Author Topic: shoot downs in AvA  (Read 2127 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: shoot downs in AvA
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »
but how far away are they when you hit them? if you're hitting them at D500, you don't have much energy left in the rounds that are hitting, so they're not doing as much damage as if they wefre only D200/
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »
but how far away are they when you hit them? if you're hitting them at D500, you don't have much energy left in the rounds that are hitting, so they're not doing as much damage as if they wefre only D200/

I try to hit them tween 200 and 400, with most hits scoring at about 400 yds.  It's pretty hard to keep fire on a twisty turny hurri at 200 or less. You end up pulsing bursts into him.
Who is John Galt?

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
i dont shoot til i see the whites of their eyes........oh wait! thats a HO, nevermind! carry on!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »
I try to hit them tween 200 and 400, with most hits scoring at about 400 yds.  It's pretty hard to keep fire on a twisty turny hurri at 200 or less. You end up pulsing bursts into him.

double check yourself in your films. they're very useful in the other arenas....and even moreso here. you may think you're hitting at 400, but it may actually be 600. in the film viewer, the icons are defaulted to on, even though they're off in the arena.

i'm not tryin to be a wise ass.....just tryin to help ya out.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »
i dont shoot til i see the whites of their eyes........oh wait! thats a HO, nevermind! carry on!

unless it's me looking over my shoulder, trying to peek out from behind my headrest.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 01:20:05 PM »

With the weapons of this time period, there's a HUGE difference in destructive power between hits at 200 and hits at 400.  If most of your hits are at 400, all you're doing is scratching the paint.  Trust those of us who fly EW rides a lot.  Even if you only pulse bursts, they do more damage and they all add up.  When you're in that close, it's easier to pick a vulnerable spot and concentrate fire on it, again and again if necessary.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »
double check yourself in your films. they're very useful in the other arenas....and even moreso here. you may think you're hitting at 400, but it may actually be 600. in the film viewer, the icons are defaulted to on, even though they're off in the arena.

i'm not tryin to be a wise ass.....just tryin to help ya out.  :aok

I was taking it as trying to help  :aok 

Also did you see I linked up my TrackIR setup file in one of these treads for you. I think you may find it helpfull with the looking backward, and other issues you may still be having with the Tracker.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
I was taking it as trying to help  :aok 

Also did you see I linked up my TrackIR setup file in one of these treads for you. I think you may find it helpfull with the looking backward, and other issues you may still be having with the Tracker.  :salute

yes, i did see that, and thank you very much sir!!!

you put it in the crazy8s helping cap thread. gonna download it tonight.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
yes, i did see that, and thank you very much sir!!!

you put it in the crazy8s helping cap thread. gonna download it tonight.

Cool. If it helps drop a note back and let me know. Good luck. :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »
The perfect Distance.......

But for real I have my guns on the Hurri set to 400, little far but thats what works for me. and If ya get in close ya just get to shoot at both his wings at the same time.  :devil
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »
But for real I have my guns on the Hurri set to 400, little far but thats what works for me. and If ya get in close ya just get to shoot at both his wings at the same time.  :devil

Hehehe, but it only takes losing one wing to bring him down.  Takes less ammo if all concentrated on one spot.  :aok
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
Folks mention lost of hitting power from 200 to 400. That's true of MGs, but the MG/FFm on the Bf109 are explosive cannon shells. They derive most of their destructive power from high explosives inside the shell. There's much less punching through things.

These guns are better at longer ranges, assuming you land any hits. They are more powerful if they land, but are many times harder to land at longer ranges.

Just an FYI, in case folks were overlooking that.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I took down 3x B-17s in a 109E once (an entire formation) and had almost 30 rounds left over after the fact.

all hits were to inboard engines, i presume? or just bad 17 gunnery :lol
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
Good gunnery on my part, bad on his. I was surprised I was able to. Not engine fires, either, if I recall. I seem to recall a wing fully removed, a pilot kill, and cannot recall the last.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
krusty, i don't believe the mg/ffm was noted for it's range or hitting power...hence the main reason it was replaced by the mg 151/15 and subsequently the mg 151/20...on the other hand, weren't the hurricane mk1's produced with wooden frames and fabric covering the fuselage? if it's modelled that way in ah, that would explain some of the low damage from the mg/ffm shells...it's been documented that the explosive shell wasn't as effective against the early hurricanes as it was against the all metal aircraft.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett