Author Topic: Why the Hordes?  (Read 23204 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why the Hordes?
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »
This is a game, therefore it's suppose to be fun for all.

It's a competitive game.  In most peoples' minds, this means it is their job to try as hard as possible to win, within the rules of the game.  Did you play any sports competitively?  Did you not take scoring opportunities you were presented with to ensure your opponents were having fun?  If you did throw those scoring opportunities, did your teammates throw you a sock party afterwards?

Why use 40-50 guys were 10-12 will do?

Because it virtually ensures success, and that is the goal people are trying to accomplish, to succeed in taking the base/getting the kills.

I liked the fishing analogy. You can either do it the sporting way with lures and bait and poles, or you could drop sticks of dynamite in the water. 

If there were no law against it, people would use TNT to fish with a lot more often than they do.  Like it or not, a good number of people will take the surest path to success they are allowed.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
the reason they take the easiest path, that's how there taught it's the easiest and they learn nothing, same thing can be said for alot of people today, take the easy way out, heaven forbid anyone puts any effort into it
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
Pro hockey has a salary cap, why? So one team can't load up on all the best players and making the championship a for gone conclusion. 
It,s highly competitive, each player striving to win for his team. Yet there are mechanics in place to try and keep things more even and entertaining for all.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »
Why?
"players" want instant action and the darbar tells "them" where it is so "they" go there.
"players" are safer in the "horde".
"players" only real competitors in the "horde" are fellow "horde" members.
"players" "win" in a "horde" because (mostly) "hordes" "win".
"players" dont "lose" in a "horde" because when "hordes" lose "players" do not consider them selves a party to it.

Missions are not hordes. Even big missions. At the very least missons have an objective and a lead persona or group.
Missons can become hordes (or consumed by them) as "players" "flock/swarm" to the dar bar and move with it from objective to objective.

Hordes will some times focus on the activities of a "queen bee" . This personna becomes a "khan" (using the original origin of the term "horde") if the personna is willing to be so used.

No form of logic or persuasion will control, limit or influence a horde, its size or its activities. Unless it is under the influence of a "khan" (even then if the "khan" does not fullfill its function then the "horde" will leave it)

There is no limiting factor to hordes or horde tendancies in AH (AFAICS)

There is only one tool (to my knowledge) that has been proven to limit the effects of horde tendancies within such a game as AH.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:58:11 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »

There is only one tool (to my knowledge) that has been proven to limit the effects of horde tendancies within such a game as AH.

and that would be ............ counter there attack
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »
Yet there are mechanics in place to try and keep things more even...

Precisely.  There is no mechanic in place to stop hording.  I am pretty sure it's impossible to implement a mechanic that can stop hording without killing the game.  The mentality in all online games is to win within the 'rules' set down by the game mechanics.  Not by the rules people seek to have people follow out of their good graces, but of what the game mechanics will allow you to do within the game.

If it's possible ingame, someone will do it regardless of how 'unfair' it may be to the other side.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2011, 12:26:42 PM »
The mechanism that limits the effect of hordes is the field (zone) limit..................

AH simply (via one set of maths or another) limits the number of players that can be flying or driving from a given field at any given time.  (In AW you got the message "all the planes/vehicles available from this field are in use at the moment")
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »
The mechanism that limits the effect of hordes is the field (zone) limit..................

Is that a really recent update, or something ancient?  I've upped from some pretty seriously populated areas over the last year or two and never once seen that message or seen anything about a field limit anywhere.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
its ancient............... along time ago in a place far far away  ;)
Ludere Vincere

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2011, 12:59:58 PM »
its ancient............... along time ago in a place far far away  ;)

That'd be great.

That way caps can tell me what arena to join,
ENY can tell me what plane to fly,
and field limits can tell me where to spawn.

:t,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »
That'd be great.

That way caps can tell me what arena to join,
ENY can tell me what plane to fly,
and field limits can tell me where to spawn.

:t,
Wab

LOL!  We're almost there... now to implement a dueling flag system so you will only be able to be damaged by the guy you choose to fight, and the system will be perfect.

Wiley.

(Note:  The dueling flag idea is sarcasm, though I did see someone suggest it seriously the other day and almost wept.)

JG11

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »
I want to be leet and have a twelve character handle name too.  Ask vWintergreen how he got all those chars cuz my name is only 5 characters and I want one that is at least 10.   :furious
vGRIZZLYBEAR4411

hope this helps  :D
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »
I want to be leet and have a twelve character handle name too.  Ask vWintergreen how he got all those chars cuz my name is only 5 characters and I want one that is at least 10.   :furious

Yeah, good point!!! I wanted to be PinkFuzzyBunnies but that was too many characters and I was forced to limit it to 8  :furious :furious :furious
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:44:30 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »
No form of logic or persuasion will control, limit or influence a horde, its size or its activities. Unless it is under the influence of a "khan" (even then if the "khan" does not fullfill its function then the "horde" will leave it)
:lol :aok

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »

That is what is missing in the game IMHO ... countries don't see to have the "core" set of squads that are the "protectors".

AKs, LTARs, JG3-udet, etc. a few of the squads that were fun to fight with or against.
Tour 70 2005 to present