Author Topic: Rockets  (Read 594 times)

Offline Majors

• Copper Member
Rockets
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:39:42 PM »
Hi Mates

Seems as though since AHII, my rockets have become all duds.  I do most of my flying low level fighter bomber type missions.  When we got the Typhoon, I figured that I could tear up some GV's etc at low level.

I understand that bombs need to travel at least 1500 ft.  Usually released from above that altitude.  Is there some restriction on rockets as well?  In RL, rockets armed when fired from the aircraft and exploded on contact.

Have never figured out the bomb sight in AH.

Anyone having a similar problem?

Majors
249RAF

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Rockets
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »
There shouldn't be arming restrictions on rockets. Simplest test is to roll your fighter up to a wall (e.g. hangar) and salvo.

The bomb sight should have a tutorial on the trainers' site.
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com

Keep in mind that armored targets need either a direct hit or very close hit (depending on ordnance) to deal damage.  E.G. you can land many near hits on a Tiger with the SdKfz 251 rockets to no effect, whereas they'll kill a Panzer more easily.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
Bombs only need to travel 1000 ft. I don't know of any restriction on rockets. If you fly in the TA or turn on the bombing cross offline you'll see where the rockets will hit and you can learn the correct sight picture for a particular dive angle, speed, and release altitude.

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:37:10 PM »
The only other thing I'll add is that rockets have quite a bit of drop so make sure you are figuring for that when you aim. I'm not aware of a sight you can use for rockets in particular but perhaps someone else does. I think its actually simple enough to get accurate with them that no one has invested in creating one.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
I have reasonably good luck firing rockets using the very bottom of my gunsight as an aiming point.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:34 PM »
There were some rocket sights made, for at least one of the specific rocket types.. IIRC there was one for the 190F-8's rockets posted on the (sounds & skins?) forum.  If I find any in my old AH archives I'll post em here for anyone willing to try em.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:21:31 AM »
I use this one, I use the first set of circles for rockets, and the second set for bombs.

Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
I don't fly a lot of planes with rockets, but I believe they have a short smoke trail, but will fly for quite a bit longer.  Are you seeing the smoke trail disappear and thinking they should have exploded at that point, taking your eye off the target and not seeing the rocket explode?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »
do you just copy the image into your gunsight file to use it?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:12:06 AM »
do you just copy the image into your gunsight file to use it?

Highlight the image, right click and save as "BitMap" to your desktop.  Then drop it into your sights subfolder.
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK