Author Topic: Ditching in the Water...  (Read 897 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Ditching in the Water...
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
Like FLS said, it's the opposite side of the coin of an aircraft that is pinged up, but otherwise undamaged, crashing due to pilot error unrelated to the fight and awarding the pining pilot essentially a free kill.

Russians had to go out and find the wreckage, or have the wreckage confirmed by ground troops, of the aircraft they shot down to get credit for a kill.

It's just the "Rules" within the parameters of the "Game".

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »
They made claims without such confirmations, as well. They weren't alone, either, in looking for wrecks to confirm.

I agree it's "the rules" and it's a give and a take depending on the situation. IMO it's not all that much a problem. I have lost many a kill that way, but as long as I'm still up I can always get another.  ;)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 05:34:52 PM »
Whatever the case with what the pilot who gets shot down's status, it denies pilots who by all logic and historical precedent should be awarded the kill for totaling an enemy aircraft.

Consider this...a pilot can theoretically ditch his wreck and walk back to the airfield, yes. He can also bail from his stricken plane over his field and be sipping a cup of joe in the O'club five minutes later...why should the pilot who shot down his plane be awarded a kill in the latter case but not the former?

To be perfectly consistent with the argument you guys are making, you'd have to *only* award kills in the game when the enemy pilot is killed or captured. This would would mean not awarding a kill on those who "bail successfully".
The problem is how do you code the difference (or is it possible)?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
That's not the ditch code, IMO. That's the "crash" code. 2 totally different things IMO. Ditch code is fine by me so far, but I'd like to see some slightly more realistic crash impacts (sometimes you see a carcass survive crazy stuff and deny you a kill).

I remember way back in the day (>10 years ago) the "crash code" was even more lenient. Almost to the point where you would survive to get a ditch as long as you hit the ground with 200mph or less :)
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
Man, I have been agreeing with you alot lately.   :cheers:

BnZs, the land ditch represents getting out of your plane and hiking back home to the airfield.

The water ditch represents getting out into a dingy, and being picked up by a rescue boat, going back to your home field.

They're the same thing, as far as representing elements from the real game.

If you mean "he shouldn't sit there floating forever" then I agree. I think there ought to be a time limit on how long they can ditch. That said, not all planes sunk right away. Some remained floating for quite some time.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.