Author Topic: Landing illegitimate vicories schmicories  (Read 1020 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Landing illegitimate vicories schmicories
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
So as usual I'm getting my A handed to be by someone, (he's in a 110 i'm in the kevlar brewster,) I get killed twice before I realize maybe I should try turning or something, and then, barely holding my own, I manage to kill him. Then somewhere down the line I get within 200 of a p51 doing a wingover after zooming out of our field, I follow him back down without firing as he acclerates in and immolates himself in the auto ack.  A while later I land and am greeted with "pembquit lands 3 victories in a ..." Now, I can use all the help I can get but...can someone explain this to me?  This is the first time I ever noticed it saying anything other than "you crashed" etc.  I'm guessing that if I watch someone commit suicide from their six I get the credit? and then, where did that third kill come from?
Pies not kicks.

Offline Imaslipper

• Zinc Member
Re: Landing illegitimate vicories schmicories
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »
when someone crashes by themselves (I do it all the time), I believe the person closest to the "accident" gets the kill. This happens quite a bit and yes it will come up on the chat. Whenever you land 2 or more kills your name along with the airplane and number of victories will show up. Also if you're in a squad.

-Slipper
_____________________________ ________________________
Air Force pilots regards Navy carrier pilots:
"Next time a war is decided by how well you land on a carrier, I'm sure our Navy will clean up. Until then, I'll worry about who spends their training time flying and fighting."

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:26:46 PM »
Did you get pings on anyone else that got away?  If you're still flying, you could get credit for the kill if they crash or someone else finishes them off.  That and the proximity kill (proxy) you got on that P51 in the ack may have been why you landed 3 kills.  Maybe you didn't notice the text buffer when the mystery plane got killed.  When the Mustang bought it in the ack, did the text buffer say "You killed Runstang #2" (your second kill) or "You killed Runstang #3" (your third kill)...
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:14:46 PM »
I beleive you only get credit for proxy kill not the points.
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »
There are a number of ways to get credit for a kill.

1. blow the sucka from the sky. This is when you load enough ammo into, or hit the pilot and the plane goes boom.

2. do critical damage and someone else finishes him off. If you smoke a guys engines and knock an elevator off and he dives away, mean while your stuck fighting his buddy someone else swings in and finishes off the guy by vulching him as he lands, or taking his wing off as he limps home. The kill is awarded to the guy that does the most damage first. This is why a lot of people fly "cannon" planes, a few hits do a LOT of damage. Another thing to remember, once the threshold is hit and the game engine has decided there are enough hits to award the kill nobody else can land hits and steal your kill, so there is no point in following some other guys kill to the ground hoping to fill him full of enough lead.

3. Proxie kills. If you and you buddy dive in on this guy and turns around and goes for the HO on your buddy ( I know this NEVER happens buy go with me here  :P ) They both fire and score hits/collide. You buddies pilot dies, or he bails and towers out. As long as you are the closest to him you get the kill because"somebody" has to and your buddy is technically dead. In the case of "proxies" you WILL find people following them down trying to pump some ammo into them. Doing so takes away the "proxie" tag and will award a kill to the guy that puts just one round into him.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:44:47 PM »
There are a number of ways to get credit for a kill.

You are partially correct.  There are actually only two ways to get a kill:

1> Proxy kill.  If an enemy plane/gv crashes, towers out, or discos (or is killed by auto ack) and if no other friendly plane has hit it with ammo, the nearest friendly plane will get the kill... well to a point.  I don't know how close it has to be but 2k yards seems about right to get a proxy kill.  In this case you'll get 'credit' for the kill, but you won't get any points for it.

2> Put the most lead into a plane.  To make the example easier, we'll assume that two friendly planes using the same exact ammo attack an enemy plane.  The first dives in and hits it with 10 rounds but does no damage to the plane (nothing breaks off).  The second friendly plane dives in and hits it with 5 rounds, ripping its wing off and blowing the plane up.  In this example, the first pilot will get credit for the kill, even though the second pilot is the one who actually destroyed the plane.  In this case you'd get credit AND points for the kill.

This gets confusing for a lot of people.  It is very annoying to bear down on a plane and blow it up, only to be credited with an 'assist' but that's the way it goes sometimes.  It's also important to remember that once a plane is critically damaged (missing wing, on fire, etc) then it stops scoring hits.  Basically, after critical damage happens, if another friendly plane dives in.. even if it were to hit the plane with 100 more rounds, those will not count towards the 'tally' that determines who gets the kill.  Yes, you can continue to do further damage to the plane but it won't help you towards getting credit for the kill.  This is a fairly recent change that was made to stop 'kill-stealing' attempts.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:05:25 AM »
The actual nomenclature in arena settings for a "proxy kill" is ManuverKillRange and the main arena default setting is indeed 6,000 feet, just as Tigger29 estimated.

Offline angels10

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 09:02:16 AM »
  While defending the bish p38 raids yesterday I landed 3 kills without firing a shot .

I also got no points. All proxy kills!

The most proxy kills other than 8 I had in an m3 about a year ago. 

You get your ata boys , and WTG from sqd mates but no points toward your score.

ANGELS10 :angel:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »
 I also got no points. All proxy kills!

You may haven't gotten any perk points, but you did get 3 points for score   :rock
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »
All victories are legitimate, the freebies make up for the times when the 5th guy in on the dogpile shoots you down. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »
what happens in the case of a disco, then ? For example, I am in a set of buffs snd I get discoed, does anyone credit for " killing " me or does it fall under same conditions as mentioned initially in this thread ?
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
If anybody lands a hit on you, and you disappear they get credit (they were the last to engage you in combat, their rounds were the only ones to hit you, therefore they "shot you down" in some way).

Otherwise, the proxy issue is a range-specific thing. It's only inside a certain range. If you never took any hits, and nobody is around, you die 3 times [edit: assuming a bomber formation] but no credit is given. If somebody is close enough, the credit is given to them.

It's not a big deal, really it's not. No points are awarded, just the recognition in the kill buffer.

It's as legitmate as any other kill, as well. There are a number of times when somebody is running from a fight and hits a tree. They were in combat... They hit the ground. They were flown into the ground in panic. Any fighter in WW2 would have reported it for credit.

Or the stall fights that spiral from 20k to the deck, end up in rolling scissors, fighting the stall, and maybe 1 guy, after a VERY hard fought run, stalls out at 50 feed and crashes. Both pilots would consider the survivor the "winner" and that he was victorious in that combat. He fought the enemy to death, despite never landing a shot.

Proxy kills are there for a reason. Just don't bail if you don't want to give them out. It really doesn't come up all that often for me.