Author Topic: Well, there's B-29 on the front page...  (Read 5722 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Well, there's B-29 on the front page...
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »
^ what he said
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
^ what he said

Damn straight. I don't think more jets is what the game needs, but I've often thought it would be nice to have a balance of jet power in between the Axis and Allies. Even IF the Meteor didn't really have anything to do the whole war...

EDIT Correction: I meant that it never really had the opportunity to perform combat missions over enemy territory, if my memory and hasty Wiki checks are correct...  :uhoh
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:25:39 PM by GNucks »

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2011, 03:46:44 PM »
3,943 B-29s (B-29s, B-29A, B-29B) were built during World War II.

Well at least 1 book begs to differ. I understand books can be wrong (as I've presented some info on P-40s in the past quoted verbatim that was proven quite wrong with more accurate details, some years back), but a quick spot-check on the Internet seemed to support it at the time. Perhaps it was going by differing criteria (counting only those in combat? I don't know). It seemed to suggest (from memory) between 2500 and 3000 total.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »

:bolt:
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
262 vs meteor has to be the best fighter combat that never took place, a true clash of the Titans. I'd really like to find out what would have happened :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
Which Meteor? Mk.III owns a 262 in almost every way from climb to turn radius to overall handling to gun ballistics to ability to kill things in general...

Mk.I is another question, but this really isn't about that.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »
Well at least 1 book begs to differ. I understand books can be wrong (as I've presented some info on P-40s in the past quoted verbatim that was proven quite wrong with more accurate details, some years back), but a quick spot-check on the Internet seemed to support it at the time. Perhaps it was going by differing criteria (counting only those in combat? I don't know). It seemed to suggest (from memory) between 2500 and 3000 total.

Your source might have also been referencing only the original production run of B-29s before production started on the B-29A/Bs.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »
Possible but it suggested "all" -- again as noted it seems wrong now.

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
in all honesty i hate the B29 but there is no stopping the trolls now  :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »
in all honesty i hate the B29 but there is no stopping the trolls now  :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead
The B29 is many things: A fascinating piece of history.  An engineering behemoth in its day.  Both beautiful and frightening in its capabilities, complexities, and shortfalls.  A true giant of an airplane in so many ways.  This game/combat simulation could never be truly complete without it.

B29 History Trivia: The famous American actor Charles Bronson (Once Upon a Time in the West, The Magnificent Seven, The Dirty Dozen, The Great Escape, Mr. Majestyk, The Mechanic, and the Death Wish series of films) was a tail gunner on B29s serving with the 39th Bombardment Group out of Guam during WW2 and completed 25 combat missions against Japan.  He was awarded the Purple Heart for wounds suffered in combat.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline chris3

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2011, 01:45:04 AM »
moin

i do not understand why so many people are complainig about the B-29.
i gues it is a wonderful bird.
of corse its dadly but it will be perked, so its no problem. we will see it alot during the first weeks, but than its comes to normal.

this bird can kill alot but because its perked it will be chased by the most, so every b-29 pilot need to think about what he will do and how he will fly.
a well flown b29 mission will be hard to kill but if it is well flown i can life with that, of course a well flown interceptor mission will get the b29, if its not well planed, not.

i cant wait to fly this bird in a big b-29 mission deep into enemy teritory and i cant wait to intercept this bird with my squadys and because oft that i gues the b29 will be no problem for the blance in the MA.

cu chris3

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2011, 02:47:03 AM »
Which Meteor? Mk.III owns a 262 in almost every way from climb to turn radius to overall handling to gun ballistics to ability to kill things in general...

You could ask which 262 or which He experimental or.. Germany was several years ahead in jet technology with only bombing stopping them from advancing.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2011, 03:44:52 AM »

Hmmmm.

Looking into the archives, I keep finding descriptions of the Me262 as being light and responsive to control inputs, with the main problem being compensating for the speed of the engagement.  In fact, a few pilots learned to dogfight the 262 quite well, and killed their share of fighters.  Its' control authority was precise, and proved to be a stable platform.

In contrast,

The pilots appreciated the additional power provided by the Meteor III relative to the Meteor I, as well as the improved view with the new canopy. However, the ailerons had been deliberately wired to be "heavy" to prevent aerobatic maneuvers from overstressing the wings, and pilots complained that flying the aircraft could be very tiring; that hadn't been a problem with the Meteor I, since it hadn't been cleared for aerobatic maneuvers. Pilots also complained that the machine tended to "snake" at high speed, limiting its accuracy as a gun platform, and it tended to become uncontrollable in a dive due to compressibility buffeting. However, the aircraft was basically liked. A flight combat exercise against the excellent Hawker Tempest V piston fighter concluded:

BEGIN QUOTE:

The Meteor III is superior to the Tempest V in almost all departments. If it were not for the heaviness of its ailerons and the consequent poor maneuverability in the rolling plane, and the adverse effect of snaking on it as a gun platform, it would be a comparable all-round fighter with greatly increased performance.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2011, 04:15:17 AM »
thats my understanding - heavy controls, yaw instability, slow roll and engines which take forever to spool up and then surge at full power. I suspect the meteor could be a bit of a handful in a dogfight (a bit like the previous modelled mossie perhaps?)
71 (Eagle) Squadron