Author Topic: stall limiter help  (Read 1015 times)

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: stall limiter help
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »
ive been practiceing offline in my P38 already i can see an improvement in my hammer head and flat spin and such.

RedTail

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »

Since you're at it...

Go out and stall.  Really stall it badly, over and over and over.  And learn to recover, quicker and quicker and quicker.

Start out pretty high, where it'll stall easier anyway, and where you have plenty of time before you hit the ground.  Try recovering with the engine at full throttle, and with it pulled back (don't shut it off, just pull it back). 

Eventually, you'll be so good at recovering, you'll hardly notice a stall or two in a fight.  ALso, since you're purposely stalling, you'll develop a "muscle-memory" of sorts, which will alert you to when you're flirting with a stall in a fight.  You can then actually make small adjustments to avoid the stall before it ever occurs...

Ideally, you want to be able to recover from a wicked stall/spin without even needing to think about it.  If I stall/spin in a fight, my mind is on my opponent and my overall SA; recovering from the stall/spin is so automatic I can do it without thinking about it.

An analogy I like is that of walking on smooth, slippery ice.  At first, it's difficult to just stand up and walk without falling.  Eventually though, you can get to be a lot more active, and even have fun.  Past that, fun activities are possible, where fall-avoidance is hardly on your mind at all.  The situation hasn't changed, but your ability to handle it has, and your mind is barely even on it...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 08:18:34 PM »
wow that the really helps alot, as well as the other tips. Thanks guys really really aprecitate it

RedTail

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »
i have been up againest some ppl who were in the same plane as me, which i was sure i could win againest being skilled in that certain plane. Turns out i was wrong so i asked them how they did it, they said flaps and tactics of course i said the same thing because i did. Then he said did i have stall limiter disabled, i said no, he said there is your problem. So i was curious and took it off, i hated it because it seemed to just get me into more stalls then win more fights. What i would like to is how do you guys deal with it, do you like it off or on, and what advantage or disadvantage does it have in a dogfight? Thanks

The person that told you that really didn't know what they were talking about.  As pointed out by others, in an angles fight where you need to ride the edge of the envelope, the stall limiter prevents you from doing that by limiting your angle of attack (AoA).  This will actually put you at a disadvantage against someone that doesn't have the stall limiter engaged as they can freely ride the edge beyond what you can.

However, in some planes it's not as detrimental than in other planes but it will still put you at a disadvantage if you start to maneuver or get into a fight against someone that doesn't have it enabled.  The planes were having it enabled isn't as detrimental as in other planes are those planes that are typically used for Energy Fighting, where they really don't have to worry about exceeding the AoA and going into an accelerated stall.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song