:47 PM »
The game uses both TCP and UDP.  However, those settings will not directly impact Aces High, but could have an adverse impact on other things, which then could have unintended negative side effects in Aces High.

Will remove them then.  Thank you. :)

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
Well in my case:

• Disabling AERO (not bad advice) Did that.
  • Installing a program called CCLEANER to remove bad registry entries and to remove Temporary and unneeded files (potentially harmful)  Did that. removed a lot of files and registery entries.   Program was highly rated on cnet with many downloads
  • Running the Windows Disk Cleanup Utility (not bad advice)  Did that.
  • Setting the power settings to High Performance and disabling Hibernation (not necessarily bad advice)  Did that
  • Raising your refresh rate for your display settings to it's highest option but he "doesn't really know what it does" (potentially dangerous advice)  60 is my only option so no change here.
  • From the ATI or NVidia control panel setting the global video setting to Most Performance (which may help with performance) Did not do this.
  • From the ATI or NVidia control panel setting each individual 3D setting to Most Performance (potentially dangerous advice especially if you don't know what each setting does) Did not do this
  • Running REGEDIT (which he pronounces REGuh Edit with a hard G sound) and adding a couple TCP/IP Paramaters - "TCPAckFrequency=1" and "TCPNoDelay=1" (DANGEROUS ADVICE)  Did this... although don't understand it.   Researched it on internet some but the technical talk is above my head.  Can undo it if I see problems.  :uhoh

He also said to defrag (did that) and to set computer properties / advanced settings to maximize performance.  (Did that.)

Anything else I can do to reduce lag? :headscratch:

My point in all of that was not to tell you what to do to reduce lag.. rather to point out that you shouldn't blindly follow advice from people without taking the time to research their methods to verify if it really does anything or not to help your problem... ESPECIALLY when it's a video from some kid who obviously has no idea what he's talking about.  I've never heard the words "um", "I think", "maybe", and "I don't know" so many times in an instructional video in my life!

Based on your pingplotter results you have serious dropped pockets all over the board.  There aren't any magical registry settings you can change or software you can add to fix this.

As far as CCleaner goes I'm well aware of the software and I wasn't saying that the software itself is potentially harmful - but any time you change the registry (which is what that software does) it becomes potentially harmful and it's extremely important that you know what the software does and what changes it makes before you just blindly install and run it.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
My point in all of that was not to tell you what to do to reduce lag.. rather to point out that you shouldn't blindly follow advice from people without taking the time to research their methods to verify if it really does anything or not to help your problem... ESPECIALLY when it's a video from some kid who obviously has no idea what he's talking about.  I've never heard the words "um", "I think", "maybe", and "I don't know" so many times in an instructional video in my life!

Based on your pingplotter results you have serious dropped pockets all over the board.  There aren't any magical registry settings you can change or software you can add to fix this.

As far as CCleaner goes I'm well aware of the software and I wasn't saying that the software itself is potentially harmful - but any time you change the registry (which is what that software does) it becomes potentially harmful and it's extremely important that you know what the software does and what changes it makes before you just blindly install and run it.

Ah, let him be...

No better teacher than experience  :t
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
Ah, let him be...

No better teacher than experience  :t

:aok :)

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)