Author Topic: Mouse Viewing tips for guys without trackIR  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Mouse Viewing tips for guys without trackIR
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 03:42:21 AM »
BnZs,

No one is able to tell you what you see.  I have been trying for years to say the same thing.  My dear friends may have some super equipment or ideal predator vision, but I just think that they mostly have simply adjusted their expectations of what they should be seeing.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having the opportunity evade enemies without a big  :airplane: < RED BANNER screaming out here I am, you can shoot now.  Yes, it makes it harder to spot your enemy.  But even with settings tweaked and a 42 inch monitor it is just as hard for them to spot you.

Look at it this way, the virtual reality that you came to grow to love, known and AH2, is offering you another "reality" where the planes that shoot at you are some of the planes that would have shot at your plane in history.  To add to this cartoon, excuse me, virtual experience, some guys decided to offer you the challenge of identifying a bad guy, by looking at the shape and markings on his aircraft.

You have in just a few days, pointed out the flaws in the code that do not mesh well with the "close to reality" virtual dream.  I am very much in agreement with you on these points:  two dimensional pixels cannot duplicate human vision;  unless zoomed in, aircraft are reduced to generic shapes past a certain reasonable range that humans would easily identify shapes and colors;  unless someone is using trackIR, mouse views or some other free wheeling head movement, aircraft are much more easily lost during combat engagements.

The only question that remains:  Why do so many players pay money to fly a WWI and WWII game with emphasis on great details in accuracy of performance, armaments, and construction, and then flock to arenas that dispense whatever flavor aircraft to any pilot on any side, the majority of their playing time ignoring the only 24 hour arena that resembles the historical settings from which the aircraft were tools of survival and necessity?  Is it because they like enemy icons?  It was that way before no enemy icons, and I don't ever see that changing. 

What is changing, is the tide that is bringing more and more good sticks like yourself back home to a "combat theater".
  I sincerely hope so, because what may look from a passing glance as a fantasy to play in a "special" sandbox, is actually the result of dedicated volunteers grinding out ideas, researching and critically examining whether or not ideas stand up to the goals and values that have always been associated with the AvA and Combat Theater.  To rephrase what Jimson just said, I think no enemy icons is a step in the right direction.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 05:34:15 AM »
I thought I'd hijack this AvA thread (just for the irony value), to point out this related thread:-

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,305477.0.html

Early days for the software yet, but some players say they've found a decent set up, PC and webcam issues notwithstanding, to use it with.

Might be worth a test before anyone splashes out on a TrackIR.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »
IOLCL  holds international flight sim completions
.... its like the Olympics of the flight Sim world... Each country has one(1) team. The USA team is TUSA.. I'm on it so I can speak from first hand experience....
The standard for this organisation in their competitions is  NO ICONS, NO RADAR, pure Navigational skills are required. As well as brevity in communication and keeping your head on a swivel.
This is a global organisation and on the cutting edge of flight simming.. We were one of the first groups to beta Tir for natural point..

When I hear all this debate about no icons
 It makes me question it a bit
If pepole want to do not move beyond the status quo that's fine...  but don't try to hold others back..

Its a computer simulation its not going to ever be "real" no icons makes things more immersing for many in this world.... More than glowing red and green icons imo..

Since the introduction of track ir more and more have moved to no icons
Any dedicated flightsimer worth his salt should be using track ir or something like it in this day and age. Hat switch's are old school and fast becoming obsolete.
You will notice most complants about no icons come from folks w/o track ir ..as its very hard to compete with those that use it...much frustration arises.

I can trully admire the guys guts and skill that stick out the AvA no icon enviroment w/o tir..

Personaly I recomend tir...once the unfamiliarity of track ir is over come flight simulation becomes a totally new experience! you cant imagine why any would flight with out it and you truly don't know what your missing...

Whats great about AH  is there are several arenas to choose from
There are other arena's... its not like All of AH is no icons, Just the AVA.

This way paying customers actually have a choice..unlike...Air Warrior that mandated pure axis v allies that eventually killed it in the opinion of many..

