Author Topic: Your best landings with parts missing?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: Your best landings with parts missing?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
Ki61....coming in with no ailerons and one elevator missing.....flew half a sector....couldn't line up straight down the runway landed hard broke the gear but bounced and skidded into the bomber hanger (old field layout) missing or broke parts everywhere.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 12:16:21 PM »
Had a wirb or Osty take off my outer wing in a B-25H. I was low to the ground, and slow. Through a combination of determination, lightning quick reaction speeds, and sheer bloody luck, I managed to kill the opposite engine, stomp rudder, pop flaps, gear at the last second (deploying as I touched down) and rode the low wheel for a while before carefully plopping down on the grass. Luckily I was away from the guy that shot my wing off! I taxied all the way back to the V-base I was defending for a safe landing. I have yet to reproduce this feat in a B-25H!!

Another time I had my tail feathers popped off in an F4u-1 defending a field. Some dweeb in a wirb was trying to vulch the runway and driving to the field. Took off both my elevators. I managed to use throttle, gear, and flaps to adjust my pitch, landed in a straight line (unfortunately heading AWAY from the field I just flew past) and set her down gently. I turned around and drove my way back to the field (at least a few miles by this point) for a safe landing.

Both in the MA, both some time back. I get a lot of damaged landings, but these 2 really stood out. First one because it was so rare. Second one because I rarely land without elevators intact (the F4u is so forgiving in this game -- in real life it would have done me in!)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »
Don't know if it would be my "best", but certainly my most frightening for my virtual crew.  Was in a B-24 and some fighters and an osti beat me to heck and back.  1 plane left and missing: Oil in 3 engines, 2-3 gas leaks, 3 engines dead, 2 gear out, far too many holes to count and many other parts shot off.  Had to bring the single B-24 back home on 1 engine for about a sector with almost no gas while an osti shot at me on approach to land at the port (old port and was landing on the dock that runs parallel with the water line).  B-24s don't fly so well with 1 engine, they tend to fall...fast. :)

B-25H is the thing I seem to break the most, a lot of my sorties end up being 2x 1/2 winged drives (literally drives) a sector back to base while enemies search for me.

I break far too many things before landing, it's a trouble I need to fix someday.  Flying for 1/2 a sector and landing an F2.B with no V-stab, no that is fun. :D
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 12:36:16 PM »
Hardest landing I can remember was a 190 with 1 missing aileron, no elevators, and no rudder. You never realize how much you appreciate having elevator or rudder controls until you've lost them.

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »
I've got to post this even though it was a ditch.  This was before the days of drone bombers.  B25 I believe it was.  No wingtips, no vert stab, one engine.  My gunner didn't even realize we had a problem, kept saying "do this, do that." I had my work cut out for me just getting it on the ground.  If you insist on actual landing, well i've done the no wingtips thing a few times in a ki84, ditched a 163 this way just the other day within feet of the runway.  Oh the perkies!  :cry

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »
B-25s are a new addition. They have always had drones (referring to the -25C).

Also, no wingtips, no v-stab, 1 engine out, is not a flyable condition. The 1 engine would pull you and the opposite wing would drop as well, something you could not correct without ailerons OR a rudder (which you didn't have because your stab was gone).

Sorry, gotta call BS on that one.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »

in the training arena - just for fun

no damage????

annnd my magic planes! "Night timeeeee. DAY TIME!"

Hmm...I don't have a photo of my worst landing, but I have the story :)

I was in my beloved B17, flying towards the evil Rook empire and it's strats. I reached an altitude of 25K when I came across two 190's. After a brief scrap, sending both planes spiraling down in flames, I changed course to prevent them from finding me on their re-up. Once at the strategic target I was attacked by a speedy 163 and it's canons of doom. At this point I lost 2 engines but was able to complete my drop and the 163 rtb'd (fuel?). On the run home, still climbing at 28K, feeding my hamsters more carrots to make the props go faster I was again attacked by two 190's...but there was a 110 with them this go round. In short all three go down, I lose 3 engines, I lose both flaps ailerons, and elevators. I had reached 34K (trying to run when I starting getting close to Winchester) and before I could start to lose alt, my last engine shuts off.....I had run out of fuel. I had forgotten that those 30mm had punched my fuel tanks  :O

So I glided for what seemed like an eternity. 1 bomber, alone, against the world lol. I kept her up for over 3 sectors. After what seemed like the longest glide known to man, I finally spot land! "YES!" I thought....only to hear a rumbling motor in the distance. "Probably just a friendly from the field up here." *looks at clipboard - no green dots* "Oh sh**....." I was on my final to the field, hoping to get within ack range before he could catch up, but alas, it was not to be....he made a pass in his P47, my pilot tried to catch a round with his face and got wounded. I black out, no gear, and hear my plane smash into the runway and begin the slide to victory. My pilot awoke some seconds later. Just in time to find his clipboard and hit the "End flight" key and magically disappear into the tower :D
Enjoy the story and remember, when you see a B17 trying to do a barrel roll.....it's probably me and it's best that you let me die of my own accord.   :rofl

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:17:26 PM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »

Also, no wingtips, no v-stab, 1 engine out, is not a flyable condition.

LOL Krusty, everything missing is a flyable condition as far as I'm concerned!

How far can you fly like that?

[Ron White] All the way to the scene of the crash! [/Ron White]

:rofl :rofl
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 01:17:53 PM »
LOL Krusty, everything missing is a flyable condition as far as I'm concerned!

How far can you fly like that?

[Ron White] All the way to the scene of the crash! [/Ron White]

:rofl :rofl
lol i love that skit
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 01:28:31 PM »
Krusty, it could have been a b24 or maybe some other buff.  This was very early AH days, probably before pay to play.  I remember having to throttle down considerably to keep flying and I wasn't able to maintain my altitude but it was a controlled descent.  I was using engine speed for control as well.  I think I was lucky to be rolled at an angle to compensate for the engine thing.  The flight path was a long slow turn to one side and gradually downward .  We had cons on us at the time which was why my gunner didn't notice.  The distance we traveled was fairly short, probably about normal gliding distance from a height of about 2k.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
262 with Pilot wound and part of my left wing gone...I was on final aproach and blacked out from PW..

I skid in on the runway with gear up and literally heard 6 bounces from touchdown and going airborne again.

Got a successful luckily :D

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:19 PM »

D3A 99% vulched, 1% landed successfully.  :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 02:32:48 PM »
Thought I posted already. Oh well.

Had no wing tips on either wing of my 262. Flying with flaps and rudder only. That was fun.

That was back when the 262 wings would snap if you sneezed to hard.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
Man i would have to go through alot of films for my best ones lol but heres a couple, one from the AvA the other MA

Figured out a plane wont fly without its wings

This pic i lost my wing and landing gear and various other parts  :rofl  , im all shot up, oil all over the place i have a PW just trying to make it home with 5 kills, just slide off the runway and up the hill but i lived  :x  thank my ground crew for the pics

UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch