Author Topic: Landing on fields  (Read 1510 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: Landing on fields
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
Yea...and if have half a wing on landing and you don't make it on the runway, that should still count as a landing.

do you have any idea how many pilots/crews died within sight of the runway?

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »
Yea...and if have half a wing on landing and you don't make it on the runway, that should still count as a landing.

Sorry Thrash but it just isn't going to work out that way.  You'd have just as much luck wishing for foo fighters.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »
In some situations, it's not that easy to land perfectly, especially if you have half a wing, even no ailerons and only control of rudder.

I guess that's why they invented the parachute.

How long you been playing squeeky?

Did you get caught thinking again or just run here because you did the crash and boom thing again for the thousandth time?

White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 12:51:32 PM »
do you have any idea how many pilots/crews died within sight of the runway?

last tour I think I was in the 50's  :devil
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »
dont use landing gear, that way if you survive, it will count as a sucessful landing.
But why, if you land good on the field somewhere, all you really should do, is end sortie, landing successful.

Jokers Jokers
"CAN'T TALK NOW.....GOTTA SHOOT!" - Dan Zoernig
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - 56th FG

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 12:52:32 PM »
But why can they land successful when most are at enemy spawn? I doesn't make sense why gvs don't have to be near base, and they land perfectly, but planes have to be right on the runway.

Ok, here it is real nice and clear:

Ground vehicles are governed by a different set of rules than airplanes - and some of those rules set the conditions for successful "landing".  That's it.  No mystery here, it's just the way it is.  Do you also wish to do away with spawn points and make a GV spawn in his hangar and drive 30mph for an hour to get to the fight, and if after surviving the fight drive another hour back to his base?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »

Did you get caught thinking again or just run here because you did the crash and boom thing again for the thousandth time?

3 years, and no it wasn't a crash and boom, was an inch off the runway if you weren't so lazy to read what I started with at the beginning of the topic.

Jokers Jokers

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »
Not much gets the pulse pounding in this game anymore.

One of the things that does is when you're coming in on short final, oil pressure near 0, fuel near 0 and half a wing missing.

You know you've only got 1 chance to do it right..........

Time to cowboy up and slide this baby in on the runway.

Hop out and head to the O'club for cold drinks and hot broads. (Chicks dig a good crash landing.)
See Rule #4

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
Ok, here it is real nice and clear:

Ground vehicles are governed by a different set of rules than airplanes - and some of those rules set the conditions for successful "landing".  That's it.  No mystery here, it's just the way it is.  Do you also wish to do away with spawn points and make a GV spawn in his hangar and drive 30mph for an hour to get to the fight, and if after surviving the fight drive another hour back to his base?
So basically what your saying, is you could be across the entire map opposite from you in enemy territory and still land successfully??  :huh How? :headscratch: It doesn't make sense

Jokers Jokers

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »
But why, if you land good on the field somewhere, all you really should do, is end sortie, landing successful.

if you land with both wheels on the runway or the entire plane on the runway, its a successful landing. but if you land in the dirt, yeah you live, but its not a sucessful landing. its just an OK landing.

is the 737 that lands in the dirt a successful landing at logan airport? or is it one they can walk away from? its definitely not a successful landing. look at it that way!

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 12:56:34 PM »
Not much gets the pulse pounding in this game anymore.

One of the things that does is when you're coming in on short final, oil pressure near 0, fuel near 0 and half a wing missing.

You know you've only got 1 chance to do it right..........

Time to cowboy up and slide this baby in on the runway.

Hop out and head to the O'club for cold drinks and hot broads. (Chicks dig a good crash landing.)

They do?

*takes laptop to Hooters

I'll let you know how it worked out for me :D

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 12:58:17 PM »
They do?

*takes laptop to Hooters

I'll let you know how it worked out for me :D

Free wings........ guaranteed.  :lol
See Rule #4

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »

The parachute will only count as a bailed successfull message, most times it always counts as a ditch.

Jokers Jokers

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
So basically what your saying, is you could be across the entire map opposite from you in enemy territory and still land successfully??  :huh How? :headscratch: It doesn't make sense

I doesn't have to make sense.  It's a game, and that's one of the rules built into it.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
Take it easy Thrash, it's all good.  It does not count as a death, you just do not get your name up in lights when you have 2 or more kills.  Some of the most exciting flights I have had involve a torn up aircraft, barely flyable, limping home, deadstick.  You put that baby down on the runway and you have a nice sense of accomplishment.  I always check the damage message before landing if I have been hit to see if the landing gear is intact, if not, just slide her down the runway wheels up.

As you gain experience and ability you will be glad that things here can be difficult, that is what makes it so much fun.
Wag more, bark less.