AH2, il2 stermovic, Rise of flight, and most every other sim allow the players to choose their style of play. That's a recipe for success and maintains a demographic that is very broad.
Allowing choices for customers is just good business..
This way if you don't like no icons you have a choice.. personally if there wasn't a axis v allies arena with no icons I would not play this Sim... As it is I fly  3 other on line flight simulations, plus this one.. They all offer axis v allies with no icons too...
Allowing a No icon Axis v allies arena keeps one more paying customer on the books.

Its only one mans opinion.. but thats how I look at it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:47:23 AM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 04:16:46 PM »
IMPROVISE
OVERCOME
ADAPT

it really is that simple.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 07:14:25 PM »
thanks but ill keep my hat switches. they're cheaper!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 07:28:52 PM »
thanks but ill keep my hat switches

:aok

I love the realism of the mouse look but I cannot leave my hand off the throttle to use it well.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »

This way paying customers actually have a choice..unlike...Air Warrior that mandated pure axis v allies that eventually killed it in the opinion of many..AH2, il2 stermovic, Rise of flight, and most every other sim allow the players to choose their style of play. That's a recipe for success and maintains a demographic that is very broad.

This way if you don't like no icons you have a choice.. personally if there wasn't a axis v allies arena with no icons I would not play this Sim... As it is I fly  3 other on line flight simulations, plus this one.. They all offer axis v allies with no icons too...
Allowing a No icon Axis v allies arena keeps one more paying customer on the books.

:headscratch:  :headscratch:

AW die'n out had nothing to do with :
..unlike...Air Warrior that mandated pure axis v allies that eventually killed it in the opinion of many..

that never happened, not in the 8 to 9 years I played AW

EDIT: erased long explanation of AW and it's demise

lets all just hope that the trend keeps growing as far as the arena keeps gaining population, lets quit arguing over the no icons/with icons ...... either come fly the cartoon planes "without enemy icons" with us in the AvsA, or go fly them somewhere else "with enemy icons" if you prefer otherwise.......

thanks for the tips, BNZs  :salute

:cheers:

TC
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:07:38 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:43 AM »
IOLCL  holds international flight sim completions
.... its like the Olympics of the flight Sim world... Each country has one(1) team. The USA team is TUSA.. I'm on it so I can speak from first hand experience....
The standard for this organisation in their competitions is  NO ICONS, NO RADAR, pure Navigational skills are required. As well as brevity in communication and keeping your head on a swivel.
This is a global organisation and on the cutting edge of flight simming.. We were one of the first groups to beta Tir for natural point..

When I hear all this debate about no icons
 It makes me question it a bit
If pepole want to do not move beyond the status quo that's fine...  but don't try to hold others back..

Its a computer simulation its not going to ever be "real" no icons makes things more immersing for many in this world.... More than glowing red and green icons imo..

Since the introduction of track ir more and more have moved to no icons
Any dedicated flightsimer worth his salt should be using track ir or something like it in this day and age. Hat switch's are old school and fast becoming obsolete.
You will notice most complants about no icons come from folks w/o track ir ..as its very hard to compete with those that use it...much frustration arises.

I can trully admire the guys guts and skill that stick out the AvA no icon enviroment w/o tir..

Personaly I recomend tir...once the unfamiliarity of track ir is over come flight simulation becomes a totally new experience! you cant imagine why any would flight with out it and you truly don't know what your missing...

Whats great about AH  is there are several arenas to choose from
There are other arena's... its not like All of AH is no icons, Just the AVA.

This way paying customers actually have a choice..unlike...Air Warrior that mandated pure axis v allies that eventually killed it in the opinion of many..

AH2, il2 stermovic, Rise of flight, and most every other sim allow the players to choose their style of play. That's a recipe for success and maintains a demographic that is very broad.
This way if you don't like no icons you have a choice.. personally if there wasn't a axis v allies arena with no icons I would not play this Sim... As it is I fly  3 other on line flight simulations, plus this one.. They all offer axis v allies with no icons too...

Well put, Raven.  :aok   Seems we had a long joust about icons vs no icons, camouflage, immersion, reality, etc a few months ago.  It continues to amaze how some will screw themselves into the ceiling about "no icons" in the AvA when there are so many other arenas available with a vast number of red and green "here I am, come and get me" banners to chose from.

I've been using Track IR for most of my AH time and very much enjoy the real world immersion facet of it.  It does take some time and effort to get use to, as with no icons.  As always, it's up to each of us how we want to spend our $14.95.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all