Author Topic: Having problems with TRIM  (Read 603 times)

Offline Doctahg

• Zinc Member
Having problems with TRIM
« on: December 23, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
I am having a bear of a time getting trim to work.  Maybe it is only for subtle changes?  I didnt think so, but i can't get it to do what i want.  Any pointers?  I'm pretty sure I am htting the right keys, and have it mapped correctly but it just isn't wrorking for me!  let me know please!
Doc
Pork! It's the other white meat...and it's AH's ONLY meat!!!!!!!!!!!
OINK!
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
Re: Having problems with TRIM
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:03:54 AM »
The important question would be "What are you trying to get it to do?"

Trim adjust the aircraft to ease the load of flying. As fuel is used, or speed changes trim is used to keep the plane on an even keel so you are not always holding the stick to one side to compensate for an empty tank.

In Aces they have a setting called "Combat trim" which automatically adjust the trim of your plane for you. The problem is in some planes this can hurt more than help. In a 38, as I go vertical the combat trim will trim the nose down. When I rope someone I can get the plane down under 50 mph easy with the combat trim running it will almost seem like it gets stuck in the air for a second be fore responding to me. With out it it doesn't do that because my plane isn't trimed so far nose down. And in most fight a second is a long time !

For most player combat trim "ON" is how they fly. Some believe that triming the plane gives them an edge to push the plane a little closer to the edge in a fight. An easy work around is to have a button on your stick/throttle programmed to toggle combat trim on/off. Flick the trim on, then off will retrim the plane for that speed. As you get slower in a fight, level, flick it on and off again and your retrimmed for the slower speed.

Offline Doctahg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »
What aggravated me last night was a took an LA7 and once it got over 1000feet it decided to go nose up, and roll left.  No amount of trim could get it to stop.
Pork! It's the other white meat...and it's AH's ONLY meat!!!!!!!!!!!
OINK!
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »
What aggravated me last night was a took an LA7 and once it got over 1000feet it decided to go nose up, and roll left.  No amount of trim could get it to stop.

Is it possible it's a joystick problem?

There are two types of trim in AH.  Auto Combat Trim, and Manual trim. 

The easiest trim option available is to simply make sure the Auto trim is enabled, which you do on the clipboard under Options/Preferences/Flight.  Make sure the box for Auto Combat Trim is checked.  (Since you're there, I'd make sure the stall limiter box is UN-checked as well, but that's a different subject...).  In flight, there should be a small light showing for "Combat Trim" on the instrument panel. 

Does the plane fly fine like that?  If so, it probably isn't a joystick problem.

There's no reason 1000ft would matter when it comes to trim, and the same can be said for the joystick.  Rolling left could be due to engine torque, and a stall.  How fast were you flying at that point?

If any of this helps, great!  If not, maybe you can film what's happening and post it here, so we can see?

Are you new to the game, or pretty experienced? 

Manual trim doesn't amount to subtle changes, but they're not drastic instantaneous changes either.  If your joystick is fine, and Combat Trim works, then I'd suspect a mapping issue with your Manual trim set-up.  What type of joystick, and how are you mapping them?  To the stick or throttle?  To the keyboard?  To a button or to a dial?

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:30:36 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »
As I can tell, hitting ANY manual trim button kills combat trim, eliminating an intermediate step. I usually hit X to turn it back on later...sometimes ctrl X if it's hindering fight
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
You have trim indicators inside your cockpit. You should see them move. As mentioned, if combat trim is on it will over-ride any trim keys because it constantly re-sets the trim.

If you have trim mapped to an axis (a movable lever, say on your joystick) it will not accept key press inputs, as it always reflects the axis position.

If you have it mapped to an axis, remember that you must return this axis back to center during calibration (in-game calibration, I mean) as it can mess up the trim access if you leave it all the way to one extreme or the other.

Depending on your aircraft speed you should notice a LOT of change in your trim and handling if you move it from one extreme to the other.