Author Topic: Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station  (Read 9703 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »
Can you post a reliable source?
In case AKAK gets busy or something and can't reply for a while - I remember him saying over at FW that the 20 was removed because its ballistics made aiming it and .50s together too difficult.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
No, I got his point. he's reading way too much into it.

The reason it says "fully armed and operational" is part of the quote. What about Battlestation? He doesn't dig into that. He didn't dig into deeper meanings for the words "power" or "witness" -- he might as well infer from those that it's got a nuclear bomb onboard and carries 5 different cameras to record the blast...

Only... It's a quote. So that would be silly.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2011, 10:28:22 AM »
In case AKAK gets busy or something and can't reply for a while - I remember him saying over at FW that the 20 was removed because its ballistics made aiming it and .50s together too difficult.
Sounds reasonable enough.  I had read that design of ammo feed system presented persistent problems with reliability.  Also, at combat ranges of 1000 yards and less I am curious how the ballistics could be so screwed up as to make the 20mm the one undesirable gun.  I would rather have the 20mm than two 50s.

I have a few emails out to some Boeing types involved in restoring Doc, figured I might get some juicy tidbits from one of the old volunteers over there.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »
A quick vid that Waffle put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuCmC3gMBLc

Well I hope he was carpet bombing tanks down there.  All in all... I think the B-29 superfartress is going to be a detriment to the game.  But what the heck do I know? :airplane:

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »
I think the B-29 superfartress is going to be a detriment to the game.  But what the heck do I know? :airplane:

All the Best...

Jay
Its a valid POV Jay.  Another way to look at it is this: Its another target to shoot at and be challenged by.
From my perspective I sometimes get tired of "the game" and like things that make it possible to recreate air to air combat virtually. 
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »
I don't think it will be the death of the game.  Sure when it comes out a bunch of guys are going to give it a run for a while, then some of the better fighter guys will figure out it's Achilles heel and share it, tactics will evolve both sides, and the community at large which has the collective attention span of a ferret on speed will go back to doing what they do every day and sniping at each other.  I'll probably play with it a bit offline but I'm not normally a bomber guy then go back to being slapped around in AVA. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2011, 11:36:52 AM »
The only way it'd be death of the game is if HTC somehow missed some game killing feature about the B-29.  Considering this is something like the 150th plane they add to the game, that's not so likely.

Yeager's got it right.  At worst this is one more new thing for players to adapt to (and at the very worst HTC will have to play around with perks points).  Adaptation = stronger/better players.  Learning to tame this new beast is one more challenge.
And it also means we just got one of the most expensive possible additions to the planeset out of the way, dev resource-wise.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »
I guess I see no material difference between a formation of B-29s flying at high altitude, and a B-24 or Lanc or B17 formation flying at high altitude.  It will get a, 'Oh, that dar dot is 3 dots ridiculously high above my plane.  Hmp.' reaction and I'll go back to doing whatever it was I was doing.  Either that, or if I'm in the mood to be up there with them, it's just another airplane to shoot at, it doesn't have magical powers.

Considering it's going to be perked heavily, I expect its use will peter out after the newness wears off.  By the look of the demo video it's not going to have a LCG, so I just don't think it's going to be the death of the game.  It carries more ord for people to hit more town centers, whoopty do.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2011, 11:46:54 AM »
, and the community at large which has the collective attention span of a ferret on speed will go back to doing what they do every day and sniping at each other. 

Very good point.

Remember when the P-47M was introduced. Suddenly there was not only a staggering number of them everywhere, but they were high. For some time, the combat altitudes on the MA significantly increased (an avid alt monkey myself I was surprised how often I find myself coalt with or even *gasp* lower than my enemies). Along that came a very high K/D. It seemed like the M was going to be the dominant fighter of the LWMA.

And then? Everything went back to normal. Not because people hadn't had success with that new style, but obviously because they got kinda bored with climbing so high. The altitudes went down again and so did the P-47M's K/D and finally they went back to other planes better suited to the old routine.

First, there may be a huge number of B-29's. But in the long run how many people will keep using them "smart", protecting their perks by climbing to very high altitudes? Who will continue to spend 30 - 45 minutes to get to altitude and over their target? One part will simply get bored, the other will learn that there are much quicker, cheaper and more efficient ways to kill hangars and grab a field

Of course, I do not know how it will end up exactly. So far, we are assuming lot of things, and a lot will depend up not only in the actual performance but also on the size of the associated perk tag.

I for one am very curious and exited to see what kind of changes in gameplay will happen  :x
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
I think on the P-47M folks realized it was only a few mph faster than the P-47N

(*cough*which-is-what-I-told-them-all-along*cough*)

I also think they fly more timid like that becacuse of the unhistorical ammo loadouts. Nearly twice the ammo leads to nearly twice the loitering. They want to rack up more kills so they won't commit to the fight at hand, they want to keep their exits open. Now if they flew with 267 rpg and 6 guns you would probably find them going in and mixing it up while the ammo lasted a lot more. They might not have enough ammo for more than a couple kills so they'll go in and try harder to get the kills instead of RTBing empty with nothing to show for it. I think it's the psychological impact that helps influence how the plane is flown.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »
I don't think it will be the death of the game.  Sure when it comes out a bunch of guys are going to give it a run for a while, then some of the better fighter guys will figure out it's Achilles heel and share it, tactics will evolve both sides, and the community at large which has the collective attention span of a ferret on speed will go back to doing what they do every day and sniping at each other.  I'll probably play with it a bit offline but I'm not normally a bomber guy then go back to being slapped around in AVA. 

I don't seriously think that it will be the "Death of the Game". but I do think that it will be a detriment to gameplay, as we really don't have much to defend against it with the fuel-burn multiplyer in place currently.  Only a P-47 with 3 drop tanks or a TA-152 with drop tanks could get near them.

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »

But in the long run how many people will keep using them "smart", protecting their perks by climbing to very high altitudes? Who will continue to spend 30 - 45 minutes to get to altitude and over their target? One part will simply get bored, the other will learn that there are much quicker, cheaper and more efficient ways to kill hangars and grab a field

ME!   :D
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »
ME!   :D

me too... but we are a minority  :P
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
me too... but we are a minority  :P
ME :)

I flew 4 hours and 52 minutes in some lancs once....boy that was a long ride...

plus it's not like it's going to ACTUALLY be a game killer. The only people really upset about the 29 are
1) those who don't have the perks
2) those who don't have the patience to go up to them
3) those who don't like the idea of a single set of buffs being high enough to shut down their base without them upping a 262/163
4) people who think it's possible to shoot down my bombers anyway.  :rolleyes:

I can get just as high and do just as much to a single airfield with a set of B17's.
 :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :|
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:17:36 PM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech