Author Topic: I3 versus I5 and AH  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
Re: I3 versus I5 and AH
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 06:49:39 AM »
My system is now up and running.
Warty I am using the Sapphire Radeon 5770 flex And I am
amazed.  I am getting steady 59 -60 fps online. Everything pretty much maxed out.

I3 550 on a GA-P55 USB3
4GB G-Skill Ripjaw

And an old old sata HDrive, that needs replacing, in the future.

Tucked into a new Thermaltake V3 Black Windowed case.

Not the best by far but finding it fantastic for AH.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:53:34 AM by Ping »
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 09:34:19 AM »
AH uses one core i thought :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:03 AM »
AH uses one core i thought :old:

AH is a multi-thread Game, can use 2 cores........ but this is only on Intel Chips

us AMD users are stuck with just being able to use 1 core, by way of a workaround provided by AMD, according to Skuzzy's reply to my question in another thread.

without the workaround most of use with dual or quadcore CPU's would be experiencing all sorts of BAD THINGS....... before this workaround, us AMD users did have to use the AMD Optimizer patch file if we had a dual core CPU....... or manually go in and disable/turn off a core while playing aces high??? <-- I think I got this last part right ( going on memory )

hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 06:47:44 PM »
I just pulled the trigger on:

CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M R
MEM 2Gx2|MUSHKIN 996805 R
ASUS P8P67 EVO Intel P67 LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard

This should be fun!

Everything has shipped, CPU and memory should arrive tomorrow, motherboard on Friday, in time for the long weekend :)

/excited
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 10:45:17 PM »
<montypython>You Lucky Bastard!</montypython>

I think mine's going to get here just AFTER the long weekend. Doh!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 08:56:25 PM »
Im waiting until Koolance has the cooling apparatus for the EVGA 1155 motherboards out.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
So you mean that a 300 dollar component staying almost on par with 1000 dollar one is not worth recommending? Ok :)

Sandy bridge includes hardware level DRM implemented on die by the way. Good luck with the future.

No, I meant their claim that it's the best gaming CPU ever is bogus. Dont' get me wrong it looks great. "Best"? No. There's still a reigning king with the 980 extreme.

"Good"? Yes, definitely.

Offline Spite

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 01:25:38 AM »
No, I meant their claim that it's the best gaming CPU ever is bogus.

How so?

There was only one game result where the 980X was able to outdo the SB chips but that really isn't the point.  The 980X isn't really a gaming CPU and I would guess that less than 1% of the marketplace would pay $1000 for this CPU solely for gaming.  That the 980X is able to do so very well is not in dispute.

But for the rest of us ... these SB chips now hold the best gaming CPU value going, because the rest of us aren't paying $1000 to get arguably, marginally, need a lab instrument too measure ... top dog bragging rights.

Tom's Hardware has a "Past the point of reason" section in their best gaming CPU charts where they state "With rapidly-increasing prices over $200 offering increasingly difficult to quantify advantages in games" ... certainly the 950 and 980X tops that list they provide and no-one disputes it's the fastest CPU.  Is it the best gaming CPU?  Not for my money but you may certainly spend yours as you see fit.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
Check out the long list of other reviews. They even get into overclocking. They show the new i5 can outperform the 980x (in gaming) but only when overclocked and with the 980x at stock speeds. I don't know if it was a methodology issue, but most of the other reviews show the 980x still ruler and champ. In fact, all that I browsed through did.

Here was the list posted earlier in the thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1574006

Anandtech seems very generous in their praise.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 09:49:09 AM »
While $1000 seems like a lot of coin to toss at a gaming computer you have to ask how long that CPU will remain in your system. I tend to upgrade every three to nine months with nine months being very unusual. The reason I upgrade so often is based upon the market more often than any appreciable need on my part. So if I bought something like a 980x purely for gaming I could certainly hold off from upgrading for at least eighteen months and yes it would save money in the end. The point being I dont think you can use the price as a basis of comparison.

I would bet if the DRM aspect of Sandy Bridge gets to be a problem that someone will find a fix for it.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
If you buy a 980X, could you buy me 5 hours in a Cessna? They only cost the same amount. :D
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
No, I meant their claim that it's the best gaming CPU ever is bogus. Dont' get me wrong it looks great. "Best"? No. There's still a reigning king with the 980 extreme.

"Good"? Yes, definitely.

Well it all depends on the point of view. The SB definately gives more bang for buck compared to the 980 and is obtainable by mainstream consumers where 980 whistles past the price point.

So while not the fastest all things considered it might be pretty close to best. Just hate the hardware drm - this is the first step of locking consumers 100% out of their own hardware. If this trend continues the PC is going to be nothing but a console enslaved by content providers.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 10:41:13 AM »
Vista's BS was 90% DRM related. Hollywood and the RIAA had it checking and rechecking the local hardware bus several times sending the same info to the GPU from the CPU, etc. They are so freaking paranoid that every American in the world is pirating their DVDs and MP3s. 90% of it comes from Southeast Asia. Not us.

Stop selling movies to Hong Kong and the like, problem solved! (and stop frakking with us, you dimwitted RIAA toads: Microsoft, Intel! You're better than that!)

EDIT: I miss the good old days when stuff was designed to work, and you used it for whatever you needed, rather than having hardware/software developers "consult" with the RIAA as to how it should work. RIAA doesn't know what the Hades is going on in the world these days anyway, how the Frell should they know how to run MY computer system?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 10:51:48 AM »
Luckily if all else fails, linux is going to bypass every drm anyway. Although probably at the cost of not being able to use the services tied to it then.

No DRM ever is going to stop pirating, any device that's going to produce humanly understandable output can be analogically copied in the end if all else fails.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
Stop selling movies to Hong Kong and the like, problem solved! (and stop frakking with us, you dimwitted RIAA toads: Microsoft, Intel! You're better than that!)

Im pretty sure the problem is that they send movies to China for mass production of DVDs.