Author Topic: Spitfire XVIs in wartime air combat  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Re: Spitfire XVIs in wartime air combat
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 05:45:53 PM »

Guppy, this makes too much sense. Stop it! You'll break the spirit of the Spit whiners and they won't have any "credible evidence" to prove why Spitfires should be perked. :furious

:D
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »
if we have it your way then "Spitfire LF.Mk IXe" will be classified as mid war aircraft.
Nonsense.  The Spitfire LF.Mk IXe entered service in 1944.  The Spitfire LF.Mk IX was a 1943 aircraft, but it didn't have the .50 cals or the capability to carry the two 250lb bombs in addition to the 500lb bomb.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 06:42:14 PM »
Nonsense.  The Spitfire LF.Mk IXe entered service in 1944.  The Spitfire LF.Mk IX was a 1943 aircraft, but it didn't have the .50 cals or the capability to carry the two 250lb bombs in addition to the 500lb bomb.
YA!  And let that be a lesson to you!!!  Don't EVER screw with the Great Karnak!! lol. (nice info man...)
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
if we have it your way then "Spitfire LF.Mk IXe" will be classified as mid war aircraft.

i say keep it as is and just give us spit XII for mid war :aok

-----

for those who are not familiar with spit XII, it's basically a clipped-wing, low-boost wep spit 14 with almost the same climb and speed as the in-game Fw-190A-5.
I'm sure XII won't be as unbalancing as the XVI.

Don't even get me started on the Spit XII :)  I'd trade the XVI for an XII in a heartbeat
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »
Don't even get me started on the Spit XII :)  I'd trade the XVI for an XII in a heartbeat

i bet that model killed more luftbirds than spit XVI :bolt:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »
Fortunate it is, in that case, that we have a Spitfire LF.Mk IXe in AH, and not a Spitfire Mk XVI; and the Spitfire LF.Mk IXe most definitely shot down more German aircraft than did the Spitfire Mk XII.

Really, to be practical, when complaining about the Mk XVI, the kill totals of both the Spitfire LF.Mk IXe and Spitfire Mk XVI need to be combined as they are, other than a very slight difference in full throttle height, the same airplane.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 11:08:04 PM »
Fortunate it is, in that case, that we have a Spitfire LF.Mk IXe in AH, and not a Spitfire Mk XVI; and the Spitfire LF.Mk IXe most definitely shot down more German aircraft than did the Spitfire Mk XII.

Really, to be practical, when complaining about the Mk XVI, the kill totals of both the Spitfire LF.Mk IXe and Spitfire Mk XVI need to be combined as they are, other than a very slight difference in full throttle height, the same airplane.

Yeah, but like one's got "XVI" after it and one's got some other numerals or something, and there's like some rule made up by the Romans or the Romanians or whatever about that not being the same or they can sue you for misrepresentation or false advertising or some sh** like that.  [Brooke doing his best impression of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGp4DvFEgh8&feature=fvsr .]

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 12:35:24 AM »

While a Spit XII squadron was high scorer in October 43, I wouldn't bet on that as there were more XVIs and more squadrons flying XVIs.

XIIs claimed 54 E/A and 82 V-1s

Figure 20 alone by 403 Squadron and the odds are pretty good the XVI had more total kills.  And I'm a Spit XII fanatic of the highest order.  The XIIs only claimed 3 E/A in the 9 months of 1944 they were operational.  Everything else was in 1943 prior to the 8th AF pushing things further.  The Luftwaffe was a bit preoccupied over Germany in 44 and the XIIs didn't go that far.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 04:41:49 AM »
a P51D takes more skill to fly than the Spit16/ MK IX LFe whatever it is thingy. A good P51 pilot will give a Spit16 a run for its money any day.

Eek... That's a fairly bold statement, in my opinion. :confused:

P-51D vs Spit XVI on the deck, pilots and energy equal, the Spit will take the Pony 9 times out of 10.

Higher altitude is a bit of a bit of a different story from what I've seen in-game (15k feet+).  Don't seem to see to many Spits up that high, though.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »
From '2nd Tactical Air Force Volume 4' (Shores) I count a total of 19 Spit XVIs squadrons (or 6 fighter groups worth by USAAF methods) by wars end in the ETO flying with that unit on the continent (based in France, Holland or Germany) with the RAF (including foreign manned squadrons; Poles, French, Belgians ect) and RCAF. That does not include Spitfire LF IXs just XVIs. I might be off by one it was a quick count just going through the pages. As for the # of kills those are listed but its a rather laborious task to go through the entire series Vol 1-3 and count them up maybe some day when I have some more time. For info.

Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »
Eek... That's a fairly bold statement, in my opinion. :confused:

P-51D vs Spit XVI on the deck, pilots and energy equal, the Spit will take the Pony 9 times out of 10.

Higher altitude is a bit of a bit of a different story from what I've seen in-game (15k feet+).  Don't seem to see to many Spits up that high, though.

thats because the spitdweebs are too scared to come above 10k. thats where my buffs live  :t

Offline Threeup

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2010, 06:56:10 AM »
From '2nd Tactical Air Force Volume 4' (Shores) I count a total of 19 Spit XVIs squadrons (or 6 fighter groups worth by USAAF methods) by wars end in the ETO flying with that unit on the continent (based in France, Holland or Germany) with the RAF (including foreign manned squadrons; Poles, French, Belgians ect) and RCAF. That does not include Spitfire LF IXs just XVIs. I might be off by one it was a quick count just going through the pages. As for the # of kills those are listed but its a rather laborious task to go through the entire series Vol 1-3 and count them up maybe some day when I have some more time. For info.

I enquired of my squad CO who has the skill to do a Free French (RAF) XVI skin for me and apparently those XVI's were of the bubble canopy variety according to a knowledgeable source. Is this another permutation in the XVI's claim to authenticity in game? I defer to those with more information than me and use the skins available - skin deep.
The Mighty Raw Prawns

"It's all good fun until someone loses an eye" Rooster Cogburn

http://youtu.be/pxM8XB61ZvU

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 07:11:49 AM »
buff pilot whos protesting for the spits to be banned in DA.

thats a dumb campaign  :rolleyes:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »
I enquired of my squad CO who has the skill to do a Free French (RAF) XVI skin for me and apparently those XVI's were of the bubble canopy variety according to a knowledgeable source. Is this another permutation in the XVI's claim to authenticity in game? I defer to those with more information than me and use the skins available - skin deep.

He inquire of me on that.  The French didn't get many XVI, they had IXs. The bubble canopy XVIs did not arrive at the squadrons until the end of April 45 and never in any numbers until after the war.  This applied to the bubble canopy XIVs as well.  The overwhelming majority of combat XVIs were of the regular high back profile like we have in game.  This allows for far more skin options and also the skinning of LFIXe on it as well.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters