Author Topic: "Kelly's Heros"  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
Re: "Kelly's Heros"
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 07:48:34 PM »
Anyone got any recommendations?  I'm sick and laying low, so I've been watching a lot of movies! :)

If you have NetFlix try "Theirs Is the Glory", "Aces High" , "American Experience: Robert E. Lee", "Gallipoli", "National Geographic: The Battle for Midway" and not a war movie but one of my favorites "Harvey".

For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline donna43

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »

Yep, always liked the song. Burning Bridges  The Mike Curb Congregation
DrPhloxx

Age is strictly a case of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Offline donna43

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
Hey AWwrgwy, how did you copy the little avatar clip "That's Paint!" Would like to use it for avatar for WoT Forums. :aok
DrPhloxx

Age is strictly a case of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2011, 01:09:49 AM »
Hey AWwrgwy, how did you copy the little avatar clip "That's Paint!" Would like to use it for avatar for WoT Forums. :aok

I made it.

:devil

Use it. But host it yourself.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
Just watched Patton and Kelly's Heroes the other day.

Patton's story is pretty cool, using him as a diversion was pretty clever.

Anyone got any recommendations?  I'm sick and laying low, so I've been watching a lot of movies! :)

The Bridge on the River Kwai
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »

"Dark Blue World", a Czech movie, made in 2001.   :aok

Just watched Patton and Kelly's Heroes the other day.

Patton's story is pretty cool, using him as a diversion was pretty clever.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 02:51:09 PM »
Check out the movie "Twelve O'clock High" with Gregory Peck. It was made in 1949 and it's about a B-17 bomber unit suffering from low morale. It's Gregory Pecks's job to whip them into shape. Many B-17's in the movie as well as 109's and 190's. They use a lot of actual combat footage in the movie. I watched it in high definition and Gregory peck's nose hair looked like BX cables.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 07:56:07 PM »
Check out the movie "Twelve O'clock High" with Gregory Peck. It was made in 1949 and it's about a B-17 bomber unit suffering from low morale. It's Gregory Pecks's job to whip them into shape. Many B-17's in the movie as well as 109's and 190's. They use a lot of actual combat footage in the movie. I watched it in high definition and Gregory peck's nose hair looked like BX cables.
Watching it right now on Neflix Roku.  :old:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »
Check out the movie "Twelve O'clock High" with Gregory Peck.

While I'm neutral about the film, I've read the book once a year since...um...junior high school.  Forty-five years or so.  Sy Bartlett and Beirne Lay, the authors, knew what they were talking about, they were there.  The 918th BG is a composite of the real-world 306th (divide 918 by 3) and 100th BGs.  Savage is a combination of Frank Armstrong and Fred Castle.  With the exception of the romance (and who knows about that?), every incident in the book actually occurred - not always to the same people or at the same times.

- oldman

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 12:00:47 AM »
While I'm neutral about the film, I've read the book once a year since...um...junior high school.  Forty-five years or so.  Sy Bartlett and Beirne Lay, the authors, knew what they were talking about, they were there.  The 918th BG is a composite of the real-world 306th (divide 918 by 3) and 100th BGs.  Savage is a combination of Frank Armstrong and Fred Castle.  With the exception of the romance (and who knows about that?), every incident in the book actually occurred - not always to the same people or at the same times.

- oldman

Would you agree that the film in some ways totally changed the story from the book, in regards to Savage and other characters?  Having read the book many times I have a hard time enjoying the movie for that reason.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »
Would you agree that the film in some ways totally changed the story from the book, in regards to Savage and other characters?  Having read the book many times I have a hard time enjoying the movie for that reason.

Yikes!  I think I've only seen the film twice, and one of those times was very long ago.  My recollection is that you're right, that Davenport's role in particular is significantly changed.  I remember thinking at the time that the story was quite a bit different but may have been deliberately altered by Lay (who I think wrote the screenplay) to come across better on film, where you can't typically experience the characters' thoughts.

- oldman

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »
Netflix "restrepo"  decent flick.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »

We're looking for it now. Do you know if it's Blue or red (Watch instantly or mail)?  :old:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 11:52:57 PM »
I believe the Tigers in SPR were mocked up on a British tank but it's possible it was also done on T34/85s.  The road wheels are the giveaway in Kelly's Hero's.  If you've ever built a model of a T-34 you'd spot it right away.
Like the 'Sherman vs. Tiger' episode of 'Greatest Military Clashes' -- I remember seeing a commercial for it and realizing what a military history geek I was for recognizing which tank they'd mocked-up into a Tiger (look at 6:05 in the video, where you get the first good look at the suspension; as in Kelly's Heroes, the road wheels give it away).

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 12:32:52 AM »

I walked into the living room when my parents were about halfway
through it.
I stood there, watched a minute of it.. sat down and watched the rest.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok