Author Topic: p40E vs early war model spits advice needed.  (Read 1724 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: p40E vs early war model spits advice needed.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 01:00:16 PM »
Spit14? If you want to turnfight against a spit8, sure it isnt easy mode. But in the tipical MA engage(pick) and run role, its one of the bests. Climbs like nothing, has one-shot-kill guns, and can chase down anything but a tempest. And still outturns many planes, ponies, jugs, 190s, tiffies, so every plane what can catch it. Isnt it easy-mode?

Sure, but 99% of people in AH try to fly it like a spit16, the other .9% rip it's wings off all the time by trying to fly it fast.

I am unaware of anyone in AH who flies Spit14s as their main plane, besides me.   
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:02:31 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »
Set all your .50's to 420-450 range. Aim for the centerline, and the ammo will ripple on the wings, spitfires wings are VERY VERY vulnerable to .50 cal fire.

You will have a lawn dart to watch hit the ground. ;)
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 04:38:01 AM »
Sure, but 99% of people in AH try to fly it like a spit16, the other .9% rip it's wings off all the time by trying to fly it fast.

I am unaware of anyone in AH who flies Spit14s as their main plane, besides me.   

thats because its perked and worse then the 16 in almost every way for AH combat - other then an excess of perks or sadistic desire to master it, the 14 is inferior. . . unless you pick and run with it - but even then - the 51 is just fine as is the jug and k4. . .

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 04:48:39 AM »
Very true, Ruah. 16 is super easy-mode.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 08:40:11 AM »
A Spit 1 is "Easy mode"?

IIRC, the early war arena has the IX.

But, yeah, the Mk I and XIV are not easy mode.

Like joachim suggested, your best chance in the P-40E is to force an overshoot.  Other than that you're history.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
so pretty much my safest bet would be to make them overshoot, then try to get quick bursts in on them?

but even with that tactic theres slim chance i can win the battle?
 :(

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 11:31:12 AM »
Only if you are a significantly better pilot than your opponent.  There are some amazing P-40 pilots out there, but they are rare.  Expect to be toast unless the Spit pilot is very unskilled.

Do a search about nose-to-nose versus nose-to-tail fights.  In the P-40, you want to keep fights against the Spit nose-to-nose (this does not meaning HO'ing).
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »
You mean the flat scissors? Thats the only way the 109 g-6 can keep up with a spit16, maybe it works with the p-40 too
AoM
City of ice

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
P40 does very well in scissors because it seems to go so slow. Also it takes a lot of damage so short bursts from enemy are unlikely to kill you quickly.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
Only if you are a significantly better pilot than your opponent.  There are some amazing P-40 pilots out there, but they are rare.  Expect to be toast unless the Spit pilot is very unskilled.

Do a search about nose-to-nose versus nose-to-tail fights.  In the P-40, you want to keep fights against the Spit nose-to-nose (this does not meaning HO'ing).

In a P-40 vs. Spitfire fight, you want to keep the fight as fast as possible against the Spitfire and stay out of the medium speed range where the Spitfire will be on the Kittyhawk like white on rice.

Someone mentioned BnZ tactics and that's the best tactic to use if you're in a P-40.  If fighting against a Spitfire Mk I, things get a little easier as the P-40 driver can take advantage of using negative G maneuvering, which the Mk I can't follow without risking stalling out the engine.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »
Very good hint, Ack-Ack, the spit1 cant roll well so cant follow a p40 in a negative G maneuver.  :aok
But i can imagine that only in a defensive situation.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
Very good hint, Ack-Ack, the spit1 cant roll well so cant follow a p40 in a negative G maneuver.  :aok

Yep, but it can be a way to seize the initiative and change the fight from the P-40's perspective of a defensive one into an offensive one.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 07:12:28 AM »

Actually, if you are competent, the neg G dive is simple.   I don't have an issue with diving to follow someone.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »
Actually, if you are competent, the neg G dive is simple.   I don't have an issue with diving to follow someone.

Reading that reminds me of the 303 days.   :rock

Tours 86 - 296