Author Topic: FURBALL  (Read 779 times)

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
FURBALL
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »
Interested it what most of you define as a "FURBALL"

Is it just a group of cons in one area? With no personal boundaries?

Is it a specific mindset? That includes a basic respect for your opponents, ie: not try to stack the deck to heavily in your own favor?

Is it the "cherryfest" at the edge of an enemy base? That lacks any respect or risk?

Is it an "unshorn" berry bag  :)

How do you define FURBALLS?

JUGgler
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:49:00 AM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
Re: FURBALL
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:07 AM »
I don't have cats anymore...but when I did - I would put vasaline on their paws. They would lick it off and it would coat their inners, seeming to prevent fur balls. I never understood cats. They cough up fur balls (which doesn't seem to be too pleasant) but d not cease to lick themselves.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:31 AM »
A primarily plane vs plane based engagement, with little or no focus on attacking ground or sea targets.  Most likely comprised of a broad spectrum of flying styles from turn and burn to BNZ and E fighting.  No exact number of planes required, but certainly more than a handful. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:19:53 AM »
I use a pretty loose definition of furball.  Pretty much any part of the map with a relatively high density of players in the air flying fighter type aircraft is going to result in a furball of some sort.

Like anything else there are good furballs and what I consider to be bad/boring furballs. Sometimes they're white knuckle, knock down drag out fights that require solid ACM and SA.  Other times it's a bunch of planes staring at each other from across the room like awkward kids at a junior high dance.

In the eternal base taker vs. furballer debate one side typically focuses on a specific part of the other camp as the focus of all the is wrong.  For furballers it's traditionally been the horde mindset, NOE, runway when opposition rears it's ugly head.  For the base takers furballers are mindless self serving glory hounds who just pick and then run home to get their names in light.  They are far from the only examples of what actually happens in the arenas. A base capture can be a slugfest that lasts hours and involves all parts of the game till it is finally successful or is repulsed, and a furball can be the place were teamwork and well honed wingman tactics and ACM are trump, leaving you spent and grinning to see that you've finally carried the day.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »
A furball is a continuous fight located between two bases.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:31:24 AM by FLS »

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »
My definitition is a fight with several to numerous planes on both sides, all engaged, without cherry pickers hanging around the fringes of the fight. :)

The kind of fight where you can't stay on one target for more than 2 seconds or somebody will be on your 6, but it doesn't have people BnZing through the fight and extending 3-4k.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
I define a furball as a continuous fight that lasts for many hours (sometimes days) with a high concentration on both enemy and friendly cons at a fairly low alt.  Of course you'll have a few that come from other bases to gain alt and pick, but I like those big, balls to the wall fights below 5k.  As stated before, I think of a furball as strict air-to-air combat--no gvs, no bombers, no intent on taking the base.  In my years of playing Aces High, the best furballs I have ever flown in were those that happened on the small maps (preferably with water) between two bases that were very close together.

#S#

Banshee7
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
A fuball is a large, multi plane engagement most often not closer than a couple miles from a field. They tend to move back and forth ( the good ones at least) between both bases never getting inside that 2 mile range. Should one side push the other inside that range the furball will die in minutes of the  vulch.

Ihave seen the furball that happened over "FT""" when we had those on the maps last for hours with 30-40 planes involved. Other times you can see one happen over a spawn point and have the added fun of bombing GVs, or picking dive bombers as they hit the GVs

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
A furball is a waste of resources conducted by "Furballers", players that do not follow your orders ("ALL ROOKS PILE ON P15 NOW!")

It often can be cured by a few well placed bombs on the FH's

:devil
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
I think Lusche has the right idea!!!
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »
A bit of red dar and a bit of green dar in the space. Eventually the reddies start shooting at the greenies, and the greenies start shooting at the reddies.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »
 :rofl who gives a crap shoot the red ones.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE