Author Topic: A6M5 help  (Read 2000 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: A6M5 help
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
Do you have the "Stall Limiter" on by any chance ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  One of the first things I checked was if the stall limiter was on.  With further practice I think the issue is more with the layer of rust I have acquired and that the flying style in the MA has changed some.  Throttle has indeed become more important.  Prior to my hiatus it was rare that I needed to jockey the throttle much, because most opponents stuck with B&Z.  Back then I knew I was dealing with an experienced player if I had to touch my throttle at all during a fight.  My kill ratio of 2 to 1 in a Zero is coming slowly back and the sorties with three or more kills is not quite as rare now.  Sure wish the Zero would get the makeover most other aircraft have gotten.  :cry

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »
well im a good A6M pilot and i can tell you one thing-never try to intercept a f4u, when he comes at you go into the verticle for one second come back down and do a HO (thats the tactic that works for me) :joystick:

Hardly the advice from a "good A6M pilot" and one piece of advice no one should follow.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
well im a good A6M pilot and i can tell you one thing-never try to intercept a f4u, when he comes at you go into the verticle for one second come back down and do a HO (thats the tactic that works for me) :joystick:

HOing in a Zeke is beyond lunacy!

See what happens when u try and ho a p47 with a zeke....  :devil

In a zero, I would NEVER suggest hoing anyone, its likes to catch fire and is anything but robust.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »

In a zero, I would NEVER suggest hoing anyone, its likes to catch fire and is anything but robust.

In real life, IJAF pilots were very reluctant to engage in head on attacks and would often try and break off instead of going through with one.  Not sure why this was but a lot of USAAF groups in the PTO would use head on tactics to take the advantage.  Not saying none of the IJAF pilot ever engaged in a head on attack, it was they were less likely to than their US and Allied opposition.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 10:21:28 AM »

:rofl
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 10:36:45 PM »
See what happens when u try and ho a p47 with a zeke....  :devil

I recall once, way back in AH1 days, being in a 1v1 dogfight with an F4U-1C in my A6M5b.  We came out of a turn facing each other at about 600 yards range and not enough E on either of us to generate a hard target if we tried to avoid the HO and the other guy didn't.  We both opened fire and jinked at the last moment, his four M2 20mm cannons vs my two Type 99 Model II 20mm cannons.  We both got hits, but not solid bursts.  I killed his engine and he punched a hole in my oil lines.

It is possible to win the HO, just not likely.

(It had been a good fight, so I flew along side the F4U-1C as he tried to glide it to base, waggled my wings and then headed for my CV.)
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »
Hardly the advice from a "good A6M pilot" and one piece of advice no one should follow.

ack-ack
or any pile-it for that matter.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »
I love flying the zeke and if you are up for it, I could take you to the TA or DA and shake off some rust in teaching you the zeke. But that is if you want to. :salute
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 11:38:01 AM »
I love flying the zeke and if you are up for it, I could take you to the TA or DA and shake off some rust in teaching you the zeke. But that is if you want to. :salute

Thanks Wildcat.  I will look for you in the MA and would enjoy fighting against another Zero pilot to see just how far behind the eight ball I am.  :salute

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »
Thanks Wildcat.  I will look for you in the MA and would enjoy fighting against another Zero pilot to see just how far behind the eight ball I am.  :salute

just an fyi, both versions of the zeke are enabled in the ava i think......decent place to learn it too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
just an fyi, both versions of the zeke are enabled in the ava i think......decent place to learn it too.

Indeed it is, fighting against the zeke without an icon will also help you with how well you track an enemy plane and zekes, for that matter, seeing as a zeke can out-turn 99% of the other planes in the game. Just an observation I made in my P-40  :aok
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 03:34:27 PM »
Just FYI for anyone else having trouble picking AH back up, I found my problem.  During my hiatus I upgraded my monitor from a 19" standard to a 23" widescreen.  Naturally I set the resolution to the monitor default of 1920x1080.  Looking at another thread on this BBS I saw that someone had similar problems with gunnery and a monitor change.  It required them to adjust the resolution to bring everything back.  I changed my resolution to 1600x900 and now everything feels close to when I left over a year ago.  Granted I am still a little rusty, but I am able to hit when I think I should.  More importantly in a Zero is that I can now more accurately judge when to side step in-coming shots.  :salute

TShark

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 05:26:26 AM »
In real life, IJAF pilots were very reluctant to engage in head on attacks and would often try and break off instead of going through with one.  Not sure why this was but a lot of USAAF groups in the PTO would use head on tactics to take the advantage.  Not saying none of the IJAF pilot ever engaged in a head on attack, it was they were less likely to than their US and Allied opposition.

ack-ack

just a guess, but the zeke didnt have much cocpit protection did it?

if i was a IJAF pilot, about to go into a HO with a p40, i'd break off too,sure i MAY be able to shoot the p40 down, but i know i wouldnt survive to celebrate my victory.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »
The zeke had about 1/2" aluminum plate behind the pilot, that's it.

The only time I ever remember HOing in a zeke was when a 262 thought it would be nice to see my pilot up close and personal. 1 wing later, he was regretting that sorely.

Oh, and... Bump?
Landing is overrated.