Author Topic: Old Ford 2.3L question  (Read 145 times)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Old Ford 2.3L question
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
I'm still monkeying around on my kid's 78 Mustang.

I rebuilt the 2.3L bottom end 30 over, installed the old tired heads, new 2BB carb, and all new gaskets. I had 16" of vacuum steady, with the timing set at 12 @1,000 RPM. Not too high but bear in mind that Salt Lake is 4,200 ft high, 1" per 1,000ft loss. Spraying starter fluid all around the carb base, and intake manifold, I couldn't find a leak. I also blocked the EGR port with a plate, and removed the AIR pump, blocked the exaust manifold port.

I bought a set of 2.3L heads from Marshall Engines to replace the gunked up original heads. Engine sounds healthier, feels less sluggish on the go, but now I have only 13" steady on the manifold gauge, and that's with the timing at 15. Again checked for leaks and couldn't find any.

You know I lined up the timing marks on the timing metal timing cover for TDC, and the Cam sprocket timing mark with the one of the plastic timing backplate.

Since I'm pretty sure I don't have a vac leak, is it possible that I might be one tooth off on my cam sprocket? Is there a way to check without ripping the engine open again to check that both int/exhaust valves are closed when the sprocket is at the timing pointer? Steady low vac could be cause by a valve being slightly opened right?

And lastly, with BOTH heads I have this clak clak clak coming from the front of the engine, like a noisy lifter, I eard it's normal on those 2.3 .... is it?
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------