Author Topic: Make the P51D a perked aircraft  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Make the P51D a perked aircraft
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »
No way pony needs or deserves to be perked, obviously HTC feels the same about the Spit 16.

The pony especially has its shortcomings that can be exploited.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 09:17:29 AM »
I think their initial fear factor in the war and far advanced engineering at the time earn them the right to be in our little game.

Plus, they're nice to have for scenarios such as the upcoming 2011 Battle over Germany scenario.
you mean the ones we're gonna shoot down? :D

back on topic... I fly the P51B mainly, love the bird. for me its easier to fly than the Delta... Should my 51B be perked too?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 10:49:27 AM »
Most 51s are skittish enough as it is.  Perking will only make them more so.

Now having a destroyable 51D strat on the other hand...  :devil
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »
Personally, I think any plane ENY 10 or less needs to have a 1-5 perk cost.  Just like HTC has done with the T-34/85 and the M4/76.

+1 on this idea - perk em all. 

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 02:35:40 PM »
you mean the ones we're gonna shoot down? :D

back on topic... I fly the P51B mainly, love the bird. for me its easier to fly than the Delta... Should my 51B be perked too?
no way should be bravo be perked! delta shouldnt either because all it does is dive in from 30k run away then do it over again...nothing really worth perking over. -1 to this idea

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 10:22:28 PM »
no way should be bravo be perked! delta shouldnt either because all it does is dive in from 30k run away then do it over again...nothing really worth perking over. -1 to this idea
you never flown a 51 well huh? this is far from the truth. People just believe this is the case because they cannot fly any other way.

Second off you didn't notice the sarcasm in my writing? :rolleyes:
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:48 PM »
you never flown a 51 well huh? this is far from the truth. People just believe this is the case because they cannot fly any other way.

lol bar. his calls mustangs "runstangs", and critisizes me in the DA whenever i fly one.  :rolleyes:

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 08:39:42 AM »
all the good planes get called names - but then they fly some other lw airplane or modified plane or whatever as if thats any better.

I think th perk system is fine - if anything - I would unperk the 14 too. . .

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 09:14:36 AM »
 Yep put the D-Pony back to ENY of 8 and un-perk the Spit 14. While the P-51D may not be under modeled in AH. In my opinion it is at the low end of the performance scale in here. Having been around a real life P-51D owned by a family friend. I saw what this plane can do in many air shows over the years and it still had the factory motor in it. Of course the guns and armor was gone and the fuel load was not a combat load out. So the weight was much less.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »
Yep put the D-Pony back to ENY of 8 and un-perk the Spit 14. While the P-51D may not be under modeled in AH. In my opinion it is at the low end of the performance scale in here. Having been around a real life P-51D owned by a family friend. I saw what this plane can do in many air shows over the years and it still had the factory motor in it. Of course the guns and armor was gone and the fuel load was not a combat load out. So the weight was much less.

Although I don't agree that the P-51D is on the low end of the 'uber' scale, I definitely do agree that the ENY should be raised to 8, or at the very least 7.5.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »
Although I don't agree that the P-51D is on the low end of the 'uber' scale, I definitely do agree that the ENY should be raised to 8, or at the very least 7.5.

What brings you to that conclusion?  Despite all the "noobs" flying it and its supposed lack of uberness, it still has way more kills than any other plane in the game.  Also not a bad K/D ratio for all that useage (kind of like how mediocre the M-4/76 and WW are  ;)).  And if it is really not all that great, why does it get flown so much? It is just fine at 5 ENY.

edit: I know you said it was not on the low end of the uber scale Eskimo, I threw that in there because of all the people that claim it is nothing special.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:23:30 AM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »
The plane really is nothing special, with regards to Aces High.

Because of this, it is often flown in a way that is considered timid or annoying.  In the case of most pilots, a slow pony is a dead pony, there are very few that can effectively dogfight every plane in the game w/ a pony (I myself still get whooped on a regular basis by all sorts of aircraft and I've been flying the Bravo for a couple years now).  People yell that it should be perked because there are so many P-51D's to be killed by.

Frankly, I'm surprised I don't see more Typhoon perk whines.  A BnZ Typhoon is much more deadly than a P-51.  Ponies have to keep their guns on target much longer, as their guns don't have the same "critical hit" ability that the Hizookas have.  Not to mention, I hardly ever see a Typhoon enter a fight anything less than 5k above (I know there are exceptions).  I've deduced that people are getting frustrated with the NUMBER of P-51's they see of whom they are unable to catch since they are BnZing.

It is not the fastest plane in the game by any means (LA7's whoop it)
It accelerates poorly
It's climb rate is average
It's sustained turning ability is mediocre at best
It's instant turn rate is actually pretty decent, but very short lived
It's firepower is average
Visibility is good
Directional stability is garbage (and because of this, any E-retention and gunnery abilities truly are thanks to the pilot)

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but really, this plane doesn't even come close to a perk ride.  If the Delta were perked, it would not only be the WORST perk ride in the game, but it would be severely outmatched by numerous non-perk rides.

If this game were played at 20k+ altitude, the Delta could be very scary (I feel that is when the laminar wing really shines).  However, with the way the game is played currently, perking this aircraft would accomplish nothing but make a fairly middle-of-the-road aircraft expensive.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:58:28 PM by SectorNine50 »
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
What brings you to that conclusion?  Despite all the "noobs" flying it and its supposed lack of uberness, it still has way more kills than any other plane in the game.  Also not a bad K/D ratio for all that useage (kind of like how mediocre the M-4/76 and WW are  ;)).  And if it is really not all that great, why does it get flown so much? It is just fine at 5 ENY.

(Image removed from quote.)

edit: I know you said it was not on the low end of the uber scale Eskimo, I threw that in there because of all the people that claim it is nothing special.

And, add the fact that it has the most kills despite also being used as a bomb truck. 

You know, dive in on the dar and die?

It's just dandy at 5.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
And, add the fact that it has the most kills despite also being used as a bomb truck. 

You know, dive in on the dar and die?

It's just dandy at 5.

wrongway
Most will put their flight into attack mode while doing this anyway, so the K/D is probably fairly accurate.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »

sorry, sarcasm is hard to hear when its written. :noid