Author Topic: I need help with accuracy with a gunsight  (Read 1088 times)

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
I need help with accuracy with a gunsight
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
ok I need help finding te appropriate ranges for the gunsight here:
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: I need help with accuracy with a gunsight
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 01:14:51 AM »
It's just a hard question to answer because there are so many undefined variables.

It depends on what rounds you are shooting first of all and then how many G's you are pulling.

If your new I'd have to just say..try not to take too long of shots. Get within 300 before you start shooting.

if your taking a long shot (600) and level try in between the 2nd and third line down.

When I flew I'd make second by second calculations depending on what I've already said.

You've got a horrible frame rate BTW. try using advanced system care free http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html

Once downloaded run the program then go to utilities and turn on the smart ram which will clean your memory and then turn on and run the Game booster.

Once you enter the game you should go from your currant frame rate of 7 to about 30 or more
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:21:36 AM by A8TOOL »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 07:18:09 AM »
To answer your question you'd have to know your convergence setting and which gun or cannon you're using. The best thing to do is use the .target command offline or in the training arena. Set the target at different ranges and see where your rounds hit.

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »
I use the 37mm on the -39(1 of my favorite birds in AH),
It's just a hard question to answer because there are so many undefined variables.

It depends on what rounds you are shooting first of all and then how many G's you are pulling.

If your new I'd have to just say..try not to take too long of shots. Get within 300 before you start shooting.

if your taking a long shot (600) and level try in between the 2nd and third line down.

When I flew I'd make second by second calculations depending on what I've already said.

You've got a horrible frame rate BTW. try using advanced system care free http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html

Once downloaded run the program then go to utilities and turn on the smart ram which will clean your memory and then turn on and run the Game booster.

Once you enter the game you should go from your currant frame rate of 7 to about 30 or more
oh that poor frame rate  is just during taxie and take off, ounce I'm in the air it skyrockets to about 17-20, my crappy dell is like that :P
To answer your question you'd have to know your convergence setting and which gun or cannon you're using. The best thing to do is use the .target command offline or in the training arena. Set the target at different ranges and see where your rounds hit.
thanks, to both of ya for the tips!
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 07:28:06 PM »
The most important thing is that once you set your convergence, 95% of the time that's where you should open fire. With some exceptions your rounds will be clustered right around your boresight (there's a couple aircraft that I believe are slightly off-center, IE the Zeros). At that point it's not a matter of how much to adjust for bullet drop at a given range, but how much lead to give the target when deflection shooting at your established firing range (for which there's TONS of math to calculate, but is much easier to get from dead reckoning of the sight picture after enough practice).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »
Those stadia marks are at 5mil separations. The original purpose with the N3-B/C gunsights was for semi level bombing and dive bombing. Not for aiming your guns. You learned to open fire at a specific range or there abouts and the dot in the center was your bore sighting reference.

The stadia lines corrisponded to formulas of altitiude, speed, angle of attack and bomb type as your release mark. The first two down will just happen to act as bullet drop compensators for certain ranges or angle of attacks. The picture shows you in a P39 to which that ring is about 70mil to 50mil in diameter. The rings are supposed to aid in small part to deflection shooting but, more so for estimating your cons distance by its wingspan relationship to the ring. That ring is an A6m at about 300 yards, or a Betty at about 1000 yards.

When dive bombing at 45 degrees place the bottom of the ring on your target to begin with. Using your 37mm nose cannon to de-ack the first tick down is aprox 1000 yards. Your best bet is to practice offline and determine how to use the graticule. Most pilots in WW2 had to spend months practicing to learn how to dive bomb and shoot even with indepth classes on the HowTo theory of using the graticule.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »
Those stadia marks are at 5mil separations. The original purpose with the N3-B/C gunsights was for semi level bombing and dive bombing. Not for aiming your guns. You learned to open fire at a specific range or there abouts and the dot in the center was your bore sighting reference.

The stadia lines corrisponded to formulas of altitiude, speed, angle of attack and bomb type as your release mark. The first two down will just happen to act as bullet drop compensators for certain ranges or angle of attacks. The picture shows you in a P39 to which that ring is about 70mil to 50mil in diameter. The rings are supposed to aid in small part to deflection shooting but, more so for estimating your cons distance by its wingspan relationship to the ring. That ring is an A6m at about 300 yards, or a Betty at about 1000 yards.

When dive bombing at 45 degrees place the bottom of the ring on your target to begin with. Using your 37mm nose cannon to de-ack the first tick down is aprox 1000 yards. Your best bet is to practice offline and determine how to use the graticule. Most pilots in WW2 had to spend months practicing to learn how to dive bomb and shoot even with indepth classes on the HowTo theory of using the graticule.
thanks, I've already started to get the hang of it,  by shooting and bombing the tanks and halftracks I set as my Offline Drones
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 12:09:41 PM »
WOW , someone with the same FR as me , lol .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 04:51:43 PM »
WOW , someone with the same FR as me , lol .
it's only cause of the following:

a) I'm on the ground

b) all that dang ack!
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:54:48 AM »
Try www.wwiiol-pilots-manual.com. It has a lot of good sighting and gunnery information if the site is still up.