Author Topic: Gunsight making  (Read 623 times)

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
Gunsight making
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
just want to know how big to make the gunsight, and what colors are recomended
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gunsight making
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
just want to know how big to make the gunsight, and what colors are recomended
I think it has to be 80x80, colors; your choice I personally like red and bright yellow sights
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
gunsight images are bitmaps in the usual powers of two dimensions format (256x256, 512x512, etc).

By default, all gunsight image files display in the game at a maximum diameter of 128mil (simply put, this is how much of the screen the gunsight occupies). So if you make a ring that's 256px in diameter, it translates to a resolution of 2px/mil in the game. If you take your 256x256 image file and make a ring on it 100px in diameter (thus, not filling up the entire image) you get a 50mil ring. You can change the maximum size at which a gunsight is displayed in the game by creating a .MIL file associated with your BMP file, which specifies the new size.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:02:27 AM »
I'm trying to get it, but you lost me. I've made several sights. for me its been something to give better direction of where to toss my munitions. I guess I just don't get the mil concept... does it make a difference?   I mean, a dot In the center, cross hairs, circle, an X,  or mudflap girls... whats with the mil?  just make it fit.... :headscratch:
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »
Technical definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_mil

But as I said, if you want to be simple mils determines how much of the screen the gunsight takes up. IRL, mils were used for ranging and lead computation when taking a shot.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.