Author Topic: Good Powered USB hub  (Read 684 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Good Powered USB hub
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:58:11 AM »
Like the title says, any suggestions on a good powered USB hub?

Also, looking for a good wireless router for my house. Id like to keep my computer "hardwired" into my DSL, but the kids computers in their rooms will need internet access, and i reeeeeeeeaaaaallllly dont want to have to run cords to their systems. Any suggestions?

Hooking up the wireless system in my house is my project next week while im off (ohhh the joys of owning a home  LOL )

How hard is it to hook up the wireless system? Figure ill need a system to cover about 3000sqft of house.(Disclaimer....im not real computer savy, so feel free to explain it to me like im a moron  :D)

$ on both im not to concerned about, I would rather buy something that is quality 1 time, than something cheap that ill have to replace over and over, or that isnt really good.

Thanks gents

<S> all
Mbailey
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:01:09 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Good Powered USB hub
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:15:13 AM »
I got a couple of powered hubs from BestBuy; one is the store brand Dynex and the other is a Belkin. Both do the same job and I really haven't noticed a difference in either one since I hook up the same items to both.

As for the wireless router....I have the box that AT&T installed when Uverse was put in and don't need any other wireless router. I have 2 computers and my sons Xbox360 wired into it directly.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »
Belkin Hub to Go is what I've used for 5 years.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »
I use a belking, I also put a piece of tape on top then labeled what each connection is for.  if any of them stop work, easier to unplug/plug.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »
I've never put a lot of thought into quality of a USB hub.  The powered hub I use now I got online somewhere for like $9 and I've been using it four years now.  I recently purchased three powered hubs from woot.com to give away as gifts.. It was $14 with shipping for all three.  One got donated to a needy squaddie who we all chipped in to upgrade his system and has been working just fine for him.

As for wireless, it is very easy to set up, but remember, if any of your kids play real-time games they may be prone to the same kind of connection issues that we do using wireless.  If all they use their computers for is web browsing (and browser based games) then wireless should be just fine for them.  I'm concerned about the 3000 sqft though.  You may need a router and an access point.

My last wireless router was a D-Link DIR615 and worked great, but my wireless coverage never extended beyond.. 100 feet or so.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »
Go to Newegg.com, go to USB hubs, filter out all but powered usb hubs, sort by price low to high, read user comments, pick the one with the least bad.

Shouldn't cost you more than $15, less than $10 is more likely.  There isn't a lot to these, no need to obsess over the quality.

Edit: Here's where you can see them:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008382%20600000004&IsNodeId=1&srchInDesc=power%20adapter&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

Newegg doesn't have a good filter for powered vs unpowered, so make sure the image shows a power plug.  Here's some that I would pick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182056

Higher price but free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182175

More expensive with a better known brand, note that I doubt its actually any better:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817394025
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:53:39 PM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
For 3000 sq ft, unless your house is only 5' wide, most wireless routers will work fine to provide complete coverage.  If at all possible, try to center it between the computers, which might not be the center of the house.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:22:24 AM »
Messing up a $15 usb hub is LOTS cheaper than ruining your PC's usb port with a smartphone and all its current draw :cry (apparently same goes for portable satellite receivers)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 10:26:35 AM »
Thanks all for the answers, appreciate it.  :aok Its given me a ton of "food for thought" on the usb hubs and router.

From what i understand gettin an "N" router is the way to go correct?

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »
Thanks all for the answers, appreciate it.  :aok Its given me a ton of "food for thought" on the usb hubs and router.

From what i understand gettin an "N" router is the way to go correct?

Keep in mind that even the slowest of the "BIG THREE" wireless standards (B/G/N) is still faster than most internet connections.  You'll be hard-pressed to find anything "B" anymore, and since "G" has been around since.. what 2003?.. you're going to find that the VAST MAJORITY of wireless options available today will be "N".  Also "N" has the option for multiple signals which might provide a more steady and more lossless connection, however if you happen to stumble upon a wireless "G" router dirt cheap I wouldn't automatically discount it as an option.

As for the computers themselves, I ALWAYS recommend an internal wireless card (PCI or PCI-e) as opposed to a USB solution as you'll find it to be a lot more stable.. this is assuming the kids' computers don't have it built in.