Author Topic: Climb Rates  (Read 977 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Climb Rates
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »
I know I'm being a bit lazy here because I could probably find this out by going over the charts, but hopefully someone can save me the homework and tell me what the top climbers are in this game from sea level to 12k?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Climb Rates
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 02:02:42 PM »
I know I'm being a bit lazy here because I could probably find this out by going over the charts, but hopefully someone can save me the homework and tell me what the top climbers are in this game from sea level to 12k?
K4, spit14, 163, and ki84
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:05:29 PM »
much obliged. :)

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 02:21:43 PM »
I think the La5 and 7 will get there before the Ki84 will.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 02:23:32 PM »
I think the La5 and 7 will get there before the Ki84 will.
It will be close ki84 can climb like hell, but a bad wep
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 02:39:16 PM »
The LA5 and 7 out climb the KI at all alts. CHECK IT OUT

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »
Not quite....

You showed a La-5FN vs 109K4 climb chart on milpower....

La-7 vs Ki-84:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/scores/planeperf.php?gtype=2&pw=1&p1=42&p2=78&submitButtonName=Generate+Chart
Almost even. Trading alts here and there.

And since the La-5FN climb chart is nearly identical to the La-7, there's really no need..

But...

La-5FN vs Ki-84:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/scores/planeperf.php?gtype=2&pw=1&p1=5&p2=78&submitButtonName=Generate+Chart

Also the same, almost even.

EDIT: That might be with full internal fuel, also. Ki-84 holds closer to an hour's flight time with internal gas. Not much chance you'll be fighting La-7s with that much fuel on board.

At least, not for long you won't.

The Ki-84 climb rate will be noticably higher if it's got the more standard load of 50% gas. The 3-min WEP burns out fast but also recharges like crazy, and can be triggered again and again in the time the LA-7 is still cooling down.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:09:41 PM by Krusty »

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 03:34:08 PM »
I'm embarrassed to admit but the 190D outclimbs the LA-7. Let me explain.

The other day I popped a N1K1 and a B-25 and found myself being chased by an LA-7. I am learning the Dora for Battle Over Germany so I thought this would be the best way to see who wins a race to altitude. I know I ticked off the LA-7 pilot off, and he thinks I'm a total Nancy but nothing like seeing what happens in combat situations.

The 190D outclimbs the LA-7 with WEB, with a beginning altitude of around 5k.

The 'race' started at around 5k with a 1.5k range advantage for me. I also had slight speed advantage to begin. The LA closed the distance to where it showed 1000m though the Dora stablized the rate of closure then slowly began to pull away. I did a speed climb of 305kts and pulled away. The LA would level off, close slightly but find I was now 1k higher. The LA would then climb to matching altitude, close to 1k though I continued my slow climb. At 15k I found myself with 2k of seperation and the LA turned off.

My flight was very smooth and replicatiable. The LA was not on auto the entire time and bounced around a bit. Possibly a different pilot would have caught me.

In my defense, once he left I engage 5 Spits and downed two of them. Turns out they were AFK. haha The other three were kind enough to let me know I shouldn't get a big head on this one. One of the kills was Solar <S>. Happy about that one, even if he was getting a beer. Navy Fighter Pilot motto "I'd rather be lucky then good anytime!"

What a day. Landed with smiles and kill ratio up, not to mention more confidence in the Dora.

I'm looking forward to Battle Over Germany, too bad no LA's over there. Don't worry, I understand the Dora outclimbs any of the Americaners so no more Nancy rides.

Boo
Loose Deuce
Gruppe III/ JG 54
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 08:02:48 PM »
Not quite....

You showed a La-5FN vs 109K4 climb chart on milpower....

La-7 vs Ki-84:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/scores/planeperf.php?gtype=2&pw=1&p1=42&p2=78&submitButtonName=Generate+Chart
Almost even. Trading alts here and there.

And since the La-5FN climb chart is nearly identical to the La-7, there's really no need..

But...

La-5FN vs Ki-84:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/scores/planeperf.php?gtype=2&pw=1&p1=5&p2=78&submitButtonName=Generate+Chart

Also the same, almost even.

EDIT: That might be with full internal fuel, also. Ki-84 holds closer to an hour's flight time with internal gas. Not much chance you'll be fighting La-7s with that much fuel on board.

At least, not for long you won't.

The Ki-84 climb rate will be noticably higher if it's got the more standard load of 50% gas. The 3-min WEP burns out fast but also recharges like crazy, and can be triggered again and again in the time the LA-7 is still cooling down.

I'm sorry, I only posted a "link" because someone posted they were too lazy to check. Also if you check the planes WITHOUT WEP, you'll see that what I said was true.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
Actually, the laziness came from not really knowing which planes to look at other than the K4 and the Ki.  Didn't mean to start an intense discussion.   :D

It's funny but I really don't see a lot of people employing the La7's climbing ability.  Mostly they just whiz around at 5k or lower.  Does the La lose performance above 10k?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 11:56:51 PM »
Just remember that you have to fight once you get to that alt.   ;)

If you are intercepting bombers, taking a Ki-84 "Frank" is not suggested due to it being fragile.  A 190D-9, or a 109G-14 or 109K-4 have plenty of firepower and can take a hit too.  Not to mention they climb like banshees.  The La7 is good for climb out and speed, but at the higher altitudes the small wing are not much good.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Spork

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »
Actually, the laziness came from not really knowing which planes to look at other than the K4 and the Ki.  Didn't mean to start an intense discussion.   :D

It's funny but I really don't see a lot of people employing the La7's climbing ability.  Mostly they just whiz around at 5k or lower.  Does the La lose performance above 10k?

The LA-7's performace as a very sharp decline at/above 8k. A 51D is faster by about 30 mph @ 12k.

Spork
Spork
80th FS "Headhunters"

"The all purpose utensil in the all purpose plane" - Karma

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
 True the P-51D is faster at altitude. I get PMs all the time from LA-7 pilots telling me no way is a pony faster than my LA-7, sorry folks but it is. The 109K-4 has maybe the fastest clime rate of any piston engine bird in the game and does well at high altitude.