Author Topic: Worst A/C of ww2  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
Re: Worst A/C of ww2
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2011, 10:37:20 PM »
Haven't seen the name Shiva in a while.  Wouldn't be an old Airwarrior guy would ya?
From back when it was still exclusively on GEnie, yes. I was away for a while after I discovered that I couldn't get XP64 drivers for my rig, but that they would be released 'soon'... and 'soon' never came.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2011, 12:28:11 AM »
Hmmm.  Flew with a guy named Shiva but it was in the AOL days
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2011, 05:40:07 AM »
Bob Doe was lucky he was up against Bf110s for his first encounter. Others, were not so lucky. Luck has a lot to do with it, like how Hartmann despite his own potentially fatal mistakes in his first combat survived, learned the lesson and went on to become the most successful fighter pilot of all time.
The first Bf110 he got was a confidence builder for Bob Doe as he realized the Spitfire was really very good.  The second was pure luck he hadn't died as after being dumbfounded that he'd shot the first down another almost got him.  He pulled into a climbing turn just in time, and through sheer luck as he had no idea the Bf110 was there.  He said he heard the thud-thud-thud of its 20mm cannons as it passed.  He rolled back in and bagged that one too.

After landing he gave a lot of thought to what had happened, why it had happened and what to do to make surviving not be based on luck.  He came to the conclusion that the tight formations they were being told to keep, with everybody but the leader, focused on maintaining position were a bad thing and the key to surviving and winning was to keep a constant lookout so as to have as good an idea of what was happening around you as possible.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »
He came to the conclusion that the tight formations they were being told to keep, with everybody but the leader, focused on maintaining position were a bad thing and the key to surviving and winning was to keep a constant lookout so as to have as good an idea of what was happening around you as possible.

That's got to be the old "Vic", soon to be supplanted by the "4 pairs are better than 1" finger four.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2011, 09:19:56 AM »
G.55
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
G.55
Why?  I know wasnt the best at low altitudes, but i dont think it was the worst.
AoM
City of ice

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »
That's got to be the old "Vic", soon to be supplanted by the "4 pairs are better than 1" finger four.

For sure the vic formation killed a lot of young pilots before the old men got a little wiser. It was a classic case of adopting the tactics of the enemy, for they are proven to be more effective.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »
Hmmm.  Flew with a guy named Shiva but it was in the AOL days
I played SVGA Air Warrior when it was on GEnie, then on the Net when they opened it up to telnet connections to the server, then AW4W, then moved through the sims that were developed by the people who weren't satisfied with Kesmai's glacial update speed -- Confirmed Kill, then Warbirds, then AH, following the rest of the Damned.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2011, 12:59:56 AM »
This thread is like the energizer bunny..... Too much for me :bolt:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,