Author Topic: New Terrain in the AVA--guadalcanal  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Terrain in the AVA--guadalcanal
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »
*snip
had 42+ inch monitors but as it sits...we don't...

Yall don't?

HOW THE  :furious ARE YALL CONSTANTLY KILLING ME? *throws tantrum Dicho style by leaning back, grinning, and spitting in a beer can..*  Oooookay.. all better now. :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2011, 06:59:48 PM »
The best answers would be 1. Virtual reality.  :D 2. Large monitors combined with trackIR and zoom...my experiments with mouse pan show this could work quite well. 3. An icon that is easy to read but hard to spot. Say one that shifted chameolon-like to fit the background.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
 :bolt:

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
got one in mind? *hand twitches towards photoshop button :D

as long as i know you're keeping both hands on the computer.....and they're not the "normal" betty paige pictures that have been shown on these boards..... :noid :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »
as long as i know you're keeping both hands on the computer.....and they're not the "normal" betty paige pictures that have been shown on these boards..... :noid :devil

Klaw?  :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
if you want to know what i'm mocking...it's the fact that you're equating what you have seen out the window of an airplane leisure flying at maybe 200 mph with combat flying as a pilot at 300+ mph...everyone in this discussion has already conceded that the game isn't rendering distant objects in the same level of detail that we would see in real life...there might be some visibility improvement if we all had 42+ inch monitors but as it sits...we don't...

so htc's answer to the lack of detail rendering on distant objects is to paste a big red neon sign around the distant object that first appears at 18,000 feet in the distance and provides more information than the average human can determine at that distance...and that is somehow better than turning off the neon sign and learning some little tricks to compensate for the lack of visual acuity? ok...if you say so. if that's your bag, cool...have at it and enjoy yourself.

i'll stick with the neon sign turned off and using the few little tricks i've found to keep my eyes on the bad guys...the few people who sneak up on me, they deserve to get credit for the kill.

here's one of those tricks.......

these shots are both the same. one is zoomed in a little. in the film viewer, it the icon said it was D200. look to the right, and it showed this con at D145.
 so now i know, that if the wingspan looks to be approx. the size of the outer ring.......buzz saw range. i think the inner ring i D400 or so.....

bnz....have you been to the AvA's website yet? if not, look in the sig line below my post. it's right by the pic of the p-38...check it out. dawger did a very informative write up in the help section.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »
Klaw?  :devil
can i take the 5th?  :noid :devil

it's a crying shame he was made to destroy so much of his work........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
can i take the 5th?  :noid :devil

it's a crying shame he was made to destroy so much of his work........

www.eoliva.com

If I could afford a print of her "Crime and Punishment" featuring Bettie...well, I might never leave the room in which it was displayed.  :noid

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »
The best answers would be 1. Virtual reality.  :D 2. Large monitors combined with trackIR and zoom...my experiments with mouse pan show this could work quite well. 3. An icon that is easy to read but hard to spot. Say one that shifted chameolon-like to fit the background.
i think #3 would be an easy (easier than coding full 3d virtual reality) thing for htc to do...would be very interesting to see how that would affect game play in the main arenas.

full 3d high def vr would be nice...

for option 2...  :lol ...most of us working stiffs can't handle the cost but...i've noticed the snap views with my hat switch have gotten me shot down more than my stupid flying so i'm looking into a face tracking program that someone suggested in the hardware/software forum...after what cap1 and some other people have gone through with track ir...no thanks, i dont have the money or the patience.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »
www.eoliva.com

If I could afford a print of her "Crime and Punishment" featuring Bettie...well, I might never leave the room in which it was displayed.  :noid

luink won't load for me......... :cry :cry :cry
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
luink won't load for me......... :cry :cry :cry

That's because I typed the bloody URL wrong.

http://www.eolivia.com/Scripts/default.asp

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »
i'm gonna have to make a note to get a drool guard for my keyboard..........

since she came up.....has any of you guys seen the notorious bettie page? the movie?

dam i enjoyed that........i forget who played her, but she looked eerily like her............
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:42:44 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2011, 03:26:53 AM »
well, as I mentioned earlier...... I like the AvsA for the historical or close to historical plane match ups...... and hopefully able to fly with friends I have flown with for the past 16+ years......

I can live with the no icons, since that is what it is going to be until the next change, unless one never comes....... who knows we'll see I guess...

but I liked the AvsA the way it was before the no icons, but that was before people started leaving WB3 or FA and came joining AH and wanting change because they thought it was a Ghost Town......( and before my RL stepped in the way to where I was unable to fly as much as I would of liked....... )

about the only downfall I have experienced with "no icons" is it is extremely hard to deal with 3 or more vs 1...... it is just a little bit harder to deal with 2 vs 1.... but most times 2 vs 1 is perfectly ok..... oh and be sure that you are not mistaking a shadow for your opponent  :aok  :D

I still experience the same lull of no one in there and having to wait for people to show up and sometimes it doesn't happen sometimes it does.... when one is flying in the AvsA before 6 or 7 pm EST or after 1 or 2 AM EST......they might not see anyone else while they are logged on, or might have 1 or 2 drop in and stay a few minutes , a few flights.....but hardly ever get to 4 or 5 people outside of the 5 PM to 2 AM EST times.....

If it ever gets to where I don't like flying some where, I just go somewhere else...... from EWA , MWA, LWA, AvA, DA, SEA etc..... if I can not find something to hold my interest or be fun to me at that time, then I log off...... it is as simple as that  for everyone......

one has to use what is available to them....... but I don't think one should have to "tweak their settings to view the enemy" or "use tricks" to be able to play in any arena...

why should one have to lower their resolution from ssy 1600 x 1200 to say 1024 x 768 , simply because it is the only way to see what might be a 1 pixel dot to what is a 6 pixel enemy <--- exaggerated example.... I mean isn't the game meant to be played with the ability of using higher resolution without having to dumb down your settings to be able to play the game...... that is what upsets me really... when I am suggested to lower my settings to stuff we used 10 years ago so it will make it easier for me to play...... I mean really now????

but like I said, if it ever gets to where I don't like flying some where, I just go somewhere else...... from EWA , MWA, LWA, AvA, DA, SEA etc..... if I can not find fun for me at the time, then I log off...... so simple ......

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2011, 06:55:03 AM »
i'm gonna have to make a note to get a drool guard for my keyboard..........

since she came up.....has any of you guys seen the notorious bettie page? the movie?

dam i enjoyed that........i forget who played her, but she looked eerily like her............
Gretchen Mol

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2011, 07:46:34 AM »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"