Author Topic: New Terrain in the AVA--guadalcanal  (Read 4188 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Terrain in the AVA--guadalcanal
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »
i thought ranger put jap friendly trees on that map but...looks as if they don't like anyone...  :lol
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »
My first trip in was to download the terrain and check it out. Jolly22 asked me to join him and gave me the brief rundown on comms and all.  WOW  :O  The first engagement took me by surprise!!  In a way, I really liked it and in another way, it was totally unexpected!  Super folks to fly with and against. Again, USRanger hit the mark on the terrain.  (the map coloring kinda ...well,  isn't that important in the scheme of things)

I will certainly try and get the Cutthroats Mercenary Company to jump in some time.

:rock

:salute

HARR!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
I'm seriously thinking that adding enemy icons in this arena would destroy what's been happening to this point, and truly hope they're not turned on. i know the lack of them keeps some of my squadies from coming in a lot, and they have their reasons.......but the icons off just "feels" different.

the couple of nights i spent in ta(and i'll be going back there too for more help with the trackir) felt "wrong" with icons.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2011, 04:30:53 PM »
gotta make another trip in tonight k-ken...should be a good number of people in there...and as always it will be unpredictable  :x
jarhed  

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2011, 04:33:17 PM »
gotta make another trip in tonight k-ken...should be a good number of people in there...and as always it will be unpredictable  :x
well, if it's unpredictable, then in reality, it is predictable, because we know it's gonna be unpredictable.....thus we're predicting that it's unpredictable.  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »
well, if it's unpredictable, then in reality, it is predictable, because we know it's gonna be unpredictable.....thus we're predicting that it's unpredictable.  :noid

that's just your prediction.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »
that's just your prediction.

i predicted someone was gonna say that.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
predictably unpredictable?  :headscratch:  is that your final prediction or are you predicting that there will be something that isn't predictable?
jarhed  

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »
predictably unpredictable?  :headscratch:  is that your final prediction or are you predicting that there will be something that isn't predictable?

in theory, predicting the unpredictable isn't possible. this is predictable in itself. predict unpredictable stuff, and people don't know what to expect, and sometimes react by getting in a huff. this is predictable.
 so the unpredictable nature of the game creates a lot of predictable things, but the only thing that is predictable, is that it is unpredictable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »
TC summed it up pretty well.  Icons don't come to mind at all after you have settled into the camp that you are there to have fun.  Most of us get  :ahand but end up laughing at the incredibly silly things that we have done to get us there.  I am of a similar mind set as TC, I don't think that it is realistic.  Yet, I think that it IS more fun. 

I think that we will soon become known as "Shadow Chasers" instead of AvAers.  It is the most ridiculous feeling that you get when you have flown half a sector on the deck shooting the dark figure in front of you to discover it was your own shadow.  Or even worse, the shadow of an enemy on your 6.

Check your ego at the door, be respectful of others there for entertainment and get ready to just try something new and take a look at the work or art that USRanger and HTC (Skuzzy) have done to bring a new terrain to the servers, that is all that I can and will ask of anyone.

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2011, 09:13:09 PM »
Tonight was a blast. I counted over 30 pile its at one time. Even scored a couple "real kills" myself.
Now I was thunkin...maybe Midway would be kewl... Two carrier task forces battling it out

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
TC summed it up pretty well.  Icons don't come to mind at all after you have settled into the camp that you are there to have fun.  Most of us get  :ahand but end up laughing at the incredibly silly things that we have done to get us there.  I am of a similar mind set as TC, I don't think that it is realistic.  Yet, I think that it IS more fun. 

I think that we will soon become known as "Shadow Chasers" instead of AvAers.  It is the most ridiculous feeling that you get when you have flown half a sector on the deck shooting the dark figure in front of you to discover it was your own shadow.  Or even worse, the shadow of an enemy on your 6.

Check your ego at the door, be respectful of others there for entertainment and get ready to just try something new and take a look at the work or art that USRanger and HTC (Skuzzy) have done to bring a new terrain to the servers, that is all that I can and will ask of anyone.

shadow chasers...sounds like a good squad name.  :devil :uhoh
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2011, 05:56:39 AM »
shadow chasers...sounds like a good squad name.  :devil :uhoh

"Me and my shadow.." could be the theme song

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13:47 AM »
Had an absolute blast in AVA last night. This map rocks. My personal favorite part is the way Ranger Spaced the Trees out so when you're on the deck you can fly below the tree line in all the "tree channels".  Great fun!

Also as a long time LW MA P-39 pilot, It's an amazing change of fortune to be in P-39 and have it be the fasted, best climbing, best armed plane in the Arena. Can't turn with the Zekes for long but you can dive away from them, out run, out climb, and out gun them. The Zeke guns are actually pretty leathal for a while, but the cannon ammo load runs out quick. The P-39 has a 20mm, 2x.50 cals, and 4x.30 cals. It's a hail of bullets. It's also such a beatifully done plane model that it's good to see it zooming around the sky.

Be back tonight. What out Lethrnek!

:salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »
I think TC is correct in that this setting truly isn't more realistic. The monitor just can't replicate human eyesight.

There are a couple of things that seem more realistic about it.

1. You have to use the size of the plane in relation to the gunsite to judge distance.

2. Losing sight of a bandit. Apparently at a distance some skins don't show, so basically all zekes are silver at about 1000 or more but at combat ranges is where it get's interesting.
It's much easier to see a silver zeke or a light blue wildcat against the green and brown ground than it is a green and brown P-39.

I imagine this was also an issue in RL

Personally, I think it "feels" more realistic or perhaps the word should be "immersive."

If we had the ability for icons to show at a certain distance and then disappear closer up, that might actually be more realistic than what we do now, but it works the opposite way.

I wasn't around in the old CT days but when I first started flying in AvA it certainly was more of a "ghost town" than it is now.

For about a year now since we turned off enemy icons the arena has been more populated.

It's actually a viable alternative to fly on several nights a week now.

This is probably not due entirely to the no enemy icons setting, but that is one more thing that clearly sets the arena apart from others.