Author Topic: A noobs report: WW1 Arena  (Read 4326 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: A noobs report: WW1 Arena
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 10:41:44 PM »
When I do get into the WWI arena I fly the Camel almost exclusively and while not great, I've done ok in it at times.  I've found that if you turn on the over-rev limiter you can dive at almost any angle you want (within reason) without structural failure. 

Of course I hardly get to play in the LWMA's anymore much less WWI.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
I fly the camel and I tend to do very well in it.

I like not having BNZ noobs in the arena. BNZ and picking are almost one in the same.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 11:17:40 PM »
BNZ and picking are almost one in the same.

:rofl NOOB
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 05:41:58 AM »
well like it or not standard E fighting and BnZ is what became the accepted tactics that was employed in most air battles in ww2 and toward the latter half of ww1.

whats more without BnZ e fighting you see a common theme in the ww1 arena concerning fuel loadouts.

they all buzz around at 25% fuel for the massive maneuverability advantage of being 150 lbs+ lighter in a paper airplane. I despise Mustwin 25%fueltards.

they irk me because I have for the past 11 years Ive flown this game always liked to take 100% fuel.
I've slimmed down to 75% and sometimes 50% but from someone who likes to loiter and hunt without having to rtb after a few minutes for fuel it puts you at a more extreme disadvantage in this planeset than it does in the ww2 planeset which is unfortunate. but then when you splatter a 25% fueltards melon its all the more satisfying.

And its fun when they are desperate to rtb on fumes and you will not let them leave.  :devil

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:44:54 AM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
SCTusk if you compare glide ratios with the prop stopped vs windmilling you'll see a difference in drag.

Sounds promising, how do you stop the prop windmilling?  :headscratch:
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »
The hard way is to zoom climb when it's windmilling. The easy way is to air start on the TA map and leave the engine off.

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:55 AM »
they all buzz around at 25% fuel for the massive maneuverability advantage of being 150 lbs+ lighter in a paper airplane. I despise Mustwin 25%fueltards.

they irk me because I have for the past 11 years Ive flown this game always liked to take 100% fuel.
I've slimmed down to 75% and sometimes 50% but from someone who likes to loiter and hunt without having to rtb after a few minutes for fuel it puts you at a more extreme disadvantage in this planeset than it does in the ww2 planeset which is unfortunate. but then when you splatter a 25% fueltards melon its all the more satisfying.

And its fun when they are desperate to rtb on fumes and you will not let them leave.  :devil

Try mid & early war. Most of the chest thumpers in there have no intention of getting back to base. They also dump half the ammo load before rolling even.

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 04:44:04 PM »
well like it or not standard E fighting and BnZ is what became the accepted tactics that was employed in most air battles in ww2 and toward the latter half of ww1.

whats more without BnZ e fighting you see a common theme in the ww1 arena concerning fuel loadouts.

25% in a  d7 will just about get you airborne.

some good fights with you last weekend Fester it wont be long before you become a masochist. :salute

aka Shotdown
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
:rofl NOOB
If you would like to believe so then go ahead  :salute

It's good to know I'm not alone. I don't see the point in flying for 10 minutes then running away. The only time I ever up 25% is if I'm in the MA and we're capped and I wanna break it for chits and giggles.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
The hard way is to zoom climb when it's windmilling. The easy way is to air start on the TA map and leave the engine off.

I'm not able to stop the windmilling with a zoom climb, and I'm not sure what you mean by air starting on the TA map. However I'll take your word for it, but I still think that the real deal ragwings would have had so much drag that you could pretty much near vertical dive for ever (engine off, prop windmilling) without these structural failures, aircraft with known structural issues aside (i.e. the Dr1  :rofl) Anyone have data on Vne and/or terminal velocity of these aircraft?
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 07:51:21 AM »
Load the TA map for offline or just go to the Training Arena. Go to the bomber training area, base A22 for example,  and you'll find that some runway directions like NE and SW give you an air start.

For the zoom climb method you need a minimum speed which is below stall speed to stop the prop. I forget the exact number but it makes you appreciate the air start.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 07:59:12 AM »
 In my limited WWI experience, 1 on 1 the DVII is a much more dangerous plane than the DrI. The DVII can actualy stall fight and perform a rolling scissor not that far off in feeling from an early 109. The DrI and the Camel both suffer horribly in a co-alt merge if the DVII pilot uses his speed to start a vertical rolling type fight. The F2B is also a good contender in vertical rolling fights, far better than either the Camel or DrI.

Lengro and myself, who have dueled each other easily 5,000 times since we first met in AH, did alot of 1 on 1 testing when the WWI planes were released. While it was possible for any plane to  win in any combination of the four, the D7 had a major advantage verticaly if the planes are flown by equal pilots.

DVII vs DVII fights were the closest to anything we do 1 on 1 with the much more advance WWII planeset.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 08:35:51 AM »
You just have to be sure that you are using the DR1's gyroscopic precession against the DR1 so that it turns away from you instead of towards you.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »
Try mid & early war. They also dump half the ammo load before rolling even.
who is this "they" that you are referring to?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »
The top dive speed I can get out of our WWI planes without falling apart are as follow. All were tested with a quarter of fuel

1. DR.1  143mph

2. D.VII  181mph

3. F-1 camel 161mph

4.F.2B 165mph.

All of them have a lot of drag and slow back down to about 120 pretty fast then start to fall off from that. The D.VII seemed to do the best in a high alt controlled dive and I could keep in at about 170mph. The wings came off the F.2B and the D.VII the easiest if you pull up to fast. maybe someone who fly these planes more than I do can get better results.