Author Topic: Trivia #7  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Trivia #7
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 01:55:31 AM »
What major flaw did the Typhoon develop during high speed flight.

the desire to HO then run when said HO attempt failed.

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 08:38:02 AM »
Bigrat your partly right yes the tail section did have a tendency to come off the cause of this was due mainly to " harmonic vibration"

Do you mean "resonance and then failure" due specific vibration frequencies? and what was the source - wake turbulence, flutter or engine rpm (unlikely)
Nicholas Boileau "Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return"

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »
Only a small number were lost that way before modifications were done.  The fish plates around the rear fuselage you see on all the Typhoon skins stopped it by way of brute strengthening rather than fixing the root cause, but it did stop it.

I read somewhere about a flight of Typhoons trying to bounce some 190s over Dieppe, they damaged two, but two of the Typhoons tails broke off in the initial dive and ended up in the dirt.  I am not at home for a week or so, but will try to dig it out when I get back.

One of the biggest problems early on was engine reliability on the Sabre and the forced early introduction to counter the hit and run raids by 190s on the south coast of England.  The Typhoon squadrons would patrol up and down the channel at low level and quite often the engine would fail.  They were too low to bail out so would have to attempt to ditch.  The radiator on the nose meant that the aircraft had a tendency to nose in and dive beneath the surface rather than float.  There is an account of one pilot who had this happen to him, and he ended up sitting at the bottom of the English Channel in the cockpit, which was turning out to be a pretty good air chamber.  He managed to get the canopy off and make it to the surface for rescue.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:20:39 PM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 10:31:11 PM »
The Dieppe incident is one I've read about too.    The Spit XII drivers had to watch out for Tiffies too as they had a tendency to bounce clipped wing Spits thinking they were 109s.

The 109F had the same problem with tails coming off early on as well.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters