Author Topic: ID of a Russian Pin?  (Read 260 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
ID of a Russian Pin?
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »
So, my friend's dad picked this up at a garage sale and wants to know about it. It's nothing I can recognize, but I figured the guys here might be able to shed some light on it.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: ID of a Russian Pin?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »
http://www.challengecoinauctions.com/RUSSIAN-CCCP-SOVIET-KGB-LOGO-MILITARY-POLICE-LAPEL-PIN,name,129416,auction_id,auction_details

It is a KGB lapel pin.

Does it look genuine? He wants to know what it may be worth in resale, but this is not exactly my area of expertise.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:00:43 AM »
So, my friend's dad picked this up at a garage sale and wants to know about it. It's nothing I can recognize, but I figured the guys here might be able to shed some light on it.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

FYI all kinds of ex soviet union memorabilia has been sold in the millions post breakup and even before that. You can buy whole uniforms and equipment packs, weapons included for small change. The desperate police / military members sold basically anything they could steal from the government.

I know this doesn't help you but just a warning in case you think it's worth something.

So chances are that badge is worthless.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »
FYI all kinds of ex soviet union memorabilia has been sold in the millions post breakup and even before that. You can buy whole uniforms and equipment packs, weapons included for small change. The desperate police / military members sold basically anything they could steal from the government.

I know this doesn't help you but just a warning in case you think it's worth something.

Not really. They sold "blank" uniforms , whatever pins and labels were on them are from Soviet version of boyscouts  or DOSAAF. Foreigners were too exited to realize that they got "authentic" Soviet uniform with variety of pins from driving school  to  swimming  class.  I've done it myself.
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
Does it look genuine? He wants to know what it may be worth in resale, but this is not exactly my area of expertise.
There is no serial number, so its worthless.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »
Not really. They sold "blank" uniforms , whatever pins and labels were on them are from Soviet version of boyscouts  or DOSAAF. Foreigners were too exited to realize that they got "authentic" Soviet uniform with variety of pins from driving school  to  swimming  class.  I've done it myself.

Umm I live 20 km from the russian border lol. They sold everything imaginable. The uniforms had exactly same credentials as seen in regular army / police pictures.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 11:53:06 AM »

Well, he is hoping its worth anything, I'm wondering if I should offer him $10 for it or $20, lol.

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »
Umm I live 20 km from the russian border lol. They sold everything imaginable. The uniforms had exactly same credentials as seen in regular army / police pictures.
Doubt it. Hollywood cant even get it right, every movie about Soviets is hilarious. Lowranking officer with completely wrong uniform credentials playing general, it just never gets old:)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
That's nothing. Hollywierd often gets the US military uniforms wrong too.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